Robert Patrick on Twitter!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Robert Patrick on Twitter!!!

Post by Adriana on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 13:15

HEY! ATTENTION! Robert Patrick on Twitter!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Adriana
"PASS" - Love, Modell

http://robert-patrick.ws

Back to top Go down

Re: Robert Patrick on Twitter!!!

Post by Cassiopeia on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 15:14

Oh cool! Does he mind if we promote it on our RP websites? I'm working on an update for tomorrow (or later tonight if my MKV download of 'last resort' ep1 finishes anytime soon).

I hope he joins up on Facebook one day, I cannot bring myself to sign up on Twitter. I refuse to twit and twat LOL
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Adriana on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 15:32

Dana Doggett wrote:Oh cool! Does he mind if we promote it on our RP websites?

I added the link to my news page!
Adriana
"PASS" - Love, Modell

http://robert-patrick.ws

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 17:02

Cool. I added a link to it on the RPA links page and will announce it with tomorrow's update smile
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 11:22

I agree. He should get on Facebook like his brother.
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 14:17

I love reading his brother's posts on FB, riling up people with politics LOL I love him!
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 21:21

OK, I've been following RP's tweets today, and it's somewhat amusing. He's commented on the cute weather girls on TV, flirted with Annabeth Gish (who welcomed him to Twitter), calling himself an "old man", and mentioned that he loves ZZ Top. I can recall in several past interviews he stated that he didn't get all of this social media stuff and wasn't interested in doing it.... He now says Barbara got him to do Twitter, and in his first 24 hours, he has already sent out 116 tweets and gotten over 500 followers. I believe his wife has created a monster!! biggrin

P.S.: He is following Adriana's RP Website Twitter feed, and has made comments to her, so that's pretty cool!! I haven't made any direct comments to him; I just feel too dorky at the moment. Maybe at some point. He's very gracious when he gets complimentary tweets from fans. (As if we would expect him to be otherwise.) wub

Last edited by Tarathemis on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 21:22; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors)
Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 22:42

I think I'm an odd one out here... but... and nothing against SoXers here, but... XF fans following XF celebs creeps me out. I'm all good with hitting "like" on an official celeb page for TXF, maybe it's just knowing some of those RP fans out there are cray cray, you know? I kind of stay out of the RP fandom because of a handful of fucktards that I ran into in the past who are a bit crazy about being a fan of his.

It really could be "creating a monster" too, social network addiction/internet addiction/status updating addiction, those are modern addictions in our online connected world. The more rewards you get (likes, followers, comments back to you, whatever) the more energized (??) the reward centre in your brain feels, therefore the high from this new object of addiction, makes you want to feel that high more and more, so you comment more, tweet more, feel out for new likes or followers, and soon you want it more and more and need more and more to feel like you got your fix (obviously I'm not speaking with tech jargon, can't muster up the brain to do that right now). I did a good bit of research on online/social networking addiction about a year ago for my speech class, and spoke to a guy who works with addicts so I got a good handle on it - I'm sure y'all know what I'm talking about.

Anyway... online craze/trends like this scares me.

*bows out*
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 22:45

Yep, just checked out some of it... heebie jeebies from some XF usernames... Again, no offense to anyone, but I just don't get this fad of following celebs and pretending to have a friendship with the person in which you don't actually know. That creeps me out, always has (and not just within the XF/RP fandom - one of the creepiest fan/celeb interactions I've seen has been in the figure skating fandom).
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 23:33

Cassie, I totally understand what you're saying. To be very honest, after reading a day of RP's tweets, I'm beginning to feel..... weird. It really relates to the reality --- for me, at least --- that I actually prefer some distance between myself and a public person whose work I admire.

I feel conflicted about RP being on Twitter, partly because I absolutely HATE Twitter itself. Stupid concept. Anyway, there's the part that's kind of interesting to read what he has to say about the work he's doing (i.e., he's home from Hawaii for 2 weeks before returning for more LR shooting, which leads me to think there will be a few RP-free episodes coming up, so I'll probably struggle to watch those). If I can find out about his upcoming projects, well, that's cool.

Then there's the part of me that doesn't really want to get to know TOO much about him personally, because I'm afraid I might not like what I read (such as stuff about politics or religion). Quite honestly, living in L.A. for 14 years and meeting celebs in person kinda really dampened my overall enjoyment of movies and TV, and really gave me a more negative perspective of the entertainment industry. I don't want to end up liking RP a little less because of something he said about an issue on Twitter. I want to keep my focus on his acting work.

I totally agree with the creepiness of people assuming a friendship or connection to a celebrity that doesn't actually exist. We saw how warped that can become ourselves thanks to the Craziness That Was Luvy. Yes, RP is garnering a lot of attention from XF fans, but I suspect that'll die down soon. I hope. Maybe I'm being naive.

The thing that honestly concerns me the most is that with Twitter as well as Instagram, he's sharing photos of his home and family and personal interests. I really hope he's not exposing himself to some stalker by doing this. For example, both he and Barbara have posted photos of their son Sam at school activities, and the name of the school is clearly visible. I believe Barbara even mentions the school by name. I know that school --- I used to live in North Hollywood, not even two miles away from it, and I used to drive right by that school on a regular basis, so I instantly knew exactly where it was. That left me feeling like a had information about them them that I shouldn't, yet they're the ones who put it out there. It was a very weird feeling, and strangely voyeuristic. It actually made me uncomfortable.

OK, now having said all that, I get it. I get that social media is "it" now, and as an actor who must continually market himself (I guess), I understand why his wife started promoting him on Twitter, and why she got him to start doing it. I don't have any worries that RP will turn into a Kardashian-like, social media self-whoring fame machine or anything like that, obviously. He seems like a very grounded guy.

And, as someone who enjoys RP, I have to admit: it was fun to read his initial start with the whole process. It's kind of cute in it's own innocent way. He seemed to truly appreciate the fan support, and I am glad for him that he knows there are a lot of people who admire and follow his work. He deserves that. But I hear you, and I have my own concerns that it cannot possibly stay cute or innocent.

Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 00:20

I would much prefer that he set up an official website to reach out to fans, and not expose himself to fans directly on sites like Twitter. But that's just my opinion on the issue (for any celebrity actually). I don't check out his Insta-whatever site, I'll likely not go back to check out his Twitter page, and even now after having scrolled on it for less than a minute I'm thinking that I would feel better about myself as a human being to not spread his account. No disrespect to Robert Patrick and his wife for setting him up, but the whole thing with celebrities interacting with fans like this bothers me and makes me uncomfortable.

Years ago I loved that Robert Patrick didn't have anything online to interact with fans, and that back when he had his official website that he would have his webmaster conduct fan/RP interviews via posting a question to him on the forum that might be answered in a future interview for fans. I miss that, that was fun, and within a controlled environment.

I think that most celebrities should not give away any personal information online where fans (read: potential stalkers) could find information to point them in a direction to get them physically closer to them. Posting info about a child's school location (OMG! I'm surprised that happened!) or even pictures of a child of a celebrity parent, really isn't all that smart. You don't know who you are really interacting with on the other side of your computer monitor, you don't know their mental state of being. Granted, most people online are harmless, but there's the risk that the small percent of them could be a potential threat to you. A threat does NOT have to exist in your physical environment, believe me, it does NOT. I've had an online stalker (often wonder if that's still going on considering an email my sis' got a few weeks back), just because this person is an ocean away did NOT mean that her interactions with me were not harmless. Increased anxiety over who I can and cannot trust, having difficulty believing a username NOT to be hers, worrying about my personal email being hacked into, or my personal FB account, or website. She found out the exact street address to my apartment and my sister's phone number for fuck's sake! And to our knowledge, we didn't publicly display any of that information, she found a way to get at it.

I have a deep respect for the celebrities that I admire and whose work that I follow. That's probably one of the (handful of) reasons why this bothers me. I hope he has fun on Twitter, and I hope that the fans cool down a bit, some of what I saw was just... eye-roll inducing (harmless, but eye-roll inducing). Perhaps I'm considering how I would feel if I got on Twitter and had random people I didn't know following me. I would get off of Twitter the next day! LOL

RP does seem to be a very grounded guy, and I'm sure he won't become one of those social media self-whoring fame machines. I love that he's seeing first hand how many fans love him and support him. But I just worry (probably more than I should) about fans.

I made more of a rant of it here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 00:21

And yeah, RPA is my fansite, and celeb twitter pages make me uncomfortable. I think I'm going to go remove the link from my site now. I'm just not comfortable sharing the link. Sorry RP, I hope you understand blush
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Wed 07 Nov 2012, 07:56

Reflection on Twitter and celebrities:

Although I maintain a Twitter account, I am really hating it.... ESPECIALLY now that RP is on it. I hate reading his very nice-yet-totally-unaware interactions with some of the psycho fans (who are so ass-kissy in some cases I just want to hurl), I hate knowing more than I should about him personally, I just hate this whole, weird instant-contact-with-famous-people culture we've created via the internet. I did send him a tweet alerting him to the RPA birthday project, to which he did not directly respond, which is fine because I am sure he must have seen it and had the option to go check out all of Cassie's amazing hard work.

I remember reading an interview with Harrison Ford many years ago when he talked about why he so disliked discussing or revealing anything about his personal life. He said that he really wanted people to focus on his work, not on him personally. He talked about how hard it can become to see and believe an actor in a role when you know lots of details about his or her personal life. After living in Los Angeles for several years, I completely understood what he meant by this. Hearing about actors' personal behaviors (usually bad) from friends who worked in TV and films, or running into celebrities in person (fuck YOU, George Lucas) really killed my love for most TV and movies. I rarely ever go to see a movie or watch TV anymore, and I know that this is the primary reason.

So, I am going to really try to stop reading RP's tweets. Yes, he is generally gracious and genuinely nice --- also, he keeps referring to it as "Tweeter", rather than "Twitter", which is cutely funny. I'm sure I'll be tempted to take a peek here and there, but I don't need such direct access to RP's thoughts and interests to enjoy his acting, which is what made me a fan in the first place.

Anyone else see his tweets? Anyone else feel this way? It just feels.... voyeuristic. What's worse, it's a form of voyeurism in which the subject is an active participant! It's just feeling way too weird.
Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Wed 07 Nov 2012, 13:08

I checked on his birthday (and felt horrible for doing so). I agree with everything that you said above. I don't need to know his every tweet/thought that he choses to post online, I don't need to see the ass kissing that a few of his asshole fans do to him in order to maintain a perception of being his friend. I'm thankful that I haven't seen anything personal about him when I have looked because that would really make me feel like a creepy fan.

I'm sorry to anyone who does follow celebs on Twitter, but I find the whole fans following celebs thing very creepy, almost stalker-like (and I'm basing that on the fact that I've dealt with stalkers both online and one that I knew in a face-to-face kind of way - who also originated online). Seeing fans tweet to or retweet (or however that works where they interact) with a celebrity is creepy. It can be innocent, but it still looks, reads, and feels creepy. That's my opinion on it all.

It doesn't bother me at all that he didn't re-tweet your comment to him about the birthday wishes at RPA (it probably keeps some of those creepy fans off my site *crosses fingers and hopes*).

I get the whole thing about meeting celebrities and having a changed opinion on them/their work. Fortunately for me I actually had an experience where I didn't like a figure skater and thought he was an asshole, and then back in 2003 I was able to attend every single practice session at the Grand Prix Final and saw how friendly and how liked he was by all the skaters (and how he was with his fans in the audience) and though I still can't stand his style of skating, I do view him as a good person in general. Same can't be said for a female skater who I thought was a snob before and AFTER having seen/met her, still can't stand that her skating style is actually pleasing in comparison to some of the current skaters LOL Any actors that I've met I've had good experiences with, but then I didn't really hold any kind of conversation with any of them so it doesn't really count (except for Mark Sheppard, but that was about SPN characters and he kept the convo going - and even then... it was a few minutes long and didn't reveal much about him as a person).

RP calls it "Tweeter"?!? LOL Perhaps this is an indication that he finds the whole thing a little ridiculous too.

I do wonder though... does it creep him out just a little bit having so many fans/XF fans following him? That would creep me out (why I hid many XF fans from my FB news feed, and why I'm in the process of leaving my Dana Doggett FB account to be a static account - XF fans, from my experience, are creepy and obsessive) <--- not exactly the kind of fan that should be allowed to follow a celebrity online, IMO.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Wed 07 Nov 2012, 13:10

This way of thinking is also why I refuse to share paparazzi pictures of RP on RPA, and why I'm going to un-affiliate with fansites that archive paparazzi images on their sites. Displaying images that violate the privacy of any celebrity is wrong, and by downloading and distributing the images webmasters are only giving fuel to the paparazzi to carry on. I cannot and will never stand by that. It's creepy when a fansite choses to archive paparazzi images, same kind of mentality as ppl who follow celebrities like their actually friends online.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Wed 07 Nov 2012, 15:25

Your question wondering if the weird XF fans creep him out: I honestly don't think he gets that. As much as I love the man's work, he is an actor AND a Scorpio, which means there is some ego involved here; I think he must love the attention to some degree. This isn't a knock on RP, it's just an honest comment based on my experience with actors (and Scorpio men). rolleyes

Having studied and pursued acting myself back in the day, my own experience was that you do have to enjoy a certain amount of "public" attention to get up on stage (or in front of a camera). There is a certain rush from performing in front of an audience that isn't like anything else. I don't know if you had that experience with skating, but for me doing acting and musical performing, it was an energizing (and at times a bit terrifying) experience. I loved it, even though you really had to put yourself on the line at times. So, I think there may be an element for RP of enjoying getting such adoring feedback, and I guess I can't fault him necessarily. He's been in this business for over twenty years, he's done some crappy films that have been horribly reviewed, and while I am sure he has built up a certain level of immunity to that part of the acting biz, it must be great to have a place where everyone who's connecting with you is doing so because they think you are awesome. Does that make any sense?

For full disclosure, I will say that what I really enjoy are Barbara Patrick's tweets and Instagram postings that feature their cat. (RP has also posted a few pics of their animals that I have "liked" or "favorited" or whatever). What can I say, I'm a crazy cat lady and am no stranger to putting my cats on the internet, so I can't help that part. After all, I started my own Instagram account just to post pictures of my cat Pandora and promote her Facebook page!! Shameless, I know.....

Anyway, that's my current take on all of this, for what it's worth. I find this whole conversation about celebrity and social media quite fascinating, if not also somewhat distressing. It's a whole different world for fans now, isn't?

Last edited by Tarathemis on Thu 08 Nov 2012, 13:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)
Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Wed 07 Nov 2012, 17:05

That makes sense. Someone pursuing a career that brings them into the public eye must enjoy a certain amount of attention. I hadn't thought of that before, but that doesn't mean that the fans following don't creep me out any less. It must be nice to have people following you because they enjoy your work, but when I saw names of people who have been hateful/rude/accusatory towards me acting like his #1 and #2 fans... yeah... that's when the real feel of "creepy" hit me. A celebrity has no clue what these people have been like towards his other fans. I'm not sure that would change how he behaved/s with them since he's kind and generous and appreciative towards his fans, but to know that problematic types are getting his appreciation and respect... yeah... and that they're following him online... and acting like they're his friends... <--- creepy. I would never behave that way about a celebrity, and I never have.

I never enjoyed the rush from performing in front of an audience when skating. That's why I didn't compete much and only did shows/exhibitions (and usually not just me on the ice when I did). I don't thrive off that kind of pressure to perform with all eyes on me. It makes me nervous and then I don't perform as well as I skate in practices.

It's been months since I saw Barbara's pages. She posts pics of her cat?!? Awwww! I think I saw a pic of their cat a few months back on RP's instagram page.

It is an interesting discussion on the state of celebrity/tv/movie fandom/fans. I know it's the "thing" to do now, but I still don't think it's the best option for celebrities to connect with their fans. I still think an official website or a Facebook/Twitter account run by a representative would be better than direct contact between celebrity and fans.

It just feels like all fans enjoy is being a part of tabloid-like discussions/behaviour, and I'm 110% against tabloids/paparazzi.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Wed 07 Nov 2012, 21:43

I totally agree: the fans who interact with him and act like they are somehow personal friends is just way too weird. It's also pathetic, really; we have this forum here where we can discuss a variety of topics that includes RP and his work, but that is one small piece of all of the SoX interactions and exchanges. There is definitely a small group of fans on Twitter who are constantly tweeting him and/or replying to his tweets, however inconsequential they may be, which tells me that RP is their ENTIRE focus. Do they have friends in the real world? Do they have other interests? I cannot imagine having that kind of time during my work day to obsess on a celebrity via fucking Twitter (or Facebook or anything else, really). It seems like that group of fans spends an inordinate amount of time attempting to maintain their thin little connection to RP, and that is just sad and pitiful.... and creepy, as you mentioned.

Is it weird of ME that I am much more entertained by the photos of their PETS than their opinions or interests?!?!? rolleyes

I could really give a shit what RP tweets about a football game he's watching --- but of course, if that's what he enjoys tweeting about, gods bless him, go for it, man, it's your Twitter account! I just think it's lame. The other piece of Twitter that is so stupid to me is that you often cannot follow a conversation, so it's just these disjointed comments that don't seem to have a real context. Twitter is just..... ugh.
Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Wed 07 Nov 2012, 22:44

Yeah... focusing in on one person to maintain the impression of having a connection with RP (or any celebrity). I find it creepy before I find it pitiful LOL

No, totally not weird of you to be more entertained by photos of their pets LOL When I read that you wrote that's pretty much what Barbara posts I wanted to go find her account (but don't remember it) just to see cat photos. I love animals and think dogs and cats and other various pets (rodents!!!) are so cute. When I see a picture of any celeb with an animal my attention goes to the animal, not the celeb. Animals are so cute and I love seeing pictures of them.

I will never understand the reason *why* people Twit/Twat because from what I can tell any twits are basically unimportant marks of what any given person is doing at any given time. I find it boring and completely uneventful. It's also not very interactive in the kind of way that I like to interact with other people online. I like conversation and discussion not "go Pack, go!" or "Yeah!", you know?

I'll never twit, you can bet your life savings on that.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Thu 08 Nov 2012, 04:08

I agree with most of this. I have never understood Twitter, mainly because it looks like a mess and its one line with a hash symbol and I can't figure out who is saying what or to who or why they hash tag certain remarks. Really confusing.

I am genuinely surprised RP is on Twitter, because I fondly remember an interview he did a few years back, on You Tube and the interviewer asked if he would make a Facebook page or get on Twitter and he was really not interested and said "No, my fans can make pages, but I am not."

I then wonder if its something he has been asked to do because he is on a new TV show and it will give it more advertising. Or if its something to do with the incident involving the privacy issues of BoozeFighters we had not too long ago, where he feels that he would be happier putting things online himself and then at least he is in more control of it.

But even those reasons sound strange for RP. He has always seemed like the type of man who does what he likes and doesn't fall under the pressure of celebrity social activities. But then I don't really know him.

I find it all a bit pointless, you know, what he is up to and pics of his pets, because it just doesn't do anything for me. I don't have issues with people who follow him, because I don't think there is anything wrong with being a fan and having interest in what they do. But feeling like you are buddy buddy with a celeb, well that can seem appealing but highly dysfunctional. They are just another human being.

I can safely say, I know how it feels to really like an actor, but its not really about the actor, its more about myself, in that I love to be in a fantasy now and then and entertainment helps me with that. Usually when things are a bit hard in life, I like to watch something and think about the characters etc. But then I will read a book and think about the characters too, so I just like some escapism.

I remember when (and I am sure others here too) I missed an opportunity to meet RP and I was really mad. I regret getting that mad. I was silly but it was not so much about RP, but myself. At that time I was due to have two more surgeries and I of course, being the pessimistic Jewish thinker I am, thought I might die in those surgeries and I thought it would be unfortunate if I could not meet RP before I died!! LOL.

Now I don't think that way. Meeting my fave celebs appeals to me less and less. Even RP. The celebs I like are talented people, I think they are fab, but I don't think its worth getting too upset about if you can't meet them or going to massive lengths to see them. As I get older, I become less attached to the idea. They are just people and there are people everywhere, teachers and politicians and doctors, nurses, fire-fighters...they are more heroic to me now.

Once, my brother accused me of having something called Celebrity Worship Syndrome. It came from the fact I was putting pics of celebs on my Facebook page a lot and he had issues with it. This particular syndrome, which is not really science-based, but some journalist in a newspaper wrote about it and called it this, is when you might try to be where that celeb is or wonder what they eat, or have their pics all over your house with candles and stuff. So I said to my brother, I don't do anything of those things and what you are accusing me of is an extreme thing, I just like a few pics of some cute men. And he doesn't know me very well, so my page might look like that but I do do other things in my day! LOL.

I fangirl - which means I go into teenage mode and get obsessed with something that tickles me that month or week or year...what ever. I tend to like something fun to do amongst all the days of mundane things. And everyone will do that. What we choose is just different. I think there is a negative way of thinking about it being about a celeb or TV show that makes it less acceptable than say a book or gaming. Nowadays, theres a bit of a obsession snobbery....some people judge the hobbies you like and if they don't seem intellectual then its just silly.

I just see it as fun. But contacting a celeb can give the illusion that its more than fun, that you somehow know them and their life can seem more appealing than your own and you lose sight of your own life. Thats the danger.

I think though, its easy to assume about people, especially online. All we see are some fun usernames and a few nice words to RP and we assume this person does nothing else. If these people are grounded and have a lot of activities in their life, perhaps what they are doing is harmless. These people could just be ordinary people, who work hard or are lonely and saying a word here and there to RP brightens their day for a moment.

People who don't have any interest in TV or be a fan of someone might see us talking about TV shows in great depth on here and assume we do nothing but this and are pathetic people!!! Which of course, we are not!! But it might look that way to the ones who have no interest in it.

I think its risky for the celeb though. You run the risk of being criticised directly and having a stalker. I heard Nicki Minaj, the rapper, was criticised heavily and had to shut down her Twitter account. I just don't think celebs should expose them self so easily.

I think the whole Luv2Luv thing creeped me out a lot and when I thought of myself as a fan and him as a fan, I thought I didn't want to associate with this kind of person or behaviour. Whereas before, when I thought that person was just a fan, they were not that dissimilar to me and they aren't doing any harm, like me....I just watch a film and adore a character of RP and thats it. But it wasn't and that connection to that behaviour was scary and it seemed it was a thin line to being a fan of his work, to behaving the way Luvy did.

I think all of that taught me a lot. I am still learning about to be a good person online. I know that sounds silly but its so easy to do the wrong thing online, like argue or judge or get too excited...and once its typed, its there forever. I think a lot of people don't know the right social etticate online. I think the social online world is so big and strange for humans, that we don't really know how to be with it. If we say something wrong in real life, we say sorry and hug that person. If someone upsets in real life, we might shed a tear, but crying about an upset word online can seem really strange and apologising online doesn't have the same impact as it does in real life. So I think, just as humans we have no idea how to handle online. So being in contact with a celeb, so easily, so directly, can make even the best person, act in a silly way.

I honestly think that online social stuff should be taught or have advise on. Like teenagers contacting celebs or debating online or spending too much time. Its too easy to contact a celeb, too easy to put your two-pennies in, too easy to say something you might not say in real life, too easy to spend hours online.

I think the net is great for a lot of reasons but the appeal of it is only increased because of families that don't see each other and live too far apart, traffic jams and office jobs, depression and loneliness. A long time ago, you might not have had family in the same town, but a card or a letter here and there made a nicer connection than Facebook. And between those letters were home-made cooking and holding a book in your hand and smelling the pages. Things had more substance. That gets lost very easily on line. But now I am babbling........online. And getting off the point.
gorgclaud
Narc!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Thu 08 Nov 2012, 14:53

Claudine, what you are saying makes total sense to me. I have my "fangirl" moments as well where something (a book, a move, a TV show) strikes my fancy and I get really into it for a little while. This is especiially true if I need an escape from mundane life --- sometimes we all need a fun and fanciful distraction.

I do understand your point that we cannot judge all of the RP fans on Twitter (or anyone else) as being pathetic losers with no other life. Some of them certainly just seem to be enthusiastic fans who frequently take a moment to tweet him or reply to his tweets. I also agree that it would be easy for others to judge us here on SoX, so I am sorry if I gave the impression that I am blanketly judging everyone, because that wasn't my intention.

That being said, there are some very specific people in the small group to which I was referring that Cassie has identified as being psycho, aggressive XF fans. I also know that a couple of those people have gone out of their way to follow Robert to events on multiple occasions (one I learned about from Cassie, the other I know has done this from other sources). THOSE are the kinds of people I am directly saying are......well, to be blunt, possibly a little bit off. One of these women moved from the east coast to L.A. to pursue an "acting career", but appears to spend the majority of her time collecting connections to certain celebrities, including Robert. She is also, from things I have read by her and about her, to be a real asshole to people that she sees as a threat. That woman really disturbs me, because I can tell by the Twitter stuff that Robert interacts with her and clearly has no clue. She is also somehow connected to Luvy, so it adds to the Big Red Flag Warning Sign for me whenever I see her pop up anywhere.

As to why RP got on Twitter, I think that has to do with his wife. She started her own Twitter account awhile back, and her account icon is a photo of her and Robert; also, most of her tweets were directly related to his work. I got a strong sense that she recognized the power of social media and was trying to help market Robert and promote his career, which I certainly don't fault her for. She loves him, they're partners, she wants him to continue to succeed. Based on what he has said in past interviews about not wanting to get into the internet stuff, I'm thinking that maybe he just saw how much fun she was having with it and got convinced to start up himself? He has said that his daughter is also into Twitter as well, so maybe he's just trying to engage in something that he knows his family enjoys. It still really bothers me, though, that Barbara continues to post photos of their son that identifies where he goes to school. She has also referenced Runyon Canyon, where they all go for hikes; this is another area I know in L.A., and it wouldn't be hard for a stalker to hang out on the trails there and wait in order to catch a glimpse or try to approach them or whatever. I honestly just think she needs to be more careful.

I simply will not apologize for my interest in photos of their pets, however, especially their cat!!! That's not being a weirdo fan, that's just being..... a general weirdo? tongue I'm joking. I know it's goofy, but I have spent too much time on Instagram looking at photos of cats, so I guess there's where I exercise my version of crazy. Don't even get me started on how much time I have wasted watching videos of cats on YouTube..... rolleyes I love animals, I certainly love cats or we wouldn't have 18 of the furry little darlings, so I do get enthused about other people who are like-minded.

I also agree with what you said about the internet and our online behavior and emotional experiences. I have really worked on not letting things said online upsetting me as much, because it really isn't worth it, and as you said, once you say something iit's out there you can't take it back. In that regard, social media has been a great personal growth tool for me in that I think about what I say before I post, I think about the impact it can have, and I think about how I am going to feel about myself if I get fired up and start saying shitty things. I want to be a good and reasonable person in life and online, so I have been working on my emotional self-control when my fingers hit the computer keyboard. smile

I have re-connected with a lot of old friends thanks to Facebook, so that has been really cool. I have also seen the positive power of the internet through, of all things, my cat Pandora's public Facebook page. I (or rather, she) gets lots of lovely, positive comments and messages from people all over the world. It has been very uplifting for me to see how much joy one little cat can bring to total strangers across the globe, and I feel a strong responsibility as the human typing "her" messages to keep it positive, fun, and informative. I want it to be a positive and safe place for visitors, and I intend to keep it that way.

I hope RP doesn't invite any really bad stuff too close to him and his family through Twitter, but I'll stick primarily to the cat-related corner of the internet..... and SoX, of course. thumbsup
Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Thu 08 Nov 2012, 15:48

Oh no, I never thought what you and Cassie were saying was overly harsh or uncalled for, I totally agree, there are some real whack jobs out there and they find it very hard to keep their head low and make it very obvious they have issues, but I was just saying that I am sure the majority of them are probably fine and the whole being interested in him is cool in my opinion.

But saying that, I had no idea about this person you were talking about, who moved location and has connections to Luvy. I honestly find it all very scary and hard to comprehend. I don't ever look at Twitter or anything really and I am not friends with Celebs on Facebook, so I am not aware of the weirdness that you and Cassie have seen.

You can look at anything you want online sweety!!!! If you wanna look at cats, then that is all good to me.... you know me, I know how it is to be into things that people don't understand or think is silly. People who know me just sigh at all my contradictions in what I like and the men I fancy and the geeky things I am into. I was just saying that I personally have no interest in celebs' pets or anything about their personal lives really. That's not to say what you do is silly. smile Its probably the most harmless thing to do online.

It has taken me some time to try and bite my tongue online too. I hate arguing online, I absolutely hate it. I like discussion but when the other is clearly angry and narrow-minded, it just aint worth the time or the fuss. I tend to be very honest and transparent as a person and that shows online, so I find not saying things difficult but I have learnt its better not to.

I had no idea your cat had her own page!!!! Famous cat!! I didn't know people would just look at pages for pets!! That sounds very fun and sweet and your cats are really uniquely beautiful.

I didnt even consider Barbara perhaps being an influence for RP to join Twitter. She probably got so many messages about how much they love him and probably told him it would be great for him to receive them and answer them.

gorgclaud
Narc!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Thu 08 Nov 2012, 16:38

Yes, my cat has her own FB page...... and she has (as of this morning) 343 fans all over the world!! And of course I know I am not judged here for my love of cats, I was being silly. It is wild to see how many OTHER cats she is friends with on FB. I had no idea how many people make FB pages for their pets until I started hers, and I had a somewhat serious reeason for starting it. Because of the impact my little Pandora has had on the children that I work with, I really wanted to share with others how much therapy animals can help children, as well as demonstrate that a cat with special needs can have a very normal life. You would not believe how many animals get dumped at shelters because they have a disability such as blindness, or were born missing a leg, etc. So, Pandora's FB page is my attempt to advocate for special needs as well as the healing power of therapy animals. It has been a wonderful experience for me. Pandora, of course, has no idea that there are people in other countries sending her adoring messages and getting a little joy from her.
Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Thu 08 Nov 2012, 16:43

Regarding Barbara Patrick and Twitter: you are correct, I saw a number of people tweeting her with things like, "Tell Robert I loved him in The Unit!" or, "Please tell Robert I've been a fan of his for years!", that sort of thing. I think she saw an opportunity for him to connect with his fan base. I also don't think he may have realized just how many fans he had, as he has always been so humble and low-key in interviews when talking about his fans or his level of celebrity.
Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ZoeG on Tue 13 Nov 2012, 16:51

Chiming in late on this but my take on Twitter, FB, and other social media dealies is this: it's a necessary evil right now for PR and marketing, especially in the entertainment industry.

I'm sure ABC (and every other network) is pushing for their writers, actors, producers, directors to get directly involved in curating fan bases for all of their properties. It's all about interaction and getting fans emotionally invested in the show (and it's characters/actors) so they'll watch and do the promoting for the network. Social media fans = free.

Also, advertisers, I kid you not, want to know how many social media fans a show has, how many times their #hastag gets mentioned, what their demographics are, etc. This directly affects how much networks can charge for advertising.

50,000 devoted fans on a social network site can be infinitely more valuable to an actor's career or network's show than a $6,000/month (on the cheap end) PR agent.

At the end of the day, social media is really a communication device. I can see how it would appeal to someone like RP. It exposes him to a broad range of people -- in and beyond is own social circle -- without the burden of maintaining his own website, email lists, PR machine, etc. It's an easy way to communicate with a large group of people at once; something that's not easily or effectively done in any other way. From that perspective, it's pretty darned cool.

I do hope the Patricks become more aware of what they're putting out there for public consumption. One mustn't underestimate the power of creepy people.
ZoeG
Quiet Willy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top