Dead or alive?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In light of the end of "Closure", do you think Samantha is really dead or alive?

Dead

Alive

View results

Dead or alive?

Post by Dana Doggett on Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:19 pm

I know that TPTB tried to convince XF fans that Samantha had died and turned to stardust, but... I am not convinced that that is how Sam's story ended. I'm of the belief that Samantha is still alive out there somewhere, and that Mulder just accepted that stardust B.S. in order to allow himself to let go of her (a little bit).

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dead or alive?

Post by Little Albatross on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Where's the option for "Abducted".

I guess I think she's alive. I never bought into the whole "starlight" storyline connected with Sam's storyline. It's a nice stand alone idea, but not for the Sam arc.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ille qui nos omnes servabit
Feel the Force around you...
4 8 15 16 23 42

Little Albatross
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:56 pm

I totally agree. At first when I saw "Closure" I loved it because it gave Mulder closure, but then... thinking about it years later, it really wasn't a good ending to the (HUGE! MAJOR!) Samantha arc. It would have played better as a MOTW, ITA.

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:55 am

I agree. I feel she is still alive. That would be a good story for XF3 - certainly take the whole show full circle.

You Tube:  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:41 am

Dude! I had totally forgotten about this poll!

Makes me wish that they hadn't done that starlight thing to close up her story. I think if she were alive that would have been so much more interesting (not only for the viewers, but also for Duchovny because that would have given him some good content to work with as a performing artist).

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:41 am

totally.

I really dislike the Closure thing.

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:44 am

It would have been a good MOTW episode, but it shouldn't have been the end of the biggest character arcs of the series. It was a letdown in that regard.

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:51 pm

I like to think she's dead (that sounds wrong...), firstly because I can't imagine her being alive and well after all that time, and secondly because I don't want to. I sincerely HATED the thing with the Samantha clones (or the so-called Samantha clones, there ain't one reason I can recall why you have to believe that the adult clones were actually her), I felt it was terribly handled every time it came up, and it cheapened Samantha's loss for me. Mulder's reaction to having her back always seemed so mild, especially in Colony/Endgame of course, before he knew about the clones. It's like the Mulder family went "Oh, hey, daughter who's been missing for more than twenty years. Want some pizza?" and that was it. The scenes with her felt awkward and insincere, and then the whole trading-her-for-Scully and oops-she's-dead thing...no. And then after that, I don't know why Mulder would even fall for the "look, it's your sister!" thing again. The idea that there are all these clones around ruins the idea of finding the 'real' her, and so ultimately, I'm glad we never had that. I also loved Sein Und Zeit/Closure, but not as a wrap-up on Samantha's story. After it had been this whole big alien abduction/conspiracy thing, to have her just-so-happen to fall victim to a completely unrelated supernatural event was way too random and convenient. It gave closure on her life (and death), but it didn't give closure on her storyline, and as per usual, gave me the feeling that Carter never had a proper plan for how to resolve his storylines.

TheInvisibleMan
The Gun In Doggett's Pocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:03 pm

I always liked the fan theory that Monica Reyes was the long-lost Samantha Mulder (even though if that were the case i would stop 'shipping Mulder/Reyes and remove my M/R fic from my site, ewww! LOL).

I know what you mean about how Mulder and his family reacted to having "found" her early in the series - but I just blame that on the writer(s) and them not being able to write surprise/shock because they knew that this really wasn't Samantha and they couldn't cover that fact in the writing of the characters that did not know this.

As a stand-alone episode, I like the idea presented in "Sein Und Zeit/Closure", I like that Mulder got his closure on this (although by IWTBarf it was obvious that he really didn't get closure on this since it was still his missing sister that drove him).

I feel that with "SUZ/Closure" that perhaps TPTB were not actually closing the Samantha story, I think perhaps they still didn't want it over because it drove Mulder and the majority of the mytharc episodes (ie: why Mulder pursued investigating in the mytharc episodes).

I do like that those two episodes gave closure on her life after her abduction, but I like to think that she's still out there, alive and well, somewhere and has no clue about her real identity.

I lean towards Reyes being Samantha for one main reason (not told us on the series but was available for fans to read about on the old XF official website): Monica Reyes was adopted and does not know who her biological parents/family are. I can't imagine any other reason why TPTB would create this backstory to her character if it weren't going to be tied to the Samantha Mulder story/abduction. Perhaps what we learned of Samantha in "SUZ/Closure" was what the Syndicate wanted Mulder to learn about his sister, but really she had been taken, tested/experimented on and then maybe she lost memory of her family and was adopted out once she wasn't of importance to the Syndicate experiments anymore.

Than again, it's more likely that Carter never knew what to do with her story and he stopped trying to pull more mytharc crap out his ass so they went with "she turned into starlight" which sounds really stupid when you type it or read it aloud.

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:04 am

Interesting. I had never heard about Reyes & Samantha. She has the look of a Duchovny sister, indeed and she has the personality, as far as I can tell. It might have cheapened it a bit or made it rather too silly, but if handled and written well, it might have been very clever.

The Invisible Man puts the nail on the head, with how the SUZ/Closure stories were another random event, after all the time anything to do with Samantha was conspiracy and alien related.

I have always thought that about how Mulder was supposed to know what Samantha looked like as an adult. I don't hate Colony/End Game, but at the same time, I don't like it much either. I felt weird, as a new fan of the show, watching this amazing big moment of Samantha returning. Mulder's reaction was strange, though it could be explained. But then to have her appear as a clone was just messing with the audience, then again in Redux II. Though those scenes were nice, the reasons for that was silly if she was dead.

Every time we analyse something written b Carter, its always a conclusion that its messed up and dumb and mishandled.

I just don't like thinking she is dead. It would be much more interesting if she was alive. Maybe she didn't know Mulder at all, was adopted etc and was happy.

The issues with the whole dead thing, is the way she died doesn't mesh with me and its not really revealed and there is no body or coffin or gravestone.

I agree, I thought Mulder got closure in Closure, but from IWTB, it was brought back in a negative way. I was hoping after Closure Mulder might be more content and a happier person. When I got closure with my father, right before he passed and then after, it made me a stronger and more content person.

It would have been nice, if she was dead, that Mulder had grown a little. It should be within him, without seeing Samantha's pic on his door, to treat people nicely, to remember to help out people and want to help in an FBI agents missing or dead case and generally be a good person. I know the whole Truth court case made his reaction, but that was BS in terms of his personality.

In another way of Mulder growing, I was hoping in IWTB that we might see Mulder at Samantha's grave. I know we didn't get a body but something or a bench or a stone in a park or something to represent her. After her death he should have got counselling for it and I would have liked to have seen that. Anything to make him evolve. Samantha was his big thing, it was swept under the carpet and did not add anything to him.

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:56 am

Speaking of IWTB anyone else remember Vanessa Morley (played young Samantha on the show) appearing in the hallway of the FBI as an agent... and have any of you seen the movie "Flight of the Navigator"?

In that movie a boy gets abducted by aliens as a child and is returned to his family years later without having aged.

Using that you could create a story in which Samantha was abducted as a child and returned back to Earth years later without having aged, and therefore seeing Samantha (Vanessa Morley) as a FBI agent in IWTBarf suggests that Samantha grew up and became a FBI agent herself, and maybe, like Mulder, she is using their resources to discover the truth about herself and her identity.

Thoughts?

I rather like it smile

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Albatross on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Cool theory. I'll buy it, but I love "Flight of the Navigator". Do you think Sam had a little critter like in the movie?? LOL

If we take into consideration that 1013 productions has the general concept of continuity (which I doubt) then yes, the woman in the FBI in IWTB is indeed Samantha Mulder. I like to think she is alive anyway... that whole turned-into-starlight thing was just dumb.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ille qui nos omnes servabit
Feel the Force around you...
4 8 15 16 23 42

Little Albatross
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:08 pm

I don't remember the critter from the movie. I remember the overall story with the boy, Sarah Jessica Parker's hair, and Veronica Cartwright. LOL

And since 1013/CC is into copying ideas that proved to work well in the past, it's also likely that CC saw "FOTN" and could have injected that idea into the XF with Samantha.

I like to go on the FOTN theory of Samantha for having seen her in the FBI in 2008. I wonder how old she could be, that could help determine around what year she was returned to Earth...

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:16 pm

Dana Doggett wrote:Speaking of IWTB anyone else remember Vanessa Morley (played young Samantha on the show) appearing in the hallway of the FBI as an agent... and have any of you seen the movie "Flight of the Navigator"?

In that movie a boy gets abducted by aliens as a child and is returned to his family years later without having aged.

Using that you could create a story in which Samantha was abducted as a child and returned back to Earth years later without having aged, and therefore seeing Samantha (Vanessa Morley) as a FBI agent in IWTBarf suggests that Samantha grew up and became a FBI agent herself, and maybe, like Mulder, she is using their resources to discover the truth about herself and her identity.

Thoughts?

I rather like it smile

OMG I LOVE Flight of The Navigator!!! I remember seeing that film as a kid. I have shown it to my boys and they loved it and I still adore it now. I don't remember the Samantha actor in it though.... blink I remember her in IWTB though.

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Dana Doggett wrote:I don't remember the critter from the movie. I remember the overall story with the boy, Sarah Jessica Parker's hair, and Veronica Cartwright. LOL

So many XF peeps in it...that dude from The Pilot, who plays his dad, Casandra Spender and now Samantha Mulder. I love Veronica Cartwright.

SJP is really cute in it.

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:54 pm

gorgclaud wrote:OMG I LOVE Flight of The Navigator!!! I remember seeing that film as a kid. I have shown it to my boys and they loved it and I still adore it now. I don't remember the Samantha actor in it though.... blink I remember her in IWTB though.

I think maybe my words didn't make sense LOL The actress who plays Samantha Mulder was not in FOTN, I was just linking her appearance in IWTBarf with the story of FOTN LOL How the story of FOTN could be Samantha Mulder's story smile

gorgclaud wrote:So many XF peeps in it...that dude from The Pilot, who plays his dad, Casandra Spender and now Samantha Mulder. I love Veronica Cartwright.

SJP is really cute in it.

Which dude from the "Pilot" episode is in it? I haven't watched FOTN in years.

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Dana Doggett wrote:
gorgclaud wrote:OMG I LOVE Flight of The Navigator!!! I remember seeing that film as a kid. I have shown it to my boys and they loved it and I still adore it now. I don't remember the Samantha actor in it though.... blink I remember her in IWTB though.

I think maybe my words didn't make sense LOL The actress who plays Samantha Mulder was not in FOTN, I was just linking her appearance in IWTBarf with the story of FOTN LOL How the story of FOTN could be Samantha Mulder's story smile

Now, this is just a tell tell sign of my bad day in the heat....you were perfectly clear but I did not read your post properly!!!

Interesting idea. It was have been much more fun and intriguing that way...if she had loads of alien info in her head...maps and planets.

Which dude from the "Pilot" episode is in it? I haven't watched FOTN in years.

Its the dad of the kid who gets abducted...he is is the Dad in the Pilot of Teresa Nemen. He meets Mulder and says he didn't do the autopsy because he was on vacation...gets stressed with how Mulder is asking him probing Qs and walks away and then Mulder cutely says "Maybe he needed a longer vacation." The actor is called Cliff De Young. I always like him.

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top