Frank Spotnitz's Psychoanalysis of Doggett (and his feelings for Scully)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Frank Spotnitz's Psychoanalysis of Doggett (and his feelings for Scully)

Post by Cassiopeia on Fri 29 Oct 2010, 17:05

Ooh! I am scanning the 2002 TXF Yearbook magazine and came across this from an interview with Frank Spotnitz :)

QUESTION: For a while there we'd had the romantic scenario in which Follmer wanted Reyes who wanted Doggett who wanted Scully. Then the Doggett-wanting-Scully part of the equation seemed to disappear. What happened there?

FRANK SPOTNITZ: I have my own psychoanalysis of Doggett's character and to me the pining for Scully is still there. I believe that John Doggett is incapable of giving himself happiness. I think he punishes himself for the death of his son, blames himself and buries himself in his work and can never do enough to redeem himself in his own mind for his son's death and not finding the killer. To me, it makes perfect psychological sense that he would go after the woman he could never have and that he would be attracted to something that's impossible - that that's what he would allow himself to do with Scully. The woman he should be with and the woman who does understand him and supports him is Monica Reyes. The very fact that she is available to him - and he knows she has feelings for him - is what would keep him from ever responding.

So Frank confirms what I believed all along that the feelings that Doggett has for Scully was there. He went on to comment a bit about Doggett/Reyes, and basically said that Doggett would never respond to her (Reyes's) attraction to him - this goes into discussion Doggett's view of Reyes's flirtations with him, but since it goes hand-in-hand with his love for Scully, I think it's ok to post here. I just love when I read confirmation from TPTB about Doggett's feelings for Scully, and then to have him say that Doggett wouldn't respond to Reyes... just the icing on top of the cake :)

I do like Frank's psychoanalysis of the Doggett character because I agree with it 100%. I also think another part of Doggett's tendency to want what he cannot have is due to the fact that perhaps he doesn't want to be hurt again, as he was when his son was kidnapped/molested/murdered, and then when his marriage to Barbara ended soon after. I think his heart is fragile and he plays it safe. He cares very deeply for Scully, he loves her, but he desires to be with her because he knows that she is Mulder's and that he can never have her, therefore saving him any heartbreak that could have come from actually being involved with her. I think what we see with Doggett and his feelings for Scully in seasons 8 and 9 is a man who has allowed himself to fall hard for Scully, and though he wants what he cannot have, he struggles with that because in Scully he found someone that matches him perfectly, and someone who could make him happy, and who is compatible with him. I wish that we had had the chance to see more of that play out on the series. I just like the complexity that Doggett's feelings for Scully brought to the series, it made it very interesting to watch.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Frank Spotnitz's Psychoanalysis of Doggett (and his feelings for Scully)

Post by gorgclaud on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 15:11

Dana Doggett wrote:Ooh! I am scanning the 2002 TXF Yearbook magazine and came across this from an interview with Frank Spotnitz :)

QUESTION: For a while there we'd had the romantic scenario in which Follmer wanted Reyes who wanted Doggett who wanted Scully. Then the Doggett-wanting-Scully part of the equation seemed to disappear. What happened there?

FRANK SPOTNITZ: I have my own psychoanalysis of Doggett's character and to me the pining for Scully is still there. I believe that John Doggett is incapable of giving himself happiness. I think he punishes himself for the death of his son, blames himself and buries himself in his work and can never do enough to redeem himself in his own mind for his son's death and not finding the killer. To me, it makes perfect psychological sense that he would go after the woman he could never have and that he would be attracted to something that's impossible - that that's what he would allow himself to do with Scully. The woman he should be with and the woman who does understand him and supports him is Monica Reyes. The very fact that she is available to him - and he knows she has feelings for him - is what would keep him from ever responding.

Yeah yar...always remember reading this...more proof that the pudding was getting mixed together and put in the oven but no one got it out of the oven....im in a weird mood tonight...you know what i mean!
gorgclaud
Narc!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 16:31

LOL Dude! Thanks for bringing this thread back up to the top. I love this part of his article.

I love that this suggests that Doggett will never be with Reyes. Hahaha crackup
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 16:37

Hell yeah.. I love it when the writer of the show just says outloud that Doggett was in love with Scully and it would make sense for his character.

Did they then have some sort of memory loss when writing season 9 - dont answer that.
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 16:40

I don't think they had memory loss, I think after it was announced that s9 was the last season that they wanted to try to make all characters happy with UST (or in the case of M&S a relationship). It was a stupid thing to do to close out s9 because it broke away from previous characterizations, but they did it. Happily, the majority of episodes continued to lean to Doggett/Scully all the way up to "The Truth" - and Robert and Gillian continued to play the UST between the two characters well through the end too. So... it really didn't go away at all, Reyes was just injected to be an annoyance.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 22:29

[quote="gorgclaud"]
Dana Doggett wrote:Ooh! I am scanning the 2002 TXF Yearbook magazine and came across this from an interview with Frank Spotnitz :)

Yup, this confirms what I always saw in the character of Doggett. It makes him a very tragic figure, really. He simply cannot/ will not allow himself to be happy out of some kind of penance to his dead son.
Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 08:57

And for some unknown reason (perhaps a psychology person could explain this) this is one of the main reasons why John Doggett appeals to me as a character, and why the idea of Doggett/Scully appeals to me too. He loves her, but he won't go after what he wants because of what happened previously in his life.

Perhaps I like to cheer/root for the underdog, and in the case of John Doggett and the Doggett/Scully relationship - both viewed as unpleasant by most of the XF fandom - they are the ultimate underdogs of the series, nevermind the fact that they are just so perfectly matched and unavailable to each other. I don't know why I find that so appealing to watch/want to see happen. I would love to see John and Dana find happiness with each other and overcome all the obstacles they surround themselves in their lives to find happiness in each other.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 14:06

Totally agree.

1) I think its more sexy that its harder for them to get together. More things against them makes it more romantic if they were to win. Also its the whole forbidden thing. Makes you want it more.

2) I think they need each other and would suit eachother

3) The real Brit in me, always loves the underdog! ("UnderDogg Productions" was gonna be my other vidding production name. Its about supporting the one that is unpopular or isnt highly regarded to get good that he deserves and also, physically under the Doggett biggrin)

Yes so the more wrong it is the more sexy it is, but its also SO RIGHT. Does that make sense??
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 20:32

YEs. That absolutely makes sense. smile
Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 05:11

iloveyou
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 21:01

Honestly, that whole under-dog thing really strikes a chord with me. Even though I was initially VERY skeptical of TXF trying to move beyond Duchovny, the moment I saw RP onscreen as Doggett, I felt strangely protective of him. I really wanted both the character AND the actor to succeed.

I also have a real problem with bullies, having had to deal with that as a kid. I felt like too many XF/ Duchovny/ MSR fans were bashing the shit out of Robert (AND Doggett) before ever giving the actor or the character a chance. That really pissed me off, and may have had a hand in pushing me towards Doggett. (I guess that's one thing I can be grateful to the asshole 'shippers for!!)
Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 03:40

Yes, I was bullied at school and probably if I hung out with enough women it would continue and so the whole underdog thing made me protective of Doggett too. That and he was awesome and I was like "whats not to like?!"
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 04:46

"I believe that John Doggett is incapable of giving himself happiness."

- Well gee Frank, just cut my heart out with a spoon and be done with it. cry hissyfit doggett hug

I do agree with all that's been said though. Doggett is exactly the type of person who blames and punishes himself when things go wrong in the lives of those he cares about, as though it is his failing that he wasn't somehow able to predict and prevent bad things from happening. He's a very damaged person, and I'm a real sucker for damaged men. It activates my own inner Doggett and makes me want to take care of him. rolleyes I'm also a sucker for emotional complexity, subtle characterisation, and phenomenal acting, and Doggett serves up all of those things, it almost makes me feel like he was crafted just for me. biggrin Add to that those damn gorgeous eyes and those cheekbones (whaddaya know, MORE things that I'm a sucker for!) and Hell, just the plain old fact that this is Robert Patrick we're talking about, and the moral at the end of the story is that this man is Heaven to me! cloud9
And that's before we even start talking about what a kind and respectful person he is, and what a great agent he is, and how he breathed new life into an ailing show... I'm getting off topic. Back to Frank Spotnitz speaking heartbreaking truths about John Doggett's emotional trauma. (WWWHHHHYYY Frank?!?!)
TheInvisibleMan
The Gun In Doggett's Pocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 16:55

I think the fact that Doggett is incapable of giving himself happiness is one of the great character flaws that I love about John Doggett. He gives so much to others, but expects nothing for himself. I'm a sucker for damaged characters like this (why I'm an addict to Bauer and Almeida of "24" too, omgosh!).
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 16:58

Oh I love how you trailed off topic there! LOL! biggrin I was on cloud 9 reading all that!

Cheekbones and ears!!! awwww yeah....you said it ! That and the eyes are my fave man things...oh and good arms...

I agree about the attraction to a damaged man, oh yes, nothing like a good old anti-hero, soft on the inside man like Doggett.
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 17:02

Let's not forget the man's shoulders, his back... his arms... his forearms... his wrist, his metacarpals, his knuckles... his fingers... his fingertips...
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 17:28

Stop it.....stop it I tell you!
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:37

Damn it Cassie, I'm at uni and I'm not supposed to be grinning like this! Oh God, how dare you mention his shoulders and back, I just can't be thinking about those things in a public place...let alone those big, strong, comforting man-hands...ssshhh, and you mentioned forearms and that makes me think of rolled-up shirtsleeves, and GOD that's another thing I'm a sucker for...this is indecent. drool
TheInvisibleMan

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 03:47

Rolled up sleeve arms are THE BEST! Im thinking of a scene in Invocation right now, when I originally watched it, I stopped listening to the dialogue and my jaw dropped at the sight of his arms with a shirt and rolled up sleeves......... drool
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 03:57

Someone on Tumblr has been collaging memorable little X Files things (FBI badges, Morley's Cigarettes, etc) and they made one of rolled-up sleeves...using only Mulder pictures! I was indignant! How could they ignore the glory which is John Doggett's exposed forearms?!?!
Gotta say, I'm also really enjoying his nose right now. It's so fine and neat and it has that scar across it...
TheInvisibleMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:10

IIRC Robert got that scar across his nose while doing his own stunt work for the movie "Future Hunters" - not a good movie, but I enjoy it so much because of Robert smile
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Sat 21 Jul 2012, 00:09

Oh, I didn't know that! You are full of wonderful facts Cassie. biggrin
TheInvisibleMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top