When were M&S, individually, ready for a relationship?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When were M&S, individually, ready for a relationship?

Post by Cassiopeia on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 02:17

I originally posted this topic to the SoX Forum (serenityofx.com/soxhop/) a while back... found the thread was reposted at Rens and thought I should bring it back to where its home originally was :)

----------

I watched (and listened to) "The Unnatural" the other day to make screen captures and I've decided that this is THE episode where Mulder comes to realize his feelings/love for Scully and decides to act upon it because he's learned that no matter how important he may think hunting aliens and uncovering truths may be, that there are more important things in life and you can never forget that.

I think the story of the friendship between Josh Exley and Arthur Dales, and the story of Exley's transformation into being a human being because of his love for life and his love of baseball, really made Mulder sit down and prioritize (at least for a little while). I think at the end of the episode when he's called Scully out to hit some baseballs with him, is his way of showing her that not everything in his life is about the work, and to show her (physically) that he wants to be closer to her.

When I was a shipper back when this episode first aired, I never took into consideration what was going on with Mulder and Scully in this episode. At the beginning they are at work on a Saturday, he's there because he wants to be and she's there reluctantly, and though there's some flirtation between the two of them, there's still that professional wall between them that you can feel. Then Mulder goes off and hears the story of Exley and Dales and the moral to that story, and when we next see Mulder and Scully they are not at work, they are having fun that isn't work related and most importantly, Mulder is pushing their previously set boundaries by being physically closer to Scully in a non-work related way.

As a non-shipper/USTer (whatever the heck I am as a Mulder/Scully classification), I can totally appreciate and adore the progression of the Mulder/Scully relationship in "The Unnatural". To me, this is THE episode where Mulder came to realize that he's ready for that next step (a relationship) with Scully.

I'm not entirely sure when Scully became ready for a relationship with Mulder, she's a lot more closed off than he is through seasons 6 and 7, and it's been awhile since I've watched the seasons episodes, so I'm very rusty about how her feelings for Mulder evolved. I don't think any episode in season 6 she showed any readiness for a relationship, and I can't think of any in season 7 where this could have happened either (which is why their apparent relationship didn't work for me in the first place). After I watch those seasons I'll make sure to come back with something to say about Scully and when I think she was ready for a relationship with him.

When do you think they were ready, as individuals?
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: When were M&S, individually, ready for a relationship?

Post by Cindersmommy on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 13:33

I myself don't think M&S were ever ready, somebody just added the relationship without us knowing. tongue Then expected us to believe that it happened. rolleyes
Cindersmommy
Pod Monster

http://lilangel387.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top