4x20 "Small Potatoes"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How would you rate 4x20 "Small Potatoes"?

1 = never should have been made

2 = mostly time wasting material

3 = fun, average, undemanding

4 = good episode, totally had fun watching it

5 = one of the best hours of TV you'll ever see

View results

4x20 "Small Potatoes"

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 23:30

4x20 "Small Potatoes"
Original Air Date: 20 April 1997
Written by: Vince Gilligan
Directed by: Cliff Bole

When several babies in the same town are all born with tails, the local OB-GYN is blamed for tampering with fertilized eggs. Mulder suspects a man who proves to be impossible to identify.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 4x20 "Small Potatoes"

Post by Rey Solo on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:41

I love that Vince caught Darin Morgan on a good day! SUPERSTAR! wub
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue866 on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 13:30

I do love this episode. I didn't give it a full "5", though. I love humorous episodes and it's so cute that Duchovny gets to impersonate his character! What a fabulous job he does. When Amanda is telling "Mulder" what a loser Eddie was, ashamed Eddie really comes through. And when Eddie is seducing Scully, it's a fine line of "is it Mulder or is it Eddie". And it's cool to see Mulder as the guy I'd like him to be - just a bit more. The guy who really listens to Scully. Who wants to know about her and who she has been. Scully talks about her old boyfriend and prom. So cute. She really feels she's talking to a friend. The horror on her face when the real Mulder bursts in is hilarious. I have to think her heart sank a bit, along with a LOT of embarrassment. Hehe. Mulder, too, must have been embarrassed. You had to believe that for a while after that moment they were a little awkward. Hehe. Eddie shows Mulder that he could have anything he wanted if he were more... suave and less emotionally "closed off".
EDDIE: I just think it's funny. I was born a loser, but you're one by choice.

MULDER: On what do you base that astute assessment?

EDDIE: Experience. (Eddie leans forward) You should live a little. Treat yourself. God knows I would if I were you.

(Mulder gets up and leaves. Scully is in the hallway. She has watched and heard the conversation on a TV monitor. He signs out with the guard.)

GUARD: Good day, sir.

(They walk down the hall together, neither looking very happy. Scully's arms are folded, but then she unfolds them and puts her hands in her coat pockets. Mulder is fiddling with his sleeves and looking down at the floor as he walks.)

SCULLY: I don't imagine you need to be told this Mulder, but you're not a loser.

MULDER: Yeah, but I'm no Eddie Van Blundht either. Am I?

(He glances quickly over at her. She doesn't respond and stares straight ahead. Mulder continues to fiddle with his hands and looks ahead as well.

When he says "Yeah, but I'm no Eddie Van Blundht either. Am I?" he's so accusatory. That always strikes me. I mean, who's fault is that? It's not Scully's fault you're inept. I mean c'mon. It sounds like he's saying "am I not enough for you the way I am?" but that isn't true at all. He's the one that's closed off in that manner. He's gotta know it, but he turns it around on her - that she was a fool for falling for someone who isn't the Real Mulder. That has always irked me. But - hey - that's who Mulder is.
Sue866
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue866 on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 13:31

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that this is another rape episode, essentially, like PMP. That is creepy if it weren't so damn funny.... Or is it still creepy???
Sue866
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Fri 02 Nov 2012, 09:47

Sue866 wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that this is another rape episode, essentially, like PMP. That is creepy if it weren't so damn funny.... Or is it still creepy???
This occurred to me as well. The big difference here is how it's handled. Even though we aren't encouraged to despise Eddie for his actions (just like we're supposed to sympathise with The Great Mutato in PMP), the important thing is that Eddie isn't allowed to get away with it. His crimes aren't shrugged off as inconsequential the way Mutato's are in PMP, he is still tracked down, arrested, and jailed. So even though there's a fine line there with potentially treating rape like it's no big deal, I think Small Potatoes stays on the right side of that line, because it still persecutes the criminal and doesn't try to make him into a good guy.
Also important in this is the fact that (as much as I don't want to sound like I'm defining different "types" of rape) Eddie impersonates these women's husbands (or their fantasies), so they don't realise anything is wrong. He's still committing a serious crime, but he's not doing it maliciously to hurt his victims, in fact he actively seeks out ways to be what they want. The problem of course is that he's tricking them and that they don't actually want to have sex with him, so it's still rape. But it's a far cry from The Great Mutato in PMP, who comes into women's homes when they're alone, drugs them, and assaults their unconscious bodies. Carter really expects us to smile at that and say "Well, he just wanted a family!" ??? censored
So, yeah, the moral of the story is, I can get along and laugh and enjoy Small Potatoes and not feel offended or disturbed by the way it handles a very serious and sensitive criminal act, because it doesn't insult me (and everyone) in the end by letting the bad guy get away with it, or acting like he should have. For the same reason, I cannot abide PMP (but that's a story for another thread).
TheInvisibleMan
The Gun In Doggett's Pocket

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 21:26

^And with that out of the way, I can say that I love this episode, it's hilarious! It's great to see the whole shapeshifting thing done in a new and interesting way (rather than the same-old same-old Alien Bounty Hunter Schtick), and Eddie!Mulder is excellent. Paul McGillion (the husband that Eddie impersonates before becoming Mulder) is an added bonus. And of course, it's written by my God, Vince Gilligan. Sounds like a recipe for a top-20 episode. biggrin
TheInvisibleMan
The Gun In Doggett's Pocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top