5 = one of the best hours of TV you'll ever see

View results

4x24 "Gethsemane"

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 23:35

4x24 "Gethsemane"
Original Air Date: 18 May 1997
Written by: Chris Carter
Directed by: R.W. Goodwin

Mulder finally discovers the ultimate proof of extraterrestrial life when he is contacted by a scientist who has found a preserved alien body in the mountains of Canada. Meanwhile, Scully is forced to confront her own mortality.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 4x24 "Gethsemane"

Post by Rey Solo on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:44

Average. It's one of the better season finales, that's for sure. smile I gave it a 3.
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue866 on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 15:55

Another "is Mulder dead??" episode? Plus we get the possibility of Scully betraying Mulder by calling him out as easily deceived and just a puppet in a larger scheme.

What's classic are two things, and both show Mulder and Scully character.

One, is Mulder's desire to see this 'real' alien find in the arctic ice. He gets so easily caught up, a lot like the previous episode, "Demons". He is so caught up that he pulls Scully from her family dinner (is it Thanksgiving?) and gives Bill, Jr a reason to start to despise Mulder, and Scully's work. But mostly Mulder. Mulder makes an easy scapegoat, but it's still Scully's choice to loyally and blindly follow Mulder. And that is number two - Scully's own struggles and the one pulling her from her family and faith and pushes her to Mulder as her only chosen family and to join him in the quest for alien truths. It is in this episode that she helps him, but at the same time she puts a stake in the ground and says "I can't follow you."

When Scully gets Mulder to listen to Kritschgau, he feels betrayed not only that he has followed a possible lie, but that Scully has turned her back on him and believes this guy. He feels betrayed by the world and by Scully. He also is feeling guilty if he in fact helped give Scully her death sentence by dragging her along in this hoax. That is why he appears on the brink of suicide.

Pretty good cliff-hanger.
Sue866
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:45

I actually find this episode pretty boring. I hate the fact that Mulder drags Scully away from her dinner with her family when he knows how important it is for her to get some time with them (she IS dying, for Christ's sake!), even though what he calls her away for is NOT urgent (they could have talked to the guy the next day just as easily, and they wouldn't have lost any time in getting out to see the body). It's not work-related, it's Mulder's own personal thing and he's well aware of the fact that Scully doesn't believe and isn't actually interested in aliens. It's just so incredibly selfish of Mulder to do this, it's one of those times I really just want to hurt him. Other than that, I can barely remember what happens in the rest of the episode, I don't find it that interesting at all. The one good part for me is at the end when Mulder is watching tv and crying (prior to supposedly killing himself). Duchovny's cry-acting can be horrifically bad sometimes, but this is probably his best, most realistic moment. It isn't overdone, and watching it, I can really believe that Mulder is sitting there feeling his whole world collapsing in around him, that he feels lost and purposeless and that he might legitimately be thinking of suicide. That part was brilliant.
TheInvisibleMan
The Gun In Doggett's Pocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top