100 Reasons Why I Do Not Want The X-Files to Return

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Thu 19 Oct 2017, 17:02

I don't agree with everything said in this, but damn this is good!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

On the whole, season 10 was poor by any standards, but especially by today’s “Golden Age of Television” standards.
Instead of being shown any sort of action or drama or anything at all that would have been interesting to watch, we were lectured and told things were happening by voiceovers, flashbacks, and characters absolutely no one cared about.
Half of season 10’s episodes were unwatchable.
One of two good episodes was a parody originally written for another series, and completely out of place tonally with the other five episodes.
The other good episode was duct taped together from Mortal Kombat, Grey’s Anatomy, and flashbacks to when the series was actually worth watching.
Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of The X-Files could have written a better finale because they would have at least known this is a show about (a) Mulder and Scully together and (b) aliens, neither of which the finale had.
“Alien DNA” was said 46 times in one episode. For sure.
The show’s writers consider giving feedback to each other “giv[ing] each other grief.”
Season 10 was basically the world’s longest Ford commercial.
The X-Files revival was the “worst case scenario” of television revivals.
There was no resolution to either the original series’ storylines nor to the newly introduced storylines.
There was no resolution to anything at all.
William was discussed to a mind-numbing degree yet that storyline still remains incomplete.
There was only a throwaway mention of 2012, despite this being the date to which the entire mytharc of the original series had been building.
The Super Soldiers that consumed the original mytharc in its death throes were not even mentioned.
The revival ended on a cliffhanger, after 40 minutes of wasting time, with no guarantee the show would return.
Every time The X-Files returns, it destroys what happened before. What is left?
Despite having just six episodes to work with, the writers were so disorganized they reshuffled the episodes at the last minute.
The very same writers who, in 1994, managed to expertly intersperse monster-of-the-week episodes within a serialized narrative/arc could not manage to do so in 2016.
The fact that, in 2016, it was possible to reshuffle the episodes because they were so disconnected.
The show forgot both protagonists have been abducted.
The show forgot CSM is Mulder’s father and therefore a viable stem cell donor.
The show forgot we have already seen a tulpa made of garbage… and its intention was to hurt people.
The returning characters were barely, if at all, recognizable.
Show-altering plot devices were sprung upon the viewer without explanation, and crucial characters were abruptly introduced, and then never referred to again.
No one remembered the new old informant or asked about Sveta despite there being only six weeks from the first to the last episode of season 10.
We were expected to believe all of season 10 happened in six weeks.
We were expected to believe, without explanation, Scully and Mulder were estranged.
We were expected to believe Dana “Mrs. Spooky since the third episode” Scully, who worried more about Mulder’s state of mind than her own impending death, would leave him because he was online too much.
We were expected to believe Fox “TrustNo1″ Mulder, who willingly traded his sister for Scully and chose death over denying what he had seen, would (a) let his one in five billion go without a fight and (b) blindly believe everything he saw in the original series was a lie because some guy on the Internet said so. (He changed it to “trust everyone.” He didn’t tell you?)
We were expected to believe Walter Skinner, Assistant Director for 23+ years, had enough screen time to merit his name in the credits.
We were expected to believe Monica Reyes, who defended Mulder, Scully, and their journey against a tribunal of conspirators and aliens, would go work for CSM.
We were expected to believe CSM, who received a missile to the face and had his skull burned to ashes, was alive and well.
CSM returned from the dead after receiving said missile to the face just to act out the exact same scene with Mulder we saw in 1994… and 1998… and 2002…
We were expected to believe Mulder would keep a phone tracking app on his unlocked laptop in a shared and easily accessible office.
We were expected to believe former fugitives and 50+-year-old Scully and Mulder (the latter of who is “endogenously depressed”) would be allowed to return to the FBI.
Endogenous depression, by the way, is (a) an outdated term and (b) managed with medication, which any medical doctor would know.
The science advisor seemed more preoccupied with Mulder’s dance partner than with making sure the science was (a) coherent, (b) comprehensible, and ©️ compelling.
Dana Scully, who, it may have been mentioned once or twice, is a medical doctor, blatantly supported anti-vaxxers.
Scully still has not discovered PubMed.
Scully thinks splattering blood all over oneself is a perfectly normal way to perform surgery.
Scully thinks “nurse” is an appropriate way to address a colleague.
It is 2016 and Muslim men were only depicted as terrorists.
It is 2016 and a sizable portion of an episode was devoted to “boobs & butts.”
Babylon is actually an episode that was allowed to air in 2016.
It is 2016 and Scully still doesn’t have a desk or her name on the door.
It is 2016 and Scully is answering the office phone “Agent Mulder’s phone,” which she did not do even in 1993.
It is 2016 and Scully still refers to “lifestyle preferences.”
It is 2016 and Gillian Anderson was offered half of David Duchovny’s salary.
Someone actually thought that was an acceptable wig to put on Gillian Anderson’s head.
Gillian Anderson has outgrown Scully.
Television has “matured and evolved” beyond The X-Files.
The revival had nothing new to contribute and nothing new to say.
The same writers who wrote E.B.E. in 1994 and Trust No 1 in 2002 could not manage to contribute anything to today’s conversation despite having foretold today’s climate.
Chris Carter seems to think the saying is “tell, don’t show.”
Chris Carter is a liar.
Chris Carter thinks it’s petulant to want to see the protagonists of a TV show be onscreen together.
Chris Carter retconned and/or ignored the vast majority of the original series for no other reason than he couldn’t figure out how to clean up the massive mess he made.
Chris Carter is still trying to convince fans, in 2016, that Mulder and Scully’s relationship was “platonic,” despite the fact that they have a child together.
Chris Carter thinks, despite the above, that it’s still amusing and novel, in 2016, to have characters comment on how Scully appears to be in love with Mulder, and how she is Mulder’s “beloved.” Who’d have thought?
Chris Carter hasn’t written and directed a decent episode since 1998.
Chris Carter’s new episodes have tainted the legacy of his old ones.
Chris Carter has apparently discovered niacin.
Chris Carter considers himself too creative for paltry things like show bibles.
Chris Carter actually thought everything he did was a good idea.
Chris Carter blames everyone but himself for his failures.
Chris Carter is incapable of taking feedback.
Chris Carter seems to be more concerned with his next paycheck than with doing justice to the story.
My blood pressure skyrocketed every time Chris Carter gave an interview and I am too young for antihypertensive medication.
Chris Carter is not leaving the show, so I must leave the show instead.
Mulder and Scully were onscreen together in the finale for less than 30 seconds.
Miller and Einstein exist and, moreover, were given more screen time than Mulder and Scully in the final two episodes.
There is actually a character named Einstein on the show now and we are expected to take her seriously.
Mulder and Scully “broke up.”
Mulder and Scully, for whom the term “shipping” was literally invented, “broke up.”
Mulder and Scully “broke up” solely for the sake of bringing back “tension,” which was nonetheless absent from season 10.
The entire marketing campaign leading up to the revival centered on telling fans repeatedly Mulder and Scully “broke up.”
The entire marketing campaign leading up to the revival centered on telling fans repeatedly Mulder and Scully “broke up” and that fans should shut up and like it.
Despite all this marketing, Mulder and Scully did not seem to be broken up in the episodes themselves, which must be why Chris Carter felt the need to constantly remind fans.
We are not allowed to see Mulder and Scully so much as kiss on the cheek, but we are forced to watch an overlong (male fantasy) sex scene between Scully and a were-lizard.
We are not allowed to see Mulder and Scully so much as kiss on the cheek, but we are forced to watch an overlong (male fantasy) bondage scene between Mulder and Einstein.
I could not even enjoy a shipper-pandering scene of Mulder and Scully holding hands while walking in the sunshine outside their house because the dialogue was so terrible and nonsensical.
It is 2016 and we are still being subjected to Diana Fowley Tad O’Malley.
“For better or for worse” has a very specific connotation on television but this was never alluded to again.
The actors were given such poor direction that David Duchovny still doesn’t know if Mulder and Scully are married.
I would much rather have wifegate as my headcanon than another “he’s not my husband” onscreen.
After suffering through I Want to Believe, we were forced to suffer through even more senseless arguments, even less shared screen time, even more useless new agents, even more shoehorned jealousy, and yet another inexplicable breakup scenario, except this time without any sort of conclusion.
There wasn’t even an equivalent of the “scratchy beard” scene in all of season 10.
Many plot and character decisions throughout season 10 seemed to have been made solely to spite the very fans who brought the show back.
Every actor on the show told the fans at one point (at least) that what we want is not what we want, as if we are incapable of knowing our own thoughts and desires.
Certain “fan representatives,” including podcasters and prominent fansite editors-in-chief, repeatedly insulted and/or were condescending to other fans.
The fandom spent the last half of 2015 checking social media obsessively like it was watching a disaster unfold. (Turns out we were.)
The fandom was so depressed last summer Scully would have abandoned us all, as is apparently her wont now.
The revival squandered the fandom’s last remaining goodwill.
I already saw the perfect X-Files ending.
I already read the perfect X-Files ending.
The revival was so terrible it tarnished my love of the original series.
There is no reason to believe a season 11 would be any better. On the contrary, history suggests it would be even worse.
I was able to think of 100 reasons why The X-Files, the show I spent 13 years hoping would return, should not return.
I give up.

Last edited by Cassiopeia on Thu 19 Oct 2017, 21:18; edited 1 time in total
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 100 Reasons Why I Do Not Want The X-Files to Return

Post by Cassiopeia on Thu 19 Oct 2017, 17:23

Reading this makes me wish TXF had just been left alone after season 9. It really is a shitty attempt at a copy of its former self, isn't it?

I know this post had a lot of bitching about M&S being broken up, and not together, and no sex, but most everything else is spot on.

I absolutely HATE that carter ignored everything he had created in the original series in order to rewrite/recreate the XF mythology. If he was going to flush it all down the effing toilet, why in the world did we even watch the first nine seasons and the first movie?

#17 is so correct it's painful: "Every time The X-Files returns, it destroys what happened before. What is left?"

I know that I said I'd be behind a season 12 if Gillian/Scully is completely left out of it, but... you know... it really is time (way past due) for TXF to come to an end. It was just starting to lose form in season 9, it killed itself with IWTB, and it smashed all the nails in the coffin with "season" 10. I'm not sure how much worse TXF can get... maybe s10 was injecting TXF with embalming fluid, and season 11 will be smashing the nails into the coffin? And if we get s12, that will be burying TXF under six feet of dirt?

Wait... season 10 all happened within six weeks?! *dramatic pause* Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

re: M&S estranged, I actually can believe that. Mulder is unhealthy for Scully, and it was smart of her to leave him. This s10 development actually took place in the 2nd movie, when Scully broke up with Mulder during the film, there was no actual verification that they got back together.

LOL @ #36 "We were expected to believe former fugitives and 50+-year-old Scully and Mulder (the latter of who is “endogenously depressed”) would be allowed to return to the FBI." Yeah, I don't buy that either! There's no way they'd be allowed back as FBI agents, especially without going through training again and getting recertified! That's as believable as it was when at the end of s8 Doggett was allowed to transfer reyes from the New Orleans field office to the D.C. office! That's not how those things work. Stupid TXF.

Yes! YES! YES!!! YAAAAAASSSSSSS! @ #51 "Gillian Anderson has outgrown Scully." I'm so sick of watching Gillian act at this point, every character she's done recently has been a copy of another character she's played recently. She cannot do Scully anymore, she didn't even try.

Chris Carter actually thought everything he did was a good idea.
Chris Carter blames everyone but himself for his failures.
Chris Carter is incapable of taking feedback.

I've been holding this one in for awhile now, but this prompts me to actually put it into writing... with regard to the above... CC reminds me a lot of donald trump.

#68 "Chris Carter seems to be more concerned with his next paycheck than with doing justice to the story." --- That's the number one reason why "season" 10 got a cliffhanger, IMO. Carter has nothing else to bring in good money, all he has left is TXF, if he doesn't end on cliffhangers then the fans won't be nagging FOX to bring back TXF, and if TXF comes back CC gets another paycheck. I wish FOX would fire him already and let someone better take over the direction of the series, but we all know that won't happen. CC is an effing control freak.

The actors were given such poor direction that David Duchovny still doesn’t know if Mulder and Scully are married.

Mulder and Scully were never married.

Certain “fan representatives,” including podcasters and prominent fansite editors-in-chief, repeatedly insulted and/or were condescending to other fans.

This is the XF fandom, this isn't unusual by any stretch of the imagination.

The revival was so terrible it tarnished my love of the original series.

The MSR coming to fruition actually did this for me.

The last point, "I give up," is probably where each and every fan of TXF needs to stand right now.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Fri 20 Oct 2017, 16:44

I skimmed it because it is long and, apart from the MSR whining, know i would have probably said the same things about s10 loads of times. It's glaringly true and obvious and for the life of me i do not know why any one is still interested seriously in this show continuing. The thing is what's the point of it returning? There really isn't anymore story left to tell, no matter what some of the cast and crew say...what they mean is it ended badly and things were left hanging but that doesn't mean you need to come back now and it doesn't mean there are stories left to tell. There arent. At least not under CCs watchful eye. Because without him something unique, original, exciting could happen. Even without Mulder and Scully . But because of even fans like the above, people will lose their shit if M&S aren't in it - the fact they broke up and are barely on screen together in s10 pisses them off enough!

There is potential to tell a new story around the x-files but not this way.

The only reason they are doing all this is for ego and money. It's a nice nostalgia and ego trip for DD and CC and possibly GA , though she has other things she can do, and if anything it is typical of DD and CC. They are probably so similar it's why they had issues in the past. They are relatively talentless (though DD is a good writer/director as far I know) and don't know a good thing when they have it.
gorgclaud
Narc!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Sat 21 Oct 2017, 23:21

gorgclaud wrote:I skimmed it because it is long and, apart from the MSR whining, know i would have probably said the same things about s10 loads of times. It's glaringly true and obvious and for the life of me i do not know why any one is still interested seriously in this show continuing.

I think most fans are interested only to see Mulder and Scully gaze, hold hands, and maybe kiss and have sex with each other. That's the only reason I think a lot of fans want TXF to continue. And that reason has NOTHING to do with the actual plot/arcs of the series itself. I truly hope CC says "fuck you" to the 'shippers and keeps Mulder and Scully as not a couple. I'm so sick of the 'shippers whining and complaining only to get their way again and again and again.

The thing is what's the point of it returning? There really isn't anymore story left to tell, no matter what some of the cast and crew say...what they mean is it ended badly and things were left hanging but that doesn't mean you need to come back now and it doesn't mean there are stories left to tell. There arent. At least not under CCs watchful eye.

There really is no point in TXF returning. Carter can say a million times that there will always be XF stories to tell, and I'm sure there are, but there comes a point when the series has grown tired, and that those stories can be told through other means (write a book, write an article, write a movie, or go write it on another tv program that still has life left in it). I think CC regrets how shitty the original series finale was, and how shitty IWTB was received by most fans. I think he wants to try to prove to us that he's talented and without a series bible can weave a good story. I'm hoping that Glen Morgan is going behind his back and at least creating a series bible for these new "series event" things.

Because without him something unique, original, exciting could happen. Even without Mulder and Scully . But because of even fans like the above, people will lose their shit if M&S aren't in it - the fact they broke up and are barely on screen together in s10 pisses them off enough!

There is potential to tell a new story around the x-files but not this way.

Carter will always drive his projects into the ground. He did it with TXF, he did it with MLM, he did it with HR, and he did it with TLG. I honestly believe if it weren't for the rabid MSR "will they or won't they" bull crap in the 90s that TXF would have failed too.

I do think that if they wanted to continue TXF they could easily do so with new characters at the head of the show. I'm partial to Miller, and would love to see more of him, and Einstein could be good if only she changed her name (because really, "Einstein" sounds ridiculous and cannot be taken seriously on the series, no disrespect to the actual Einstein, but the character name is so poorly chosen). But if TXF were to continue with new characters THEY ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BE CARBON COPIES OF MULDER AND SCULLY. The Mulder and Scully dynamic is boring now. It's expected from TXF/CC because CC cannot come up with anything new and interesting (no matter how many times he says things in s11 are going to be done in new and interesting ways - repeating that over and over again tells me that things in s11 are NOT going to be "new" and "interesting" - I want to hope they will be, and my hopes hang on Darin, Glen, and Jim, but I also doubt it. Anytime CC says smthg with TXF is new, it's not).

I actually like "My Struggle 2" the best of CC's s10 episodes because finally!!! Mulder and Scully aren't in any scenes together except at the very end (IIRC). I hate watching Mulder and Scully together, they bore me to tears. I'd much rather watch Mulder on his own, and Scully on her own. When they're together ugggghhhhhhhh! I get so bored I could scream!

But when they're apart, as they were in MS2, I also laugh at the little 'shippers who are angry and upset about it! HA! Finally, they 'shippers are suffering!

The only reason they are doing all this is for ego and money. It's a nice nostalgia and ego trip for DD and CC and possibly GA , though she has other things she can do, and if anything it is typical of DD and CC. They are probably so similar it's why they had issues in the past. They are relatively talentless (though DD is a good writer/director as far I know) and don't know a good thing when they have it.

I agree. I think having all the fans gush over stupid selfies that DD and GA take together is a nice little boost to both DD and GA's egos. I think having 'shippers beg and plead for more MSR crap helps boost CC's feeling of "being God-like." And I really think one of the biggest, and only reason, TXF came back for that 2016 "series event" thing was because CC needs a paycheck. That's why s10 ended with a cliffhanger (without absolution that TXF would come back for s11), and that's why I expect s11 to end in a cliffhanger as well. Carter needs money, and his only money-making project he's ever had, that ever amounted to anything (thanks to better, more talented and capable writers) was TXF. I wouldn't be surprised if after these TV series events that CC tries to push for another XF big screen movie, simply for more money.

Also, I really hope GA leaves after s11. It's painfully obvious she doesn't really want to be doing Scully anymore, and it's hard to watch a halfassed performance by GA as that character (and GA can't even make Scully Scully anymore). Let GA go, and if TXF must continue to fill CC's bank account, let it go on with Mulder (and Doggett if they can make that happen, I'd love to see actual cases investigated by Doggett and Mulder, like how I wish season 9 had been).
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sun 22 Oct 2017, 16:04

I know this is a lame reply but i cannot add anything more to what you said because I agree wholeheartedly with every single word you wrote. You said everything and you stated it perfectly! thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup iloveyou
gorgclaud
Narc!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Sun 22 Oct 2017, 20:36

And the thing is... I could probably say more, but I don't want to waste my energy on a something that doesn't really amount to a thing anymore. peace
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top