Writing Your Own VS

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Writing Your Own VS

Post by Geekery on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:04

Woof. He's quite the looker lmao. As "Scully's younger brother", I just might have to be her BFF!!!

A friend of mine and myself are finally working on a VS...and let me tell you, it is quite fun to pic bio pictures from all over the place to play characters.
Geekery
Agent Caleca

http://community.livejournal.com/begginafterdark/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:31

Makes you wish that Max Martini had played Charles Scully and had been made to be a regural (very, very regular) recurring character in the Doggett Years. Can you imagine that much man beef between him and Robert?! OMG!

Sometimes a part of me misses working on FRVS (which is why there are a few random "Fox & Alex and..." short stories planned, and a FRVS/LOST crossover miniseries in the planning too). I miss writing Doggett/Scully in FRVS so much, I love the relationship we developed for the two of them in FRVS, very sweet and loving. I miss that. This is probably why lately I've been sitting down (when I can't sleep at night) and weaving through all my various notes for my XF/DSR/mytharc novel, I want to bring a loving relationship to Doggett and Scully again. Last night I worked out some of the timeline starting from June 2000 (Within/Without) to Spring 2013 (post-colonization). I think I need to approach writing this novel as if it is a VS, that might make it easier to come up with stories that link things together smoothly. I'm glad that I have the experience of organizing FRVS under me, otherwise planning out this novel would seem impossible LOL

Do you have a website set up yet for your VS?
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekery on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:35

I'm glad you admit that at least part of you misses working on FRVS--did you see me the other day? I was like you guys only have 10 seasons? THAT'S IT?! Lmao. I was like this can't be--of course I have a ton to read, but I'm one of those wacky people that want certain things to last forever...and FVRS was one of them.

I'll say--you must have organization completely down. That's a good thing. A novel?! Ohh...you go girl! haha.

Nah--a website? Are you crazy? We just started a pilot about a week ago and then we just deleted it a few nights ago because it wasn't what we wanted anymore. There are so many characters coming in from so many different areas (currently Mulder is the only X-Files character in it) while the others are coming from everywhere else--which is what makes it confusing as well.

Like a loser I printed out that section you guys have at FRVS where you guys lend a helping hand to anyone who wants to create a VS--I don't care if it isn't that updated, it's like my bible, LMAO! I even made my friend look at it, but me? Oh I printed it out out and I carry it around in my laptop bag.

Organization is hard and because my friend wants to type it over aim and then edit it in the script program, I am like uh... because she can't write that well on her own so she needs a partner and me on the other hand, I want to grab something and run with it--but I hold back. I just told her it might help us to assign characters to each other during whatever scene we are writing.

Anyway, it's like impossible. I want to get the first season done (which will only be about like 12 to 13 episodes--which seems like a freaking million years away right now) and then start half of the second before we even start any website...or even a livejournal first to see how things goes.

I tried to write one--"The Alliances" but it didn't work out, but now my writing partner is back talking to me (we stopped talking for about two years--we weren't angry at each other though, just a long story, really) and I've got help...but it's taking SO, SO long...it's insane. I even have two posters for the first two episodes, but now we're switching things up. We wanted to start with a storyline, but what's the point in that? Shouldn't it be that we start with a few stand-alones before we get any minor/major storyline going?

Look at me--like a peasant asking its MASTERS. LMAO!!!
Geekery
Agent Caleca

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 13:01

Eventually what happened with FRVS is that Kristi pretty much relinquished laying out the story arcs for each season and we built our character progression/relationships, stand-alone arcs, and mythology around the main plot points of the season. I may just go through our boxes of FRVS material and see if I can find a sample of how I sat down and plotted out a season and share it with you, it's exactly how I'm approaching my novel, and (for me) it works. But you've got to have all your writers on the same page in order to organize the arc of your seasons, all writers (it's good that there's only two of you) have to be on the same page in terms of overall arcs and character/relationship development. Then once you know your main plot points for a season, you can work other stories around those and choose which episodes will cover your backbone/mytharc story.

Another thing that can help in writing with a partner in a virtual series is to just write your episode without any help from the other person, then send it to her and have her go through it, and make notes in a different color for suggestions as to what to add, take out, word differently, etc. Kristi and I lived together throughout the entire run of FRVS so we just sat down once a month or sometimes more and discussed the series/characters/relationships in-depth and that really worked for us. Always keep notes from these types of meetings and always know what you want to discuss before having a meeting like this. Don't go into a writers meeting without any idea about what to talk about.

I love that you printed out our section/article on how to run a VS! That's great. We put that up on our site for exactly that reason, to help others learn from what we learned in the experience. I should go back and read that and see if we can revise it now that we've been done with FRVS for almost two years.

I think it's all right to start with a miniscule part of a major story arc, but don't reveal too much too soon - before you delve into the major story arc, sit down and plot it out (in general) from its beginning to how you envision its end. For example back in 1999 once we realized that we wanted to keep writing FRVS stories Kristi and I knew that we wanted the series to end with Mulder and Krycek saving the world from the aliens, we weren't exactly sure how to get to that point or how they would do it, but we knew we wanted that to be the very last episode of the series - then we had to use our imaginations to come up with the sprinkles and frosting of the FRVS mythology to play out over ten seasons.

Our belief is "don't approach our mytharc like Chris Carter approached the mytharc of TXF... have a plan, know what we're doing, and never EVER pull shit out of our ass like Carter did because that will doom the series."

Don't be afraid to acknowledge your major arc at the beginning, but I also do think it's a very good idea to start out with stories that aren't too complicated to get your readers interested in the world you are creating and its characters/relationships. If you can't grab your readers' attention with character, it will be even more difficult to grab them with a complex major story arc.

Take a look at the first season of FRVS for example... I don't remember details of the episodes perfectly, but just looking at the episode titles I don't think any of them (maybe "The Pilot") have any real ties to the FRVS mythology. In "The Pilot" Mulder, Krycek, Scully, and Marita are traveling back to the US from Russia and we just hint at the idea that they were there investigating something related to the mytharc. Granted our first four seasons were slapstick silly and lacked direction, but once we hit the episode "The Project" in season 4 we began to really take our mytharc seriously and the series from season 5 on got better and better (IMO of course) simply because we got our butts into gear and came up with a plan to carry us to our final season.

I did see your comments on the FRVS tag board :) All I have to say is... don't fret about not having new seasons... when Kristi and I find the time (and inspiration) to write for the FRVS world again, we have several plans up our sleeves like prequel movies (taking place when the FRVS characters are kids, teenagers and college students), "Fox & Alex and..." short stories (for more ludicrous adventures of Fox and Alex), and a FRVS/LOST mini-series in which Fox and Alex run amok on the LOST island. And there's always the Goofy Spooky section of the SoX Forum where you can interact with the FRVS characters...

We're so off topic! LOL crackup
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekery on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 13:38

I know, I know--I'm sorry. I shouldn't have mentioned my VS--but I couldn't help it. I made a ton of bio pics for it already and then you mentioned how you used MM for C.Scully and I was like oh my god... LMAO. Shame on me!!!

Wow--well I am going to show my friend all of what you just said because it'll do us some good. We've been on the same page so far so that is helpful. I know we're itching to get to all the silly and strange episodes, but in order to do that we need to establish other characters--because though some know each others, others don't--see what I mean? It's like more confusing when the majority of the characters aren't coming from the same series at first. We have a bunch of characters who's location are in Washington, D.C--but they're not in the same agency. Some of FBI, some are NCIS, and others are Internal Affairs.

But you're right--just yesterday I told my friend that we can't have a major storyline for the first episode because out of the two series I love the most (as far as law enforcement goes) it's The X-Files and now NCIS--and their first episodes introduced characters, but it also started a case and closed a case by the end of the first episode. And she agreed--but it's like now what are we to do? If start in D.C then we'll have to start with just one of the Agency's--and which one will it be and what will they investigate? We haven't figured that out yet.

Oh...movies, short stories (as I saw). I really need to read some more of the series. So long as that it never goes offline! Lmao--I LOVE going to FRVS even to just take a reassuring glance...I'm so nostalgic and sentimental that way!
Geekery
Agent Caleca

Back to top Go down

Writing Your Own VS

Post by Lilith on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 13:51

Not that I know much about this, plus I don't want to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, but... not all shows start like that (here would be a good place to mention that those two shows you love the most are also on top of my list :P see my avatar? wink) Dexter and Supernatural for example started the major storylines from the first episodes, though it was only a few small hints. Who says there have to be specific rules?! Just do what you wanna do :)
Lilith
Stupendous Yappi

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 14:36

Lilith wrote:Not that I know much about this, plus I don't want to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, but... not all shows start like that (here would be a good place to mention that those two shows you love the most are also on top of my list :P see my avatar? wink) Dexter and Supernatural for example started the major storylines from the first episodes, though it was only a few small hints. Who says there have to be specific rules?! Just do what you wanna do :)

Your opinion is always welcome cheer That's very true about "Dexter" and "Supernatural", both of those started their main story arc with their first episode, but I'd put money on it that the creator(s)/writer(s) had a very, very, very good idea of what their story arc would be for more than their first season when they chose to delve into the backbone right off the top. I think introducing the main arc in the first episode can be done, but as you said with small hints (you don't want to overwhelm your readers).

There really aren't specific rules to follow, but more guidelines to help writers not make the same mistakes that other shows/writers have made. I'll be the first to admit that the first four seasons of FRVS were not well-planned at all, and Kristi and I learned from that mistake and got our butts into the right gear and came up with an arc to carry FRVS through a tenth season (and two "movies").

As we say in our "How FRVS Works" article... "Don't write for an audience, write to find an audience." and "Write what you like, or you're fucked. If you don't like what you're writing, you won't like your series and won't care about quality. If you write what other people tell you to write, you're driven by others and not your creative vision."

Link to "How FRVS Works" article:
http://www.serenityofx.com/frvs/html/extras_howfrvsworks.html
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekery on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 19:06

Lilith wrote:Not that I know much about this, plus I don't want to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, but... not all shows start like that (here would be a good place to mention that those two shows you love the most are also on top of my list :P see my avatar? wink) Dexter and Supernatural for example started the major storylines from the first episodes, though it was only a few small hints. Who says there have to be specific rules?! Just do what you wanna do :)

My friend mentioned that to me--and she also said, "Not every show has to have a Pilot without a title." and I was like YES IT DOES! ... then I was like actually, you're right. :p

I did notice your AV--Gibbs is cemented to my fucking radar--Even when I don't see him, I go lookin 'for him. blush
Geekery
Agent Caleca

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekery on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 19:08

Dana Doggett wrote:

As we say in our "How FRVS Works" article... "Don't write for an audience, write to find an audience." and "Write what you like, or you're fucked. If you don't like what you're writing, you won't like your series and won't care about quality. If you write what other people tell you to write, you're driven by others and not your creative vision."

Link to "How FRVS Works" article:
http://www.serenityofx.com/frvs/html/extras_howfrvsworks.html

I LOVE "don't write for an audience, write to find an audience." I even highlighted it in my printed version--I told you I was lame, lmao!
Geekery
Agent Caleca

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 20:54

"Don't write for an audience, write to find an audience" is my motto. I live by it when I write. Also, it's good to write honestly and from the heart.

As for the topic of pilot episodes, you want to intrigue your readers, that's the point of them, to draw them in and keep them coming. "Lost" did it (you all must've seen this show coming out of me sooner or later). But I was skeptical about "Lost" and wasn't sure I'd want to watch it, but halfway through the pilot episode I was hooked and needed to know what happened. Luckily, I had the first season on dvd so I could keep watching 'till the sun came up! LOL

I think it's great that you're writing a VS. It can be a frustrating, miserable and down right annoying time of your life, but at the same time it can be an experience that you'll feel accomplished about when it's done. I don't regret writing FRVS, no matter how much I wanted to die writing it - because writing is a lonely and miserable experience when a deadline looms over your every word and delays make you wish you were buried alive and being eaten by bugs. But I loved it. I loved the feeling of finishing an episode.

So many great comments have been said about this, I don't know what more I could add. If at any time you need advice or whatever, just drop us a line, we're here for you! hug
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekery on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 22:40

Well I'm glad you think it's great... we're getting there, but it might be a real slow start. It's like taking on another project of mine...I should really wait, but I just can't. Even trying to sit on my hands won't stop my mind from reeling!

Oh you know I'll be here to ask--or anywhere. Wherever the both of you are, I'd run ya down!

I think it's true though...gotta write from the heart. I do everything from the heart.
Geekery
Agent Caleca

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 22:42

It's hard to write when you don't write from the heart (been there, done that, and I hated it -- I wanted to die LOL). You know, I say a lot of the time when I talk about writing FRVS that I wanted to die, but it really wasn't that terrible (but maybe time is lessening the pain LOL). My lesson I learned with FRVS is that when the heart stops caring, that's when you stop writing (hence, why I haven't written for X-Files in so long).

Hey, we can affiliate FRVS (and all our others sites) with your VS whenever you get a place on the web for it. smile
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekery on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 09:50

Man...ain't that the truth. When I stopped caring about The X-Files, I stopped writing fan fiction for it. It just happens...you get so disgusted and warn down. At least I did.

Oh sure...at first it might just be a livejournal because it's easier to set up (for me) and then...if it works out, we'll get a little page going and ya'll can link!
Geekery
Agent Caleca

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:24

Cool beans!

I think the reason I haven't written any XF fic in awhile is because I've been on a XF downer too (reasons why I need to watch an episode that isn't from season 9). As I think I said somewhere up above I'm working out the timeline of my XF novel (s8/s9 rewrite through colonization) and sorting out all the different notes that I have on different paths my story could take. I'm figuring out where I want to go with the mytharc and pacing of events within my timeline. It's BIG too, covering from 2000 until 2013 (at least). I'm even considering doing a prologue before jumping straight into the s8 rewrite part.

I did end up writing one page by hand the other night so, at least that's a start, right? I also plan on working on the Awareness Month episode drabbles to try to get back into thinking about the XF characters (esp. Follmer/Reyes since that will be a part of my novel).

And then there's the fact that I'm a Master Procrastinator...
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 13:56

It's always hard to write for something you don't give a crap about. I did it just a moment ago for the FRR drabble, actually found that I liked it. But - and this will sound strange for those who know me so well I'm writing - I like writing. I've had this, I don't know, explosion of writing creativity today. It's weird. And even in my novel I'm working on, my chapter I totally started over with is only 8 pages, and already longer in word count than my previous one (that needs some reworking) that is at 13 pages! Words are your friend!! Except for the word "stuff". I hate that word, unless it's used in dialogue that is appropriate to the character.

Where am I going with this?
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekery on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 20:51

The both of you are like fan-girl masterminds. LMAO. I don't know why I find that so hilariously cool, but I do.

When I read things like this, it makes me think how scary it is that whenever I see an episode of The X-Files on TV (which is very rare these days--at least for myself), I tend to 'try' to watch, but it always is on a break...then it comes back and after 3 minutes, I change the channel. For some reason I look at Mulder and Scully and I'm not sure what to think of either of them. I just don't understand why I was so head over heels in love and involved with Fox Mulder--to the point I could look at him for hours, listen to hims for hours, quote him for hours, and write about him for hours.

At the same time, I call myself an X-Files fan because there's always these little bits and pieces stuck way, way down inside of me--and when they're stuck down that deep no matter what you do or where you go in life, you take them along with you. You take them along with the love, the hate, the confusion, everything else.

Relating to my VS, the last M/O fic I wrote had been a series--and my version of Mulder had always been half and half. He had been what he was on the show up to season 5, but he was what I made him and what I had thought him to be off screen (or thought him to be within a different atmosphere/lifestyle)--so when my friend, two years ago, had asked me why I wanted to bring Mulder along if I couldn't even take watching an X-Files episode, I rambled on into this like half an hour love-fest. If I didn't catch myself, I would have gone on for more than that. And I do it now--eventually I know that he won't always be married to the original character I created, but at the same time I can't just put this large divide within their relationship. Like I can't sell Mulder out like that--because he's just more than what he was in The X-Files, he's "MY" Mulder...and I care about him even after these few years where I've refused to touch anything related to The X-Files (until I come here--then I get fucking sucked in!! lmao)...he means something to me. I might even say that I love him--and why? Because he brushes against those bits I've got way deep down inside. I know where he comes from and what he's done for me and my imagination. My friend says she understands, but I'm not sure if she really does, lmao. Generally when people don't like something or someone anymore, they just walk away and that's the end of it. CLEARLY I'm incapable of doing that--I carry so much around with me...may it be good, bad, or just plain ol' nuts!

...boy...I hope I'm making sense! blush blink
Geekery
Agent Caleca

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 23:12

I think the reason why Mulder is still with you is because it's not really the Mulder of the XF series that's with you, it's YOUR Mulder that has stayed with you all these years. I think sometimes I feel the same way about the XF characters, all of them are with me, I spent over 10 years of my life creating them, giving them lives and friendships and relationships that are meaningful to them. Ten years they have been with me, and I don't think that they'll ever go away. I like the XF characters a lot, but I love, adore (and maybe even worship) the FRVS characters because I feel they are so full of life and because I wrote their lives, friendships, hardships, angst, love, etc. I feel closer to my FRVS characters than I do their TXF counterparts (alter egos, whatever). I care more about my FRVS characters than I do the XF characters (sometimes - I still hold a lot of love and adoration for the XF John Doggett, he's the one character from TXF that I can also carry with me, along with Johnny Doggett of FRVS). I could probably talk more about my FRVS characters than I can the XF characters. So I'm pretty sure I understand exactly what you're talking about.

Even when I'm sick and tired of the XF series and don't want to watch it for a long, long, long, LONG time. I wouldn't be able to abandon my FRVS, even if I'm not writing it, nearly every day a new silly story or situation will come to my mind, or if I'm watching an actual XF episode I'll consider how would FRVS Mulder and Krycek deal with the situation of that episode. It's weird, but again... over ten years of my life was spent with the FRVS characters, they are a part of me, my humor is their humor, etc.

No matter how much the actual XF series can irritate me, anger me, annoy me, and disappoint me - like you - it "brushes against those bits I've got way deep down inside" because it has done shitloads for my imagination. If it weren't for TXF I don't think I'd have become this creative person that I am today, and for that I'm grateful (that TXF failed so miserably to live up to its potential).

I'm also incapable of walking away from TXF, it's a part of me, and it always will be. I don't mind that either because every once in awhile I can pull out TXF series and enjoy it, and remember back what it was like in my first years of watching it and being a fan, and remember that time with fond memories and nostalgia.

It's probably a little bit of good, bad, and just plain ol' nuts! LOL But oh well, I don't care. It's just another bit of me.

You totally make sense.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekery on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 23:41

Yes. That's it. He's MY MULDER! It sounds even better when somebody else says it! LMAO wink I'm asking for it, aren't I?

I completely understand. It was so strange when my friend and I dabbled in writing, we did it through "role playing" on AOL IM --not sure if I said that already, so forgive me if I did and I am repeating myself. Anyway, she wrote one scene between two of the characters and I became like obsessive with the both of them--and it wasn't even a relationship that they had, all it was, was a conversation. That's it--and I was fucking smitten like a whack-job.

Anyway-- we still haven't started our VS because we can't think of a fucking title (and other issues as well) , but without a Title, at least for me, I feel so utterly lost.
Geekery
Agent Caleca

Back to top Go down

Post by Cindersmommy on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 23:25

You can link my site too Kristi. biggrin
Cindersmommy
Pod Monster

http://lilangel387.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekery on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 23:46

Wait...what site do you have mg?!
Geekery
Agent Caleca

Back to top Go down

Post by Cindersmommy on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 07:15

My lil angel's Mulder Haven CB. biggrin
Cindersmommy
Pod Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekery on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 11:25

Oh mg you still have that?! Wow.... give me the link, I haven't been there in Y.E.A.R.S!
Geekery
Agent Caleca

Back to top Go down

Post by Cindersmommy on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 13:28

No prob CB, here ya go http://lilangel387.tripod.com

biggrin cheer
Cindersmommy
Pod Monster

Back to top Go down