4x05 "The Field Where I Died"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How would you rate 4x05 "The Field Where I Died"?

1 = never should have been made

2 = mostly time wasting material

3 = fun, average, undemanding

4 = good episode, totally had fun watching it

5 = one of the best hours of TV you'll ever see

View results

Post by Rey Solo on Sat 24 Apr 2010, 12:06

Original Air Date: 3 November 1996
Written by: Glen Morgan & James Wong
Directed by: Rob Bowman

Mulder is searching for an informant inside a cult compound, but he met Melissa, a cultist who claims to have known him in a previous life during the American Civil War instead.

Because everywhere I go I have to have this posted: The Teaser to "The Field Where I Died". Gives me the goosebumps! Beautiful episode, I've read the script to this a million times it's so worn out.

Kristi

==============

TEASER

OVER BLACK:

A breeze, soft and cool, whispers across eternity. In moments of doubt, this wind touches each of us. For some, a taunting hint. Others, a comforting reminder; of its' patient wait.

MULDER (V.O.)
At times I almost dream...

CUT TO:

EXT. A FIELD - DAY - WIDE

The breeze flits across a field, brushing lush grass. In the distance, rays of sunlight escape spectacular gray and white (CGI) cumulonimbus clouds to land upon majestic mountains.

And yet, the setting is not intimidating. One day... each of us will be here.

MULDER (V.O.)
(continuing)
I too have spent a life the
sages' way, / And tread once more
familiar paths.

To this point unnoticed, a human form sits alone on a rock or a hill, in the field. CAMERA BEGINS TO MOVE TOWARD the person...

MULDER (V.O.)
(continuing)
Perchance I perished in an
arrogant self-reliance/ An age
ago;

CAMERA CONTINUES to SWEEP TOWARD the figure, head down, looking not upon the scenery but at two objects held in his slightly trembling hands.

MULDER (V.O.)
(continuing)
and in that act, a prayer/ For
one more chance went up so
earnest, so...

AS CAMERA NEARS it becomes clear the figure is Fox Mulder. He is shaken. Confused. Heartbroken.

Yet, a certain sad hopefulness pushes him. Searching for serenity in an answer he wants to believe lies within his hands.

MULDER (V.O.)
(continuing)
Instinct with better light let
in by Death/ That life was
blotted out - not so
completely...

It becomes clear his hands hold two old photographs, one torn in half. His eyes... his soul... remain locked on these two images.

MULDER (V.O.)
(continuing)
But scattered wrecks enough of
it to remain,/ Dim memories;

CAMERA MOVES PAST MULDER AND DOWN to the PHOTOGRAPHS, REVEALING one yellowed photo of a Confederate soldier with a posed blank expression, hiding pride and fear behind clear gray eyes.

MULDER (V.O.)
(continuing)
as now, when seems once more...

The torn image is of a Confederate woman, not aristocracy; simply a pretty young woman captured with equal pride and fear.

MULDER (V.O.)
(continuing)
The goal in sight again...

CAMERA HOLDS on the ancient couple in Mulder's hands. And as the eternal wind taunts and comforts across the images, Mulder and the field...

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Re: 4x05 "The Field Where I Died"

Post by Cassiopeia on Sat 24 Apr 2010, 12:36

Another one of those "what is a SoX forum without this" threads :) Thanks for sharing.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Sat 24 Apr 2010, 12:48

I do what I can. This is required posting, just like the Knowle Stares At You Thread. :)
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Tue 01 May 2012, 08:57

bump

Because I watched this yesterday and totally flipped out over the episode! I haven't watched an episode in AGES! EONS! And I have to admit, when the FBI and ATF is raiding the Temple of the Seven Stars and we first see Mulder come through the door with a gun... OMG, I totally squealed over him! He's so adorably hot in this episode... I mean, not just that scene, but the WHOLE episode! I think because he's vulnerable in it and I just love that! wub

"The Field Where I Died" is just amazing. My very favorite episode of the ENTIRE SERIES! OMG! Like O.M.G! wub wub wub Literally, this episode takes my breath away. OMG. I'm so in love with it! cheer2
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Tue 01 May 2012, 08:57

And then there's the Godess (Kristen Cloke). OMG! She's just so amazing in this episode! What a talent! She's so perfect! wub
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Tue 01 May 2012, 08:58

And Vernon, my cult leader! wub I would so drink Kool-Aid for him!
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Tue 01 May 2012, 10:19

This is seriously one of THE BEST episodes of the entire series. I could watch it again. I was wondering though last night, why did Morgan & Wong choose this part of "Paracelsus" for the end caps of the episode? Does this poem have some kind of meaning about soul mates eternal?

at times I almost dream
I too have spent a life the sages' way,
And tread once more familiar paths. Perchance
I perished in an arrogant self-reliance
Ages ago; and in that act, a prayer
For one more chance went up so earnest, so
Instinct with better light let in by death,
That life was blotted out—not so completely
But scattered wrecks enough of it remain,
Dim memories, as now, when once more seems
The goal in sight again.

I found an interpretation of this part of the poem here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

interpretation by nishant2200:

The subject of the poem, says many times he has felt, dreamt, that just like sages, he has spent a meaningful life, and has had a feeling of deja vu, a premonition of past births, similar situations, multiple times.

Unfortunately he died, a long time back, in a previous life, in a life where he could not finish the goals, he was too over confident, but when the moment came to die, he realized, and prayed to God for one more chance. The moment of death enlightened him, this light which was led in by death, made him yearn for more lives where he could correct his mistakes and be with the ones he loved so dearly, once more.

Hence, this life was not really completely eradicated by that death. It could not be blotted out completely, but bits and parts of it remained, as sad memories, in his re-incarnation, and this re-birth, now he sees the goal in his sights again. He sees the person he loved again, and he has a chance to get what he lost in his past life again.

Yeah... Duchovny *perfectly* got the emotion of this interpretation through in his reading of the poem in the episode. This Mulder makes my heart ache for Mulder because you could see in Mulder's eyes the connection his soul made to the soul of Melissa. And when he found her dead, holding the picture of his/her past life in her hands, he knew then that she really did want to believe (or actually felt and believed) that she and Mulder were soul mates.

When Mulder does the hypnosis in this episode and says that his soul is tired, I want so badly for him to release his soul's exhaustion and find peace (even though, honestly, that would probably mean that he'd have to die and move on to his next life where he will be with Melissa's soul again).

This episode is the most beautiful episode of the entire series. It's perfect.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Tue 01 May 2012, 10:22

Full poem - "Paracelsus: Part I: paracelsus Aspires":
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Fri 04 May 2012, 10:35

Thanks for talking about the poem. It always makes me cry.

I also remember crying the very 1st time I saw this ep, on an usual part of the ep when Scully finds original pics of who is supposed to be Mulder and Melissa in past lives. The pic of Mulder look a lot like him and the music and everything and the realisation that it could all be true made me cry.

Duchovny does read it out well and I read he likes poetry and he writes poetry. I love his tone and sadness and the way he ends it.

The part of Mulder walking through that old door in the beginning scenes after the teaser is just amazing directing and cinematography. I remember adding that part towards the end of my "15 Years of Being An X Phile" vid I made.

The intense atmosphere of this ep is truly beautiful. Morgan and Wong could do things with these characters that no one would dream of and were able to pull it off. Carter should be ashamed of himself. He should have handed over the show to Morgan and Wong. What a thought!!

There's still some nice M/S ust in this ep too but the relationship and plot of Mulder and Melissa is too intense and over riding that it puts Scully where she should be with Mulder: a partner and loyal friend.

I find it so interesting when we get some glimpse into Mulder's past beyond his sister being abducted. His religion or his cultural background of perhaps being Jewish is very interesting and I wish they did more with that.
gorgclaud
Narc!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Fri 04 May 2012, 10:43

Damn this music....the music. It makes the hairs on my body ALL over stand up.

Then makes tears cup over my eyes...

I remember watching this one day after work. It was a strange day in March or something, a quiet and dull day and the weather at home was like in the episode. I was just in shock by it. Season 3 and the beginning eps of Season 4 were nothing compared to this. Morgan and Wongs eps of season 4 ruled my enjoyment of the season. Musings, Never Again and Home. Just completely over rode the whole season and what the show was capable of. This didn't happen again for me until The Unnatural, where the show just went over the line and I was so glad it did.
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Alive For Evermore: The Field Where I Died fanlisting

Post by Rey Solo on Thu 21 Jun 2012, 21:49

Come join the newly re-designed and approved fanlisting for "The Field Where I Died"!

What is a fanlisting?
A fanlisting is simply an online list of fans of a subject, such as a TV show, actor, or musician, that is created by an individual and open for fans from around the world to join. There are no costs, and the only requirements to join a fanlisting are your name and country. Fanlistings do not have to be large sites, they are just a place where you can sign up with other fans.
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Funk Mulder on Fri 22 Jun 2012, 18:59

So, like, is SOX already a fan listing? I must confess, I have no idea what's going on with this. :/
Funk Mulder
"PASS" - Love, Modell

http://www.hahajustkiddingidon'thaveasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Fri 22 Jun 2012, 20:52

SoX is just a website... this particular site is a fanlisting which fans can join and have their names listed as a fan. Its just a bunch of fun. This one is for episode "The Field Where I Died".
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 05:45

If I was to rewatch the whole series, this ep would rank very highly in my top ten.

It was on TV this morning, and I had a lump in my throat, holding back tears and chills down my spine on many moments. The 1st time I watched it I was almost put back by the drama and atmosphere of it...it was so lush, I wasn't expecting it. The second time I saw it, the moment that sealed some deals was when Scully finds the pictures of the Kavanagh's and the music that goes with it. The music is amazing the whole way through.

This is the show at its utter greatness...taking paranormal elements, affecting the characters we know and love and bringing in life changing events to them. In a paranormal way, its realistic and fantastic. This was how the show should have been...how the show was at its best when it made the fantastic realistic...

And not just that but they made the paranormal beautiful. Completely beautiful. A kind of sadness that makes you happy about life. Sad happy. The bittersweet beauty of love and life that makes you cry but makes you feel more intune with love and the world. This is Morgan & Wong..this is how they took the show. Its a crime its under-appreciated and how just because of Shipper mentality, this ep is considered bad. If they could just open their minds.

I adore the fact they try to make Mulder say that he believes they have always been friends together in different lives and would it change how they go about their relationship now. Its such a stark comment to them not trying to be in a romantic relationship. So much better and more powerful that way.

"I wanna end this pointless life."

"If it were true, no life would be pointless."
cry

Just simply beautiful. Reminds me of the line in One Breath between Mulder and Skinner:

"You put your life in danger."

"Agent Mulder, every life, every day is in danger. That's just life."

I ADORE IT.
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 14:21

I read in a magazine that I have, in an interview with Kristen Cloke, and she said that this episode was Glen's love letter to her. I'm going to have to see if I scanned the interview, or if I can find the magazine and type up her exact words.

TFWID is the most beautiful episodes TXF ever produced.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 14:59

I remember reading that too. So sweet. And like One Breath, he said the part where Scully's dad talks to her in a dream of some sort was what he would like to say to his daughter or something along those lines. I can't remember now. Morgan and Wong's writing is always from the heart.
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 22:52

TFWID
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue866 on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 00:49

I haven't read anyone's notes on this episode yet. I wanted to write unbiased as much as possible.

I voted a "2". I tried, I tried to see the good of this episode after all these years. I just. couldn't. believe.

There are two things working against me getting into this. One is after the whole "Aubrey" "Oubliette" thing where Mulder seemed to go off the deep end for some chick he didn't know. This seemed like one of those episodes. I HATE when Mulder behaves that way. I know that is just Mulder and that is his character. I appreciate that about the show. It's just the least enjoyable part for me, I think. Something about me, my past, or whatever I bring to the viewing makes me feel this way.

The second thing is that this episode is written for Kristen Cloke and while I don't think she was bad here, I just don't think it was very good or believable (though her regression sessions were WAY more believable than David's). I just think when they write for a guest star it's a bit... weird.

I know you guys love that actress and I'm won't be surprised if you boot me off the forum for not liking the episode or the actress... I do apologize but this episode does nothing for me.

I guess thirdly, I just thought the story was lame - the part about past lives. I thought the part about the cult was palpable, but all that sappy schmappy stuff about past lives in this episode didn't come through to me. I just didn't care.

I'll read everyone else's comments now. Hehe.

Last edited by Sue866 on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 14:19; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I fail to research past episode titles and mix them up!)
Sue866
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue866 on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 01:01

Ok after reading all the love here I know I'm going to be banned, aren't I?...

bigguns police

To save face a little, I do have to agree on one thing. Mulder/David looked incredibly beautiful in this episode.

Does that save me????? Hehehe.
Sue866
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:18

It is interesting you didn't see the special side of this ep, though because this ep is so on the edge, I can see how easily someone can miss the beauty of this ep. Cloke is quite hard to swallow sometimes, even if I feel she is a good actress, she was having to deal with some strange characters to portray. And I can see what you mean about someone writing FOR her.

I also know what you mean about Mulder getting really involved with a stranger but I think that it can be realistic, we can feel a connection to someone we don't even know sometimes. The thing is he FELT the connection, he felt sorry for her and he felt something when he walked through the door. So logically it would not make sense but emotions are never logical.

I think this ep might be a marmite ep - you either love it or hate it. You either really get it or you don't.

We still love you!! big hug
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:47

I think we all know where I stand on this one. Civil War stuff, past life regression, Kristen Cloke and Morgan & Wong! wub wub wub Best. Episode. Ever.
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue866 on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 14:07

gorgclaud wrote:It is interesting you didn't see the special side of this ep, though because this ep is so on the edge, I can see how easily someone can miss the beauty of this ep. Cloke is quite hard to swallow sometimes, even if I feel she is a good actress, she was having to deal with some strange characters to portray. And I can see what you mean about someone writing FOR her.

I also know what you mean about Mulder getting really involved with a stranger but I think that it can be realistic, we can feel a connection to someone we don't even know sometimes. The thing is he FELT the connection, he felt sorry for her and he felt something when he walked through the door. So logically it would not make sense but emotions are never logical.

I think this ep might be a marmite ep - you either love it or hate it. You either really get it or you don't.

We still love you!! big hug

Whewww... At least I can still sign in. Thanks for putting up with my mutiny. peace

I guess I just don't identify with the themes going on here in the episode.

I do agree that you can totally have a connection with a stranger. I even do believe in some form of past life/reincarnation/soul progression personally. I am not a poetry fan, in general, so I don't "feel" the poem. I actually thought it sounded a lot like the weird "no one really talks like this" stuff like they used when Mulder was pulled from the dead in the beginning of Season Three. Where his dad and Deep Throat speak to him in the stars. I don't know who wrote that but it's uncomfortable for me to listen to because it's too... wordy and unrealistic for real speakers. I get that there's an art of writing but my personal preference is to read something relatable rather than poetic or abstract.

I get the story they are trying to tell, it just didn't pull at my heart-strings.

I do have to admit, and this is brave of me to admit this here, but I am a bit miffed that while Scully has been connected to Mulder in some way or another, I didn't like that Mulder was connected to THAT woman when Scully really truly should be MORE of a connection than his past "Father" or other important but not important enough character. I just feel that, in the span of all the season, this is another "hit" or evidence that Mulder doesn't see Scully as important enough. For someone as dedicated and giving as Scully has been (and will be) Mulder treats her in subtle and not-so-subtle ways as someone to brush off.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't believe Mulder and Scully should be everlasting lovers and that is BECAUSE of Mulder's disregard for Scully. This is one of those episodes, to me, that shows Mulders laissez-faire attitude towards Scully. And it irks me. I just want to slap his handsome, masculine face and say "what about me????!!!!!" while I'm pretending I'm Scully.

This is one of those weird situations where I insert myself into Scully's shoes and what I'd say is, "that's enough, I've had it with playing second fiddle to every new semi-hot chick we investigate". And then I'd do what Scully does and go have sex with that hot guy after getting a tattoo. But I wouldn't go back to work with Mulder. Hehe.

Sue866
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 14:36

Hmmm, I never thought about TFWID as another ep that displays Mulder's disregard for Scully. It really is one of those eps, isn't it? You know, Scully really does tolerate being set on the back burner by Mulder. I mean, they're on this ATF case helping out, and suddenly Mulder feels a strong connection to one of Ephesian's wives and then it's suddenly ALL ABOUT MULDER AND NO ONE ELSE?!?!?! If I were Scully I'd smack him hard across the face too!

You know in "Never Again", Scully does take her stand against Mulder and defies him (kind of, she did end up looking into the case that he assigned her), I wonder if that was brought on by how Mulder makes her feel inferior to everything else in his life INSTEAD of just her not having her own desk in the office. I know there was more at play in her head that a desk in "Never Again", but you know... Glen and Jim really *got* these two characters and their true dynamic, and they weren't afraid to explore it and expose it for what it was/is.

And speaking of the opinion that Scully shouldn't have gone back to work with Mulder, I totally agree. I've thought for years now that after the episodes "Christmas Carol/Emily" that Scully should have 1) been able to adopt Emily (post-poning her death until later in the season), and 2) she would have left the FBI to raise her daughter, and 3) she got cured from cancer, you'd think she'd want to go out and live a life since she had been blessed with a second chance at living it. But no, in CC's mind Scully enslaves (probably not the best word, but I'm going with it) herself to Mulder and his life's quest. That's, IMO, just the way that CC views the role of women in life.

/season 5 rant in the Field Where I Died thread
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Tue 20 Nov 2012, 00:36

I'm kinda with Sue here. tomato For some different reasons though. I don't hate the episode at all (I gave it a 3), but there are some things about it that just don't work for me. I adore reincarnation stories, I've read up on it a lot and I love that Morgan and Wong work various parts of the lore into the episode instead of being plain and unimaginative about it. I like some of what Kristen Cloke does, but some of it is a bit over-the-top (forgivable, though, and she doesn't ruin the episode at any time). There are two things that do spoil it for me though, one not so bad, one pretty serious. The not-so-bad one is Mulder's hilariously bad regression. I just hate how David plays it, it makes me cringe. Definitely a low point for his acting on the show. I also hate the way it's filmed, the framing on Mulder's face is ill-advised and quite uncompromising, it provides no escape from his bad acting. That's a misstep from Bowman as director, and generally speaking, not the way I would film a scene unless I was dead-certain my actor could pull it off. Not good.
My pretty serious problem with this episode is the timeline inconsistency. I hate continuity errors, but sometimes I can let them slide for the sake of enjoying what I'm watching for its other qualities. This isn't one of those times. It bugs me that these past life regressions all just-so-happen to coincide with major events in world history, none of them are just ordinary everyday existences. The real problem though, is that these major events allow us to nail down the period of time in which these moments in these lives were supposedly taking place, and those don't make sense. I guess you could allow the WWII memories if the events took place in 1939 or early 1940, but it's cutting it pretty close to CSM's present-life. We have to assume that his past Nazi-self died soon after the events Mulder describes in his regression, so that he was able to be reborn as the CSM we all know and love (as a side note, I kinda hate that CSM is the Big Bad Guy in Mulder's past life, it feels a bit cliche). The big problem is Melissa's 'Sidney' persona, who is apparently a grown adult male during the presidency of Harry Truman (1945 to 1953). This is of course impossible if she was around in Mulder's WWII lifetime. Sidney could only have been a young child during Truman's presidency, and then he would have to die again in the 1960s in order to be reborn as Melissa. Sidney would never have made it to thirty within this timeline, which doesn't seem consistent with the personality of the character being put across (who appears older to me), and which is at any rate irrelevant since Melissa's life with Mulder in Poland and her life as Sidney cannot both be real. This just ruins the episode for me. It has its good qualities, yes, but it also has drawbacks, and the overall handling of the episode doesn't do it for me.
TheInvisibleMan
The Gun In Doggett's Pocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top