DSR - What is your understanding of this relationship?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DSR - What is your understanding of this relationship?

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 23:06

So let's talk about what our thoughts and feelings are about the Doggett/Scully relationship at this point, the second half of Awareness Month.

What do you know right now about their relationship? What are your initial feelings about their relationship? Is the Doggett/Scully relationship something that you had given thought to in the past, or is it a brand new train of thought for you?
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: DSR - What is your understanding of this relationship?

Post by possibilitiesDSR on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 01:56

Dana Doggett wrote:So let's talk about what our thoughts and feelings are about the Doggett/Scully relationship at this point, the second half of Awareness Month.

What do you know right now about their relationship? What are your initial feelings about their relationship? Is the Doggett/Scully relationship something that you had given thought to in the past, or is it a brand new train of thought for you?

I know that they are so close to having more than a friendship but they keep pushing themselves away from each other. Scully is so lost in Mulder and used to him that the idea of leaving her relationship with him probably gives her some kind of anxiety, plus she probably feels like she is the only one that can take care of him because she is really all he has. She knows that he would probably break down somewhere if she was to ever leave him but I do think they're better off as friends than lovers. Doggett has all what Scully has talked about all through out the earlier seasons and he's what she wanted Mulder to be and then when she ran in to her dream guy, she wasn't wanting to believe that he existed and made up all these other things not to trust him in order not to get involved. It's so strange...
possibilitiesDSR
Quiet Willy

http://www.facebook.com/kimberlar

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:53

For me, over the years, the more I see them the more I think they are the sexiest and best suited pair I have ever seen on TV.

The funny thing for me was it wasnt like I tried to pair Doggett with anyone, or Scully. It was just when I watched him, I loved him. When I watched him with Scully, I loved them together. When I watched him with her, he treated her beautifully. Mulder never did. It was a easy thought to me.

I didnt even think that much about it when it was on. Sometimes I would just raise my eyebrows of moments of USt between them. Then it was looking more clear that Doggett had DEEP and LOVING feelings for Scully...and it was being shown in a way that the show never did before.

Never on the show were the love relationships of the characters ever really dealt with. They were mostly a plot device if they were ever done. But when it came to Doggett loving Scully, it wasnt a plot device, it was natural, it was so smooth and it was so entertaining and I think it was all by accident - for everyone, for the character, the writers and Robert Patrick.

I think the PTB were probably trying to create SOME sort of chemistry between them but I dont think anyone expected this kind to develop.

So the new season was even more entertaining as we followed Doggett through the developments of his love for someone he shouldnt even THINK about loving.

Then, when ever I picked up the show now and again into my hobbies, I was and still am drawn to this pairing and the excitement I felt for it in the 1st place. There has to be a good reason for that. Some things i naturally go off, but not this.

To me, its so natural, unforced, real and loving. Its like watching all the good couples we know on TV or real life go through their moments of levels of love, from Cloud 9 moments to sad feelings of unrequited love.

Now, we see Scully in I Want To Believe stuck in a very depressing and stale, unromantic relationship with Mulder. When I see this, it just again naturally leads me to think of Doggett, the better man for her.

To see Scully with Mulder so sad and so pale, it just makes me KNOW that DSR makes the best sense in the world and always has done.

To me, the more the years go by, the more we see in hindsight of her with Mulder even in the early days, Doggett to be her man is frustratingly the most logical and romantic and sexy ship to defend.
gorgclaud
Narc!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by possibilitiesDSR on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 01:03

Scully is totally depressed and keeps getting caught up in a damn web with Mulder. I still think it was the stupidest thing in the world to NOT have Doggett be the Agent helping them in the second film. Unbelievable.
possibilitiesDSR
Quiet Willy

http://www.facebook.com/kimberlar

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 05:15

It is unbelieveable and completely done on purpose. Robert came along and was better than Mulder and no one expected that.
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by jsabat28 on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 23:01

It took me a few episodes to really get a good handle on their relationship, but I think the first thing that really struck me was how patient and gentle he was, proving to her that he could be trusted.
Even in the way he spoke to her, even when he was voicing his opinion and disagreeing with her, it was always said with respect, and gentle concern.
*sigh*
Sorry, I know I"m not answering the question, am I?
jsabat28
RIP, Sweetie - 1974-2017

Back to top Go down

Post by JeSouhaite on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 23:42

Good question! The Doggett/Scully relationship was extremely interesting to watch. I've got to get my thoughts in order (plus I should really go to bed), so, I'll be back tomorrow with an answer.
JeSouhaite
Meepmork

http://www.xfilesuniverse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 09:31

jsabat28 wrote:It took me a few episodes to really get a good handle on their relationship, but I think the first thing that really struck me was how patient and gentle he was, proving to her that he could be trusted.
Even in the way he spoke to her, even when he was voicing his opinion and disagreeing with her, it was always said with respect, and gentle concern.
*sigh*
Sorry, I know I"m not answering the question, am I?

glomp brilliant Je S.
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by JeSouhaite on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 21:16

DSR. When Within/Without originally aired... who would have guessed that this would have been a possibility?

I just think back to Season 8, Episode 1. Scully is pregnant. Mulder is missing. Doggett is introduced as somewhat of an antagonist. OH, I love that first scene of D&S together. What an incredible way to start off a relationship. The water in the face just created some sort of wild tension between them.

And, with each show after that, the viewer got a chance to see their relationship build. It started at odds, yet Doggett and Scully grew to depend on each other. They grew to care for each other. This relationship was extremely interesting to watch as it developed.

Doggett is so honorable and caring. He never wavers from that. He may be skeptical at times, but he genuinely cares for Scully. He may very well be in love with her, such that he is somewhat guarded toward really sharing his feelings with her. I can truly sense from Dogget that he WANTS to take care of Scully.

Yet, it's Scully who makes me wonder. She's my predicament. I think Scully makes Doggett wonder, too. First off, the writers and the "William Story" just threw a wrench into the whole thing. (LOL - Where's the William thread? I'm sure you've got one, and I'll find it sooner or later. Ugh. William!) With William being in the picture, I wonder if Scully continues on this quest to find Mulder that she can't free herself to open herself up to someone else. We see her desperate to find Mulder; and yet, we see her finding comfort in Doggett. I think this whole "triangle", if you will, really brought back the UST that we enjoyed during the early seasons in the X-Files.

I think that's why I like to discuss the DSR topic. I love the UST. The mythology was convoluted, and I couldn't follow it. I'm still not clear on why Mulder had to leave (I'm not sure I care to know, but you can try to educate me if you'd like). So, for me rather than focus on the mythology, I enjoyed watching Doggett and Scully solving cases together, and I enjoyed watching their relationship develop. They had chemistry. There's no bones about it.

JeSouhaite
Meepmork

http://www.xfilesuniverse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 22:23

So far (I think) this is our only baby William thread (it's in the Mythology folder): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In all honesty, by the time that Mulder returns I think Scully is drawn between the two men. After three months of thinking Mulder was dead, she seemed content and well into "moving on" before Skinner insisted they dig Mulder up. I think in that time her relationship with Doggett grew and she came to see him as much more than just a FBI partner. I think by this time that she probably had considered him as someone who could be her man once everything settled down, her baby was born, and both of them would adjust to how things were going to be between them (with her not his partner anymore). It's obvious in season 9 that both of them wanted to spend time with each other, and relied on each other for comfort - Scully was not required to help Doggett (and Reyes) out with x-file cases in season 9. She was a teacher in that season, and *she* chose to drop everything to be with Doggett, to help him out, to go out of town with him on a case that wasn't even related to a x-file. I really, really think that in season 9 Scully was just about ready to free herself from Mulder in order to be with Doggett.

Sadly, Mulder's quest had taken over Scully's life, and I think she felt obligated to be with Mulder - to support him in his absence, to "be with him" when he left her, etc. I'm sure the rational part of Scully's mind knows that as long as she is with Mulder that her life will be Mulder's life and nothing more (and we see this in IWTB).

Like you said she was desperate to find Mulder, but sought out comfort with Doggett in his absence (why not Skinner? why not her mother? - she chose to find comfort with Doggett). I think this is very telling of her feelings (and perhaps her growing love) for him.

I love UST. The UST between John and Dana - as you said - brought back the UST that we all enjoyed during the earlier seasons of TXF. That's probably the biggest draw to the DSR for me. I love UST, but with this DS/UST there lies realistic potential for these two to find love with each other. Whereas Mulder/Scully is that idea of "opposites attract", to me, that idea isn't a lasting one, and that's (one small reason) why I can't get behind that relationship past season 7's "Amor Fati". DSR just seems so much more real to me. If John and Dana were real people they would be together. They're made for each other.

I loved watching Doggett and Scully solve cases together too. Loved it, loved their chemistry and how they were together. Season 8 is so classic to me because of that.

doggett ♥️ scully1
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top