4x07 "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man"

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How would you rate 4x07 "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man"?

1 = never should have been made

2 = mostly time wasting material

3 = fun, average, undemanding

4 = good episode, totally had fun watching it

5 = one of the best hours of TV you'll ever see

View results

Re: 4x07 "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man"

Post by KrycekMarita4ever on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 09:57

Little Albatross wrote:And here is that excerpt about the Christmas present from Krycek. I love the idea of this... like totally love it! wub

I wub csm and krycek

OMG Okay, I have to admit that I have never seen the script for this episode, and I was grinning ear to ear when I read that snippet. biggrin I adore that scene, and so wish that it would have been left in the final version of Musings. That would have added a lot not only to the scene, but also to both characters. I always felt like CSM was involved somehow as a mentor figure to Krycek, and this scene would have definitely helped cement that in my brain.
KrycekMarita4ever
Mulder's Orange Juice

http://www.strugholdminingco.info

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 10:15

KrycekMarita4ever wrote:Wow, love love love that video.
A video featuring both older and younger CSM...Yep, I'm a happy fangirl! csm cloud9
This is my new "go to" vid when I need my Musings fix wink
woohoo Woop woop! banana Thank you!
gorgclaud
Narc!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 10:20

Wow that script excerpt is very interesting! What a find!

It seems way too sentimental to come from Krycek but I love it just the same! I always found CSM and Krycek to be so interesting together and would have loved to have known more about their back story!

Is this the only thing that M&W wrote about Krycek or does my memory not serve me right? And it was cut. Poop.
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 17:04

I always loved the idea of CSM being a mentor like figure to Krycek. I think there may have been a deleted scene from Two Fathers/One Son with them, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

I got the script to this episode as a gift from Cassie (for either my birthday of Xmas, I can't remember LOL). smile
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 18:16

oooh if you find out about that One Son thing I would love to know more!

Best gift ever.
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:51

I'll check the script a little later.... but I was sure it was a deleted scene from season 6.... I'll have to check that out!
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:26

Best hour of television ever! wub
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:34

Yep
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue866 on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 23:32

I, too, gave this a 5. See? I love this too!! Hehe. Of course I have a huge soft spot in my heart for the CSM. This episode totally gives you so much information into his motives thus far. I totally agree with everyone's views posted so far.

I gather that CSM carries around that picture of Teena Mulder and Fox because he is or at least he believes he's Mulder's father. He has a soft spot not only for writing but for his son. Maybe even just a longing for a life like Bill's but I prefer the notion that he and Teena did mess around. Somehow I think he was more invested than she was and was jilted from the affair. This is supported by his interest in saving her from dying in "Herrenvolk". He didn't do it for Mulder as much as for himself.

I love the look into the deleted parts of the script. Some juicy stuff there. However, I am glad Frohike wasn't killed off. I do believe that would just heighten Mulder's aggression and CSM doesn't really want that anyway. Also, I like how they tied in that "not today" quote with his novels and also with how he's behaved thus far. He could have killed a lot of people a lot of times and hasn't. He's very calculating. He is not trigger-happy. He shouldn't kill because Frohike thinks he knows something about CSM. After all, the detail is from CSM's memory and not the re-telling by Frohike. And what would Scully do without the adoration of Frohike? hehe.

I love the insight into CSM personally choosing Scully to work with Mulder. Knowing she would be a great knowledge base to combat Mulder's theories and keep him in check. Maybe he thought he's offer Mulder a woman to get serious with, too? That'd possibly slow him down. But that didn't work if that was his intent... Blood (Samantha) is thicker than water (Scully.).

There is so much to say about this episode but I think you all have summed it all up well. I adore the back story and it just adds so much depth to the antagonists along with supporting characters we'd only got slight glimpses of (Teena, Bill, Deep Throat, etc.).
Sue866
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 03:04

I have to remember to watch that vid of yours Claudine, when I have more time than what I've got right now...

Definitely a five. Easily. This episode has become my go-to episode when I want a little X Files, if I'm not careful, it may become my favourite of the series (I'm hesitant to label it as such just yet, since I'm in a bit of a CSM frenzy right now, so anything with him is super-exciting to me at the moment). There really is so much about it which is absolutely perfect, and y'all have nailed much of that already. Carter can go to Hell, Musings is canon and if he doesn't like it, he can go F$@*! himself. Yeah, so there's a continuity error with CSM and Bill Mulder being depicted in Apocrypha as shadowy conspiracy agents back in the fifties, but if you take a second to think about it, THAT is the error, not the stuff from Musings. Bill Mulder's headstone says he was born in 1936, so he wasn't old enough to be a shadow agent in the fifties! Unfortunately, this means Travelers is a continuity error as well. But whatever. Point is, M&W had their thinking caps on when they wrote the backstory in Musings, whereas Carter is the one who doesn't seem capable of keeping track of the most basic aspects of his own story. And anyway, as has already been pointed out, Musings contains too much detailed information to be 'all speculation' on Frohike's part. We don't even necessarily hear Frohike speaking in between flashbacks (and CSM is not always wearing his headphones), so the denotation of the way the scenes are shot implies that we are seeing CSMs actual memories, not a mere representation of Frohike's story. (Quite plainly, as someone who studies film and television: if what we see is supposed to be Frohike's tale, not CSMs memory, then Wong made a SERIOUS blunder in directing. And since the directing of this episode is flawless and beautiful, I'm gonna stick with the theory that we're looking at Ciggy's memories biggrin ).
This episode is so ridiculously rich in detailed backstory, I could talk about it forever. I love every damn thing about it. I absolutely adore Chris Owens and what he brought to his performance as the young CSM (as well as what he brought to my darling Jeffrey Spender later in the series, but that's a conversation for another time), and then William B. Davis is a stroke of brilliance, always. John Doggett may be my favourite character on the show, but I consider the CSM absolutely the best. The character himself is a work of art, and we get so much less insight if we are robbed of this episode (so again, Carter can Go Directly To Hell without passing 'Go' or collecting $200). We see CSM as a real and complicated individual, someone with hopes and dreams, loves and passions. The cigarette smoking itself becomes a profound symbol in his life that reflects his own opinion of himself, it is in essence an act of self-punishment, a chastisement for his transgressions. William B. Davis revives this element himself later on in En Ami. Even in silence, there's an incredible amount of information flowing from the character when he's on screen, and it's coming from all angles - it's in the performance of the actor, the directing of the shot, the accompanying music, the context of the emotional landscape being laid out by the episode, viewed alongside the harsh static realities of the history that unfolds. I'm glad that CSM doesn't kill Frohike in the end, since I feel like that would undermine the depth of humanity we have just revealed in the character of CSM. And on the subject of why he doesn't kill him in the end, my own musing on the question was that there's a part of CSM that wants people to know - he bemoaned the fact that history would never know his name in the scene with Deep Throat, and then of course we know that he is ever thwarted as a writer in his attempts to share a part of himself with the world outside. He can't risk exposure, but I think he knew that he wasn't in danger from what Frohike had told, and he wanted to allow some knowledge of himself to exist out in the open air, even if no-one believed it to be true.
I will happily discuss this episode endlessly, but I've gotta finish up now. One last thing: I LOVE the fact that CSM has stolen Bill's photo of Teena and Fox! ARRGGGHH!!! So symbolic! I constructed an elaborate headcanon regarding the history of CSM and Teena (which I'm slowly turning into fanfic, for better or for worse...), I'm fascinated by character histories and this episode is by far the most important for that sort of thing. I truly believe that CSM loved his children, and the women in his life as well, but that ultimately he had given himself over to the cause, to the 'bigger picture', and he had to sacrifice his personal attachments for that. Let us not forget;

"Jack Colquitt sat alone in his apartment at Christmas. He believed in sacrifice. But some nights he longed for a second chance."

cry
TheInvisibleMan
The Gun In Doggett's Pocket

Back to top Go down

Post by TheInvisibleMan on Wed 17 Oct 2012, 10:08

gorgclaud wrote:My video on this ep for anyone who is interested or hasn't seen it before. It still remains to be one of my popular non DSR vids I have made. I always say its just 'cause the ep was perfect. One person told me when they saw this vid it was not like they were watching a fan vid, it was just seamless and like a small film set to music. Again, its just 'cause the ep was so well made.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Aaahh, Claudine, it's perfect! I needed that so much just now, I can't even explain how much my mood just improved as I watched. biggrin And to top it off, Foo Fighters! PERFECT PERFECT!!! You've just made my week!
big hug
TheInvisibleMan
The Gun In Doggett's Pocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top