DSR - Body Language Analysis

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DSR - Body Language Analysis

Post by Dana Doggett on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:13 pm

I used this site for the information about romantic body language:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(post originally posted at X-Files Universe on November 2, 2010 - I was asked to provide proof of Scully's romantic interest in Doggett)

What I found surprising about the UST between Doggett and Scully is that it did come from both characters. Doggett it was more obvious, but it was there for Scully too. I have gone through a few of my favorite season 8 DSR moments/scenes screen captures and pulled out a few pictures that I think help demonstrate that Scully did in fact find Doggett attractive in that more-than-professional kind of way. I do think that she had an intellectual attraction for Doggett, she related to him very easily and understood him and where he was coming from in his professional approach to the X-files assignment. However as early as "Patience" (third episode that aired in season 8) she was showing signs of giving off body language that indicated that she was physically attracted to him as well. I'll use info from this page (http://changingminds.org/techniques/body/romantic_body.htm) to help explain the body language that Scully is giving off (will be in italic).

"Patience"
Copying: Imitating the person in some way shows 'I am like you'. This can range from a similar body position to using the same gestures and language.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Also take notice in how close Scully is standing next to Doggett in the first picture.

Close in and personal: In moving closer to the other person, you move from social space into their personal body space, showing how you would like to get even closer to them, perhaps holding them and more...

More examples of closeness:

I like using this next picture of Scully facing Doggett as he is changing clothes because when she was in the same room as Mulder in season 4 (Tempus Fugit/Max) when he's changing clothing, she turns her back to him as to not invade his personal space. With Doggett, she faces him and neither he nor she is bothered by this fact. I think this suggests a physical attraction/interest of Doggett on her behalf.

"Medusa"

Also take note that Scully entered Doggett's hospital room at the end of "Medusa" and took a moment to check him out. Later, after he accidentally turns his open-back hospital gown to her, she has a Freudian slip and mentions the word "butts", perhaps subconsciously thinking back to seeing Doggett's backside.

"Patience"
Touching: Touching signals even closer intimacy. It may start with 'accidental' brushing, followed by touching of 'safe' parts of the body such as arms or back. Caressing is gentle stroking that may start in the safer regions and then stray (especially when alone) to sexual regions.

Take notice of WHERE Scully has allowed her hands to rest on Doggett, lower on his abdominal area, not exactly a "safe" part of his body, this suggests something more intimate. Her hand that rests on his shoulder is on a "safe" part of his body, I think this suggests an inner struggle inside her over her physical desire for him, and possibly could suggest that at this point she may not even be aware that she's attracted to him, and that by the third episode of season 8 it's all subconscious on her part.

"Badlaa"
Leaning: Leaning your body towards another person says 'I would like to be closer to you'. It also tests to see whether they lean towards you or away from you. It can start with the head with a simple tilt or may use the entire torso. This may be coupled with listening intently to what they say, again showing particular interest in them.

In this scene, Scully is the one that turned to Doggett and leaned in toward him. He met her lean with his own, this suggests that both characters are interested in each other and want to be closer to the other than they had already been.

More leaning examples:

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: DSR - Body Language Analysis

Post by Dana Doggett on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Two of my favorite DSR episodes in season 9 are "Audrey Pauley" and "Underneath".

"Audrey Pauley"
Touching: Touching signals even closer intimacy. It may start with 'accidental' brushing, followed by touching of 'safe' parts of the body such as arms or back. Caressing is gentle stroking that may start in the safer regions and then stray (especially when alone) to sexual regions.

I don't have an animated graphic of this scene in "Audrey Pauley", but if you have the DVDs you can go put it in and see that when she sits down next to Doggett upon arriving at the hospital, she reaches back and rubs his lower back.

Close in and personal: In moving closer to the other person, you move from social space into their personal body space, showing how you would like to get even closer to them, perhaps holding them and more...

Leaning: Leaning your body towards another person says 'I would like to be closer to you'. It also tests to see whether they lean towards you or away from you. It can start with the head with a simple tilt or may use the entire torso. This may be coupled with listening intently to what they say, again showing particular interest in them.

In this particular moment, it almost looks like Scully is leaning on Doggett's shoulder.

I'm a big fan of the lip gazing that Scully does with Doggett. There are screen caps that I have that show Scully gazing at Doggett's lips in both season 8 and season 9 (that I have to find - and I've made 4000+ captures per season 8 and 9 episode, so they're harder for me to hunt down quickly - I'll make sure to do a lip gazing post soon).

Lovers' gaze: When you are standing close to them, you will holding each other's gaze for longer and longer periods before looking away. You many also use what are called 'doe eyes' or 'bedroom eyes', which are often slightly moist and with the head inclined slightly down.

Where the eyes go is important. Looking at lips means 'I want to kiss'. Looking at other parts of the body may mean 'I want to touch'.

This is one lip gazing moment from "Audrey Pauley":

And this one is from my favorite UST scene between them in season 9's "Underneath":

In that scene from "Underneath", when you watch it next, pay close attention to the different types of body language that indicate romantic interest on both character's parts: closeness, lip gazing, eye contact, soft vocal tone, etc., etc. It's quite possibly the most UST charged moment between the two of them of both seasons ♥

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:28 pm

I forgot one... from "Nothing Important Happened Today 1". Doggett waits outside Scully's bedroom as she puts the baby down, she emerges from her room redressing herself/buttoning up her blouse.

Displaying: Attractive parts of the body may be exposed, thrust forward, wiggled or otherwise highlighted. For women this includes breasts, neck, bottom and legs. For men it includes a muscular torso, arms or legs, and particularly the crotch (note that women seldom do this).

She also wears her blouse with neglect to the buttons in other scenes in "Underneath"... in the second picture you can clearly see the boundary of her bra, eventually in this scene she turns to face Doggett head on... giving him an opportunity to check her out.

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Another... from "Sunshine Days", this is after Doggett falls from the ceiling, Scully comes in and makes a bee line for Doggett, showing concern for him, and taking the opportunity to touch and caress him.

And take a look at the expression on Doggett's face! Her touching him has so made his day ♥ Take notice also that Scully allows her touch to linger on Doggett's shoulder here.

I couldn't (immediately) find any information on what a lingering touch could mean, but I suspect that it means a bit more than just touching as italicized above.

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:51 pm

One more, I swear (I could probably do this all day, but I have a chemistry and history test to study for). This is from the end of "Medusa", and shows Scully licking her lips at Doggett. I think we all know what this indicates.

Licking: Lip-licking may indicate desire, perhaps for another person and perhaps for food. Usually it is for what is in front of the licker.

In the case of Scully in this scene, Doggett is in front of her, and if you look at other captures of her from this moment, she seems quite smiley/happy ♥

Scully capture from the next second after the lip lick, notice that her face looks youthful, and happy. Her eyes also seem to be gazing at Doggett in a place that is not his eyes...

I've often heard that being in love makes you appear younger :) I didn't try to find any website with information on this, but I believe it to be true.

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:58 pm

wow this is an awesome thread to look at.

And i dont think we are reaching here, their body language speaks volumes!

i think being in love does make you look and act younger...i can vouch for that!

the Medusa scene and the whole ep is a massive MASSIVE dsr ep!!! so much is going on.

I adore how he is undressing infront of her and they dont know eachother very well. He is very aware of the fact his butt is exposed and makes a funny moment out of it, rather than awkward or implies her to leave.

Seriously think about it. He wants her to see his butt, or even just KNOW he has one and a good one. Then so by him walking backwards not only is he highlighting his butt without her seeing it but he is being funny and silly about it, which suggests to me, he wants her to see his butt secretly.

He is also implying that she wants to see his butt and he is the ONLY one making moves to hide it from her. She is still standing there looking at him. She only moves her eyes and lets face it ladies, those eyes can easily wonder back to his butt quite quickly. Not so easy if she moved her whole head or turned around, she just averts her eyes, which is not a big move in the grand scheme of things here!!

Then to add to the fact that he is naked, he changes clothes infront of her and walks out without really completing the dressing! He aint shy, she doesnt leave the room and talk to him about the case once he is dressed. Whats the rush to see him Scully? Worried about him are we??!!! biggrin

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:04 pm

And in comparison to the same type of scene between Mulder and Scully in season 4's "Tempus Fugit/Max"... when Mulder starts to undress/redress, Scully turns her back to him, no interest in watching him do that at all.

Now I wonder... do you think that Doggett purposely let her see his butt? At first glance it seems that his reveal to her was indeed accidental, but is it?

And yes... eyes can quickly revert back to where they were after you move your eyes to avoid being caught checking someone out. And the fact that Scully did not turn around or offer to leave and come back after he had changed also speaks volumes about her physical interest/attraction to him too.

I bet she wanted to be the one to give him a sponge bath! LOL Actually, she probably wanted to be the one to drive him home, and draw his bath since he had mentioned wanting to take one while he was down in the metro.

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:08 pm

dont! this is all too hot to handle!!

Yes indeed, when i heard her say "sponge bath" I thought of him naked and getting sponged down, wet and weak....she surely was thinking of the same image. You cannot talk to a man about a sponge bath and not imagine him having the bath....now thats a scene we missed out on!

I always get reminded of the Max scene of Mulder undressing when i see this scene. Cause she really seems to have no interest in seeing him and doesnt make any issue of it in a light hearted way, but that might be cause she is real upset about Pendrell....

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Doggett in a sponge bath... Doggett in a sponge bath... Doggett in a sponge bath... WAIT A MINUTE! Scully's drawing a bath for the both of them! Holy moly!

In "Max", it really shows that when it comes to Scully's partnership with Mulder (after about four to five years of being partners at the FBI) that she has no physical attraction to Mulder, and that their relationship is all business. Sure they are friends, but not friends who are interested in jumping into bed together. It could be she's upset about Pendrell, but I think it's more that with Mulder she wants to keep things strictly professional between the two of them.

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:27 am

i think you are right that she wants to keep it all professional with Mulder. Even after he gives her a present in the same ep(two parter). It was a good present but it wasnt particularily romantic.

Now, i think was really curious about Doggett. She liked his heroic nature in this ep. His determination to solve it and save lives. She liked the fact he didnt ask her to go into the subway with her. All this and then him nearly getting ran over by the train made her have feelings for him. So showing she cared for him at the end of Medusa to personally tell him he was free to go and he is fine....but also, common she musta known he wouldnt have been dressed and so i think she was curious.

Sponge bath. drool

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 pm

That's a good point. She knew that he wouldn't be fully dressed since she and the nurse must have heard his buzzing for the nurse while she was talking to her/him. I mean, the moment she walks into his room, even before he turns his back to her, she checks him out.

I do think that Doggett's heroic nature and selflessness in handling the subway situation, definitely appeals to Scully. This type of man, I think, attracts her.

Sponge bath!

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:21 pm

so i always ALWAYS wonder....the line he says before she says "Lets go home"...what was he gonna say? throwing compliments back and forth. He is tucking in his shirt into his trousers...he makes her laugh with all the compliments and he says "Agent Scully..." she looks up, afraid of what he is about to say and she just says "lets go home".

WHAT WAS HE GOING TO SAY?? wallbash

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Hmmm... perhaps he was going to suggest that they go out for coffee before heading home. The conversation was getting light-hearted and very friendly (almost flirty) so maybe that gave him the confidence in their relationship (to that point) to make the first move to ask her out, even if was for something as simple as grabbing a cup of coffee together.

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Dana Doggett wrote:Hmmm... perhaps he was going to suggest that they go out for coffee before heading home. The conversation was getting light-hearted and very friendly (almost flirty) so maybe that gave him the confidence in their relationship (to that point) to make the first move to ask her out, even if was for something as simple as grabbing a cup of coffee together.

Ok, for 10 years now, I have never been able to think of that idea! I like it! Totally got a bit hot when i read that idea of him asking her out to coffee...Now i am thinking of some editing ideas for a vid... biggrin

Yeah, so i think that would make so much sense. THats all he could possibly be leading to...GOD DAMN IT!! angry2

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:48 pm

I know we have thought about thinking about what he was going to say. And to be honest I thought about it for a bit, but never came up with anything. Then today... WHAM! This idea comes to my mind. I can't believe it took 10 years for anyone to come up with what he was about to say to her LOL

I'm glad I could inspire editing ideas :)

Of course *g* he could have been about to ask Scully if she'd like to give him a sponge bath! crackup

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:08 pm

Dana Doggett wrote:

Of course *g* he could have been about to ask Scully if she'd like to give him a sponge bath! crackup

monkey dance OH YEH BABY!

you see, they could of actually have added that line in! To break the tension! To tease the viewers. Make her smile again...but then that might have been a bit crude of Doggett - damn him for being so respectful !!

Man, i do imagine the following scenes of them leaving together and having a coffee out....or a sponge bath. Hubba hubba...**eyes gaze to current avatar** wub

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:36 pm

It's like how in "Roadrunners" originally Doggett said "gone in sixty seconds, baby", but they changed it to "gone in sixty seconds, jack", I think Vince liked the idea of a little flirty Doggett/Scully action :)

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:47 am

yeah yeah yeah - totally know what you are saying....VG was totally trying to sex the two of them up....see how confident and jokey Doggett is as he says that line as he tries to hotwire the bus...its like a really bad situation and he's being cocky! LOVE THAT. biggrin

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:16 am

Another sample of how John and Dana mimick each other's body language, from "Salvage"...

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Albatross on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:39 pm

Forgive me... I have not read through this entire thread so I don't know if this has been started or not, but I just noticed that in the first 5 pictures of the first post and the last 2 pictures of the first post that Doggett and Scully are almost standing in the same way. It's kind of funny. Both their hands are on their hips. Their heads are both looking down, they are both standing in the same way (mirrored at times).

Ille qui nos omnes servabit
Feel the Force around you...
4 8 15 16 23 42

Little Albatross
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Dana Doggett on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:44 pm

OMG Kristi is in a XF thread! cheer2 LOL

You should totally read through this thread, there's some good information about the attraction between John and Dana (according to their body language).

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post by Cindersmommy on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Yeah that's pretty cool. biggrin

Cindersmommy
Pod Monster

http://lilangel387.tripod.com

Back to top Go down