5 = one of the best hours of TV you'll ever see

View results

4x15 "Memento Mori"

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 23:17

4x15 "Memento Mori"
Original Air Date: 9 February 1997
Written by: Chris Carter, Vince Gilligan, John Shiban, Frank Spotnitz
Directed by: Rob Bowman

X-Rays taken reveal that Scully has a nonoperable tumor located between her nasal cavity and her brain. With Mulder at her side, they head to Allentown, Pennsylvania, to find the women she came into contact with one year ago ("Nisei") who may have the answers Scully needs.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 4x15 "Memento Mori"

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 23:19

Gaaah... I'm debating whether to give it a 4 or a 5 rating. On one hand it's a very well done episode (good writing, direction, acting), but on the other hand years of having watched it have made me really dislike the sappy, sad, weepy Scully journal scenes. I mean those scenes are good and all, but it's just over-watching the ep that has killed the emotional impact of the episode for me. What do I do give it a 4 or a 5?
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:36

Funny... I debated between 3 and 4. I went with 3. I think they could've handled the cancer arc considerably better.
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:36

Though.... Mulder was cute in that Awesome Leather Jacket. winkiss @ Dana Doggett
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue866 on Sat 20 Oct 2012, 14:06

I gave it a three. The best parts of this episode were the Bond-style break-in with the LGM and Mulder. The reveal of Scully's stolen ova and the fact she has inoperable cancer was most astonishing. Of course, more-so on the first viewing. Not so much anymore.

The nauseating journal entries were the most detracting. Again, no one 'talks' like that. I don't believe even Scully does. The general thoughts I believe, it's just so... long and drawn out. In her entries she sounds like she's giving up, like she wants to concede to her fate and tells Mulder to go on without her. That doesn't seem like Scully, really. She's a fighter. I guess she gets that fight back at the end, but I'm not sure what changes her mind. Somehow the Dr was making the women worse? Or just wasn't helping them? I don't get that part. I'm guessing the women deteriorated so fast due to the doctor and she figured she'd be fine for a long while without any treatment. But she's a trained doctor, she should know what could be or not be effective or what the prognosis is for time.

The end scene was sweet. Scully looks so sad after Penny passed away. Mulder looks uncomfortable with compassion and empathy both in the beginning with the flowers, and at the end after Penny passed. He tries to subdue sadness with comedy. That's just his way. But embrace is nice, especially after their fight in Never Again.

Of course I love the deleted scene with Bill Scully, Jr. I wish they'd have left that in. You could tell Bill was scared of another family member dying but trying to be brave. I heart Bill and Scully's family. :)

Sue866
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Sun 21 Oct 2012, 12:15

My bets on Carter wrote the journal entries, only he writes unrealistic dialog and sap crap.

I like the last scene between M&S too, one of their best. And the Bill Jr. deleted scene is so good too! I think that was desperately needed for the airing of the episode/final cut. It would have shown us that Scully's family was there for her, instead of just her mother (of course our actual first meeting of Bill Jr. was in s5, right?). I love Bill Jr. I never understood all the hatred towards him among XF fans (I actually do understand it, but I don't understand why their reasons are so petty - rolleyes 'shippers).
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 23:08

It's an ok episode. Doesn't excite me much really though. My favourite scenes are the ones with Skinner and CSM, which foreshadow the events in Zero Sum. Those freakin' horrible journal entries make me throw up a little in my mouth though. They're so weepy, and not in a believable way, in a ridiculous, contrived way. Carter tries so hard to sound grandiose and cosmic, and instead he just writes laughably bad, unrealistic drivel. It embarrasses me to think that this is supposed to be the way that Scully thinks, the way that she composes her thoughts. She is NOT that grossly sentimental.
TheInvisibleMan
The Gun In Doggett's Pocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top