5 = one of the best hours of TV you'll ever see

View results

4x22 "Elegy"

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 23:32

4x22 "Elegy"
Original Air Date: 4 May 1997
Written by: John Shiban
Directed by: Jim Charleston

With dead girls turning up, Mulder and Scully's investigation turns to a man in a home for the mentally challenged. The man, who fears for his life, has been able to see the all the victims' deaths before they happen.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 4x22 "Elegy"

Post by Rey Solo on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:42

I love the whole idea of the dying seeing the dead. It's very real.
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue866 on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 14:47

I do love this episode. I never remember what an episode is about by the title. The titles are so... non-descript - for me. But my boyfriend remembered from the first couple minutes of the opening that this episode was about ghosts and he hadn't watched it since he was in like Junior Highschool. hehe.

Very cool X-File. Love the ghosts and how the dead can see the dying. So incredibly creepy since Scully has the visions. Again, she keeps this from Mulder. And again, Mulder gets pissed off at her. Grrrr, another scene that makes me angry at Mulder:

MULDER: Yeah. They found in an alley a few blocks from here, face down on the pavement. They worked on him for twenty minutes but he couldn't be revived.

SCULLY: What happened?

MULDER: Well, preliminary diagnosis is apnia - respiratory failure.

SCULLY: As a result of what?

MULDER: Well, the paramedics are at a loss to explain that, but if what you're saying is true, that Harold stopped taking his medications, then that could have been a factor in his death - at least in the visions that he was seeing.

SCULLY: Well, Harold Spuller wasn't dying, Mulder. He, he was killed as a result of what that woman took away from him.

MULDER: Is that your medical opinion?
Meaning, he's asking her how she can speculate like that when she's a non-believer. After all, what she just explained right there was more something Mulder would believe, that it was something emotional and not medical.

(Scully pauses. They have stopped walking and are standing on the ramp.)

SCULLY: I saw something Mulder.

MULDER: What?

SCULLY: The fourth victim. I saw her in the bathroom before you came to tell me.

MULDER: (in a slightly annoyed tone) Why didn't you tell me?

SCULLY: Because I didn't want to believe it. Because I don't want to believe it.

MULDER: Is that why you came down here, to prove that it wasn't true?

SCULLY: No, I came down here because you asked me to.

MULDER: Why can't you be honest with me?

SCULLY: (defensively) What do you want me to say? That you're right, that, that I believe it even if I don't. I mean, is that what you want?

MULDER: Is that what you think I want to hear?

SCULLY: (softly) No.

MULDER: You can believe what you want to believe, Scully, but you can't hide the truth from me because if you do, then you're working against me ... and yourself. (his voice softens) I know what you're afraid of. I'm afraid of the same thing.

SCULLY: The doctor said I was fine.

MULDER: I hope that's the truth.

SCULLY: (whispers) I'm going home.

(Scully walks down the ramp, leaving Mulder leaning against the wall.

In this scene, Mulder has so little empathy towards Scully. Again, he scolds her for leaving him out of her experiences and for "working against him". He tells her he is afraid of her dying but it's in a non-helpful or caring way. Like he's saying "I hope you don't leave me hanging, like usual." He does un-steel his jaw when he says he's afraid but that's not nearly "soft" enough, in my opinion.

Of course Scully insists she's fine and leaves without him making sure she gets to her car or her home safe. He just stands there. Doofus. The poor girl is scared of dying and of ghosts.
Sue866
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue866 on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 15:28

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I'm betting that the scenes at the bowling alley was the same set as the bowling alley scenes in "Fringe" with Sam Weiss. I love Fringe:X-Files similarities. :D

Also, we get some of the same elements here as "Irresistible". Scully is in denial about how she feels about this investigation. She has to visit the same psychologist as she does in "Irresistible". She admits she's trying to be strong for Mulder and because of Mulder.

Gah, I love this show. :)
Sue866
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 22:03

I've always been a big fan of this episode, it's one of those that has stuck with me over the years. I'm with you, Sue, in being pissed off at the way Mulder handles Scully. He acts like her fears are a slight against him, and fails to support her emotionally when she opens up to him, getting angry with her instead of taking a moment to understand the reasons for her silence. For someone who is supposed to be so skilled with psychology, Mulder is frequently inept when it comes to actually recognising Scully's mental state and showing any empathy. He's intensely self-absorbed. Great episode though, lovely dark atmosphere, and I love how Scully becomes indirectly involved through her visions of the dead.
TheInvisibleMan
The Gun In Doggett's Pocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top