DSR - "Within/Without"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DSR - "Within/Without"

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 23:13

Today (Thursday, June 14) make sure to watch the season 8 episodes "Within" and "Without", focusing on the scenes between Doggett and Scully. What do you think their initial opinion of the other was? What was your first opinion of the two of them leading the series as Doggett and Scully (and not Mulder and Scully)? During these first episodes is there any moment where you think their relationship took a change of heart and turned towards being cooperative and respectful? If you are already a DSR fan, did you jump on board the relationship pairing in the season 8 premiere episodes, and if so, why?

For those of you who may have your XF DVD box sets packed away, or if you haven't gotten around to buying them yet, or just want to watch the episodes on your computer, check out this link:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tomorrow, or when you are done watching these episodes, come back to this thread and discuss your thoughts and findings about the relationship.

Within/Without Doggett/Scully Drabble Challenge
Due: Thursday, June 16th
Submit to: You can post your drabble in this thread (or email to: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])
Word Count Requirements: 500 words or less

In this DSR Drabble Challenge, explore the beginning feelings and emotions of John Doggett and Dana Scully. How do they feel about the other? What is their opinion of each other? You can have a missing scene, or thoughts during a scene of the episode, or a post-ep story. Explore ideas about DSR that are new to you (you can use the episode discussion with other members to help inspire you), if you can, try to present something new and unique to their relationship that may not have been thought of before.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: DSR - "Within/Without"

Post by gorgclaud on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:15

Not promising any thing but might try at some Drabble.

I have discussed Within And Without in great detail so much and in the Rewatch, not sure what else to say... blink

gorgclaud
Narc!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 23:23

The one thing that stands out to me about the Doggett/Scully dynamic in the season 8 premiere episodes is how we go from their first scene together to their last scene together.

In the first scene Doggett hides his identity from Scully to try to get information about Mulder from her (not a smart move, but then we have to give the guy a break, he didn't know her at this time otherwise he would have been more forthcoming with her for sure). Scully ends up angry with him and tosses water in his face. TA DA! This action by Scully grabs Doggett's attention immediately. He knew he had the water in the face coming, he doesn't blame her for doing it, and as she walks out of the room he's got this look on his face that just screams "yeah, I dig her". He even seems to check her out!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The last two scenes that they have together in "Without" show just how far the two have come since the Face-Water incident in "Within". When Doggett sees Scully lying helplessly on the ground, in tears, utterly broken and without anyone to comfort her. He is the first to scoop her up into his arms and provide her comfort, even though she likely does not want this comfort to come from him. I think this is the point where Doggett (unknowingly) began to fall for Scully. I think that he's the kind of man who is attracted to a woman who is emotionally unavailable to him (since Scully is with Mulder and he's figured this out), he's also seeing her at the worst time in her life and is the only one there to help her. The way that he holds her, so close to his body, cradeling her in his arms, I don't know if it was intentional, but I'd bet that TPTB intended for fans to see Doggett and Scully in this manner for a reason, and that reason was to create a little UST (if only one-sided at this time) between them. For those of you new at SoX, this scene is most commonly referred to as The Comfort Scene wub

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The last scene in the hospital in which Doggett gives Scully a "Get Well Soon" card also stands out as significant. We are told that Doggett is now assigned as Scully's new partner on the x-files, and hear in his voice some hesitation and perhaps some career-motivated personal disappointment in his accepting of the assignment. From Scully we see that she is shocked, stunned even that the Bureau is so quick to dismiss Mulder, dropping his missing persons case (somewhat) to assign her a new partner. It's obvious that neither Doggett nor Scully wants to be in the position that they find themselves in. She doesn't want him around, and he doesn't want to be on the x-files, but they have been thrown together and have to deal with it. I think this is a great precursor to their interactions in following episodes throughout season 8 that eventually lead to them trusting each other, respecting each other, and caring for each other outside of the restraints of the working environment.

Someone remind me to talk about the argument scene in the middle of the desert from "Within", that's another good one for DSR.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 03:45

Yeah, the arguement scene is epic. I might try to watch it later and have a chat about it.

I agree with everything you have said here.

They do go from one extreme to the other very quickly.

Whereas with Mulder when he met Scully, he might have known she was sent to spy on him, but I dont think she knew that or intended to do that and nevertheless, Mulder was light hearted with her and excepted her very quickly.

With Doggett and Scully, there is MASSIVE tension to start with and ending with. That is DAMN SEXY!

I think the reason Doggett hides who is he is from her from when he meets her, is cause he knows The X Files and Mulder's reputation of theories and of not trusting anyone. So in order to find Mulder, cause Doggett is loyal to the case he is assigned to, he does whatever it takes to get information. He basically knows that Scully (and Skinner) are bound to hide whatever they know. And from Scully and Skinners conversation before they go in and meet Doggett, they plan on doing just that. Doggett basically tries to catch her at it and Scully catches HIM at it. This shows how simular they are to one another. They are both loyal to the game and are both trying to hide something. BUt they both ease it out of eachother.

When Doggett scoops Scully up, as she cries, hurt, bruised and crying on a cold hospital floor, into his warm arms and lap, he does this cause he doesnt like to see an agent, a woman nor Scully like this. For the time leading to this, Scully isnt just a woman or a fellow agent, she is fiesty, emotional, clever, dogmatic, strong and she clearly is motivated in her actions in these episodes by her love and loyalty to Mulder. Another man. To Doggett, that is sexy. He likes a strong woman, who speaks her mind. And all he ever wants is the truth out of her, even if he doesnt agree with her truth.

This is when he goes from 'digging' her to having deep emotions for her. What man could hold a woman in his arms, who is physically hurt and crying helplessly and uncontrollably and not start to have feelings? Doggett is a real man, he sees her hurt and he takes the move to be the only and 1st man to comfort her.

She might not have had the same feelings or wanted it to be him that is holding her, but I think Scully loves the way Doggett is always following her, always asking for what she thinks. And the way she asks what he thinks when they are in the hospital and Doggett's men are saying "No one has gotten past them" shows she wants his opinion now. And he goes at it alone, walks off without her, now he is in charge and she follows him, gun drawn and ready to protect this man. She knows there might be danger, she knows he might not know what kind of danger it is...if she was really stubborn and hated him in anyway, she would let him find this out by himself...especially to hit it home hard how his disbelieving might get him hurt. But she doesnt do that. She protects him.

This is straight after the arguing in the desert. He comes to her without his men, tells her she is where the action is and knows now she knows something about whats going on. Scully is tired, hot, frustrated, and that is EXACTLY how Doggett looks and feels in the scene. They both feel the same way and they both want to find Mulder.

Its when she accuses him of not doing what it takes to find him, that he doesnt argue back with her, but tries to delve deep into what exactly she would do if the alien space ship came. Just because Mulder would do "whatever it takes" he is not interested in what Mulder would do, cause he aint there, Doggett knows what he would do and he wants Scully to be her own person, like he is. Then he reminds her that lying to do what ever it takes is not the best move...he is telling her very bluntly that the way Mulder was was wrong, anti-authority, paranoid and negative....Mulder is so untrusting, that Scully now, like breathing, does this paranoid, lying tactics all the time too. She learnt it all from Mulder and that is unlike her character deep down. Doggett is telling her she needn't do that, she needs to be honest with him. He says "You mean lie, like you've been lying to me" - he makes it really personal. He is hurt and frustrated by her mistrust of him. He is the good guy and he wont let up in making her see that, even so early on.

Again, in this moment, she lies straight to his face, catches her at it and with that he admits that he must be following Skinner and her moves, the way he says he is not. They are both caught out again by eachother very quickly. Lying doesnt suit these two at all.

You dont see Scully argue so heatedly with another agent before. You see her get upset, she might express her opinion but never before has she been so open, so angry, so hot-headed and sensitive as she is when she argues with this man Doggett. Why is she trying to prove herself to him? Why does he want to know what she thinks? Why is he shouting at her? Why is she shouting at him...if this were some comedy, they would shut up mid-shout and rip eachother clothes off. They actually care what they think of one another and they are trying to prove their worth, their rights, their experiences. When you shout at someone like that, you might as well stand infront of them naked...its that open!

gorgclaud
Narc!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum