1x00 "The Pilot"

Go down

Rate This Episode - 1x00 "The Pilot"

1 - Shitty!

2 - Meh, not too good, but also not shitty

3 - It was ok, nothing too spectacular

4 - It was good :)

5 - Awesome Episode! OMG! I *LOVE* IT!!!

View results

1x00 "The Pilot"

Post by Cassiopeia on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 11:33

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Title: "The Pilot"
Written by: Dana Doggett & Little Albatross
Date:1999
Rating: PG

Summary: Mulder and Krycek run into each other after having not seen the other since college. Chaos ensues on an airplane in the premiere episode of "Fox & Rat".

Review By: Cerasi J.

“I've got cards, wanna play cards?”

In the very first episode of the ever-popular Fox and Rat Virtual Series Special Agents Mulder and Scully are on a flight home to Washington D.C. when they happen to discover they know the two people sitting next to them! We learn Marita and Scully used to be good friends and that Krycek is dead sexy. Throughout this highly entertaining installment of FRVS an annoyed Krycek and Marita are desperately trying to ignore the inept Fox Mulder who is constantly begging them to play cards and finally winds up shooting his partner! This is a wonderful beginning to a very interesting series!

* Is this your first time reading FRVS?
* What did you like and dislike about the pilot episode?
* Any other thoughts or opinions on this episode?

Last edited by Dana Doggett on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 17:27; edited 8 times in total
Cassiopeia
Clockblocker

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 1x00 "The Pilot"

Post by Cassiopeia on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 11:39

Yeah, I think I need to take the time to comment on how when Kristi (Little Albatross) and I first began writing FRVS, we were newbie fanfic authors, and newbie writers at that. I apologize for the lack of detail and dialog in the episode. I really do think that if we did a FRVS Special Edition and re-worked some of these episodes that even more insanity could ensue! I mean... FRVS Fox and Alex are on an airplane with a water gun! We did very little with that (for shame!)

Nope, I'm one of the two main writers who wrote almost every single episode of this series. I am looking forward to this re-read simply because I haven't revisited the series since 2009 (three years!) and I've forgotten a lot of what has happened in most of the episodes.

It was interesting that some of the characterizations in this episode did carry through the series. Mulder is a doof, and Krycek is "That's right, I'm damn sexy." I like that. I didn't like that the episode was short. I do think that if Kristi and I re-worked this episode today that much more detail and comedy would be added in. There's so much we can do with this equation: (Mulder + Krycek + water gun + fluffy bunny toy) x (airplane + Scully + Marita) = ???

As we go through this FRVS re-read (and if you ever decide to revisit this episode) you will notice that there are a few continuity errors in the episode having to do with how these characters know each other, of course back then we didn't really approach writing FRVS with any kind of story or character bible to lean on and use (that came into play around season 5). So, please forgive us our newbie writing skills, and I *PROMISE* you that our story telling does get better. I always worry about people starting FRVS for the first time and getting scared away because of our beginnings LOL
Cassiopeia
Clockblocker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue866 on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 21:27

Yes, very first time. I always wanted to read but never had the time. Poor excuse. I know! Shoot me. Er, with water. :P wink
I liked the style of a screenplay. The descriptions and sceen set-ups were perfect for viewing the actions in my head. I liked the unseriousness of the opening episode and the fact that we have a good idea of character's character even in this short 'sode. Mulder is a goofball!
* Any other thoughts or opinions on this episode?.
How can I get these episodes on my phone so I can keep up with the discussions? Will I be able to google search it? Or is there an over-arching site I can find all the seasons? Just wondering.

Fun!

Sue866
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 22:15

I've always wanted to read it without the obligation of writing new episodes for a new season LOL

The screenplay style we used because it was the easiest way to get the episodes written very quickly. Very often, as we were airing new FRVS episodes, Kristi and I would be behind our schedule and finishing episodes the night or day (or two) before they aired. With this screenplay style, it was less restricting in terms of proper grammar and punctuation smile

There is an over-arching site where you can find all the seasons: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Awhile back Kristi was reformatting all the episodes and uploading them in .doc files to a mailing list, but I'm not sure if she 1) did this with all the episodes and 2) if the mailing list is still online.
Cassiopeia
Clockblocker

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 23:10

Series Insight: This "The Pilot" episode is NOT the very first episode ever written of the FRVS series, the first episode written was 1x02 "Lucky Charms vs. Cheerios". We decided to write a pilot episode after completing a handful of "Fox & Rat" stories since they were so popular when we first shared them online with the Diana Fowley Haters Brigade mailing list members.

We thought since we were committing to creating an online series that we needed to have a pilot episode (all tv series have them and call them "Pilot" so we figured we had to as well). This likely explains why this episode "feels" different than the episodes that follow it, it introduces the characters, but the comedy isn't exactly as natural as the comedy in other episodes (this is solely my opinion of course).

Honestly, we probably could have just stuck "Lucky Charms vs. Cheerios" in as our pilot episode and left it at that (but then the lovely and funny 1x01 "The Race" wouldn't have been written and that one is one of my favorites).

Anyway, that's just a little insight to the pilot episode of FRVS. When I remember things like this I will make sure to comment about it and give y'all some insight to the series.

And if at any time you have any questions about the production/writing aspect of FRVS, feel free to ask (even it's as simple as "what the hell inspired that?!?!" - oftentimes our silly stories do have some background stories to go with them).
Cassiopeia
Clockblocker

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 02:06

Yessir. I was not even previously aware of exactly what FRVS was until Cassie hooked me in with her little piece over in the "Who would win in a thumb war?" thread. biggrin

It's nice and easy, it's quick and not at all taxing and that makes it accessible as an introduction to the story. I'm not gonna lie and pretend it's the best writing, but I find it easy to look past any minor flaws and just have fun with it, so there's no crippling issues. thumbsup

I sure do like that Krycek is so hot. krycek I look forward to delving deeper into the lives of Fox and the Rat!
TheInvisibleMan
The Gun In Doggett's Pocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 17:25

Yeah... that thumb war thing is more telling of how M&K interact in this series LOL

I'm so glad it's easy to look past writing flaws and just enjoy it and to have fun smile I always cringe (or wish I had started someone with season 5 instead of season 1) when I read that pilot episode LOL I'm just glad that the first four seasons are fairly quick to get through so that we can get into the juicier and more well-thought-out stories of the last half of FRVS!

I love that Krycek is hot and he knows it!
Cassiopeia
Clockblocker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum