4x07 "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man"

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How would you rate 4x07 "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man"?

1 = never should have been made

2 = mostly time wasting material

3 = fun, average, undemanding

4 = good episode, totally had fun watching it

5 = one of the best hours of TV you'll ever see

View results

Post by Rey Solo on Tue 01 May 2012, 09:06

Original Air Date: 17 November 1996
Written by: Glen Morgan
Directed by: James Wong

Frohike informs Mulder and Scully about the Cigarette Smoking Man's background. He was a young captain in the US Army recruited to assassinate President Kennedy and then became the mysterious man in a global conspiracy.

So episodes that are just awesome and take place in the past just make me all giddy, and "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man" is no exception. Simply put, I adore this episode! I love learning the Smoking Man's past... even if it is only speculated... the fact that he's even outside the office of the Magic Bullet (read it peeps, yes The Magic Bullet was the name of the publication, NOT the Lone Gunmen) with a gun trained on the door is telling that the story is true. I think what I adore the most is that Cancer Man just wanted to be a writer. I absolutely LOVE wub when he gets a call about being published... I can so see that being me if I ever were to get published for any of my writing and then totally getting screwed over. Poor Smokey. What I wish though is that they would've kept the Christmas gift from Krycek in there (the Trust No One lighter). It's in the script and I just think it's good characterization. So much was revealed in this episode... like Deep Throat's name. I just love this episode. I've also always been a sucker for the JFK assassination conspiracy, so this episode is like my number one favorite of the ENTIRE series! wub csm
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Re: 4x07 "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man"

Post by Cassiopeia on Tue 01 May 2012, 10:34

Another one that I can watch over and over again. I also think that a lot of the story that Frohike was telling Mulder in the episode was true about the CSM just because CSM knew enough of what Frohike was going to tell Mulder to want to be there with a rifle fixed on the door.

Perhaps he didn't kill him because of the source Frohike cited as his main source of information. The CSM loads his rifle and then Frohike states that he read it in one of his weekly subscriptions (and was off to see if a hacker could get anymore info), so maybe because Frohike said it came from an non-credible source, the CSM figured that Mulder wouldn't believe it.

But even then, the fact that off and on (IIRC) the CSM was wearing and not wearing the headphones to listen in also suggests that he was reminiscing about his past when we would go into the B&W flashback scenes - and those B&W scenes weren't just the story Frohike was telling, but rather it was the thoughts of the CSM.

What I love most about the CSM in this episode is that it shows us that he really is a patriotic man, who loves his country and the people who fight to make it a better place.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KrycekMarita4ever on Thu 28 Jun 2012, 08:11

I love love love love this episode...did I mention that I love it?

Just to get a glimpse into the background of CSM (one of the coolest characters on XF) was enough to make this ep one of my all time favourites! The brief looks into all the strings he's pulled, and all of the conspiracies he has been a part of through the years was brilliantly done.

And when he gets a call from the magazine that wants to publish his story - love that part. He has this cute little grin, a nervous chuckle - you can tell that it was a dream come true for him. It's weird to see CSM looking like an excited little school boy - too adorable! biggrin

Not to mention the soliloquy on the park bench about the box of chocolates!

This episode is an all around winner for me. The only thing that ever catches me off guard is the part at the beginning with CSM and Bill. It kind of throws me off that Bill says, "my son" said his first word rather than "Fox" said his first word. I was always under the impression that the two were friends already, so CSM would likely know Bill Mulder's son's name already...and how the heck does that fit in with CSM's relationship with Teena? Are they implying that she and CSM knew each other without Bill having met CSM first?

Little Albatross wrote:What I wish though is that they would've kept the Christmas gift from Krycek in there (the Trust No One lighter). It's in the script and I just think it's good characterization.

Wait, what?!! Okay, why did I not know this?? blink That would have been beyond awesome to have seen that gift exchange, in any form, during that episode! Even if just to get a little on screen Krycek time... drool

That officially goes on my "Musings of a CSM" wish list. smile Right alongside my wish that they would have shown a bit of Cassandra, young Jeffrey, and him at some point during the episode.
KrycekMarita4ever
Mulder's Orange Juice

http://www.strugholdminingco.info

Back to top Go down

Post by KrycekMarita4ever on Thu 28 Jun 2012, 08:21

Dana Doggett wrote: Perhaps he didn't kill him because of the source Frohike cited as his main source of information. The CSM loads his rifle and then Frohike states that he read it in one of his weekly subscriptions (and was off to see if a hacker could get anymore info), so maybe because Frohike said it came from an non-credible source, the CSM figured that Mulder wouldn't believe it.

I always wondered why CSM didn't fire on Frohike - could never figure that one out. Had a few random theories rolling around in my head, but your theory makes a whole lot more sense than any of mine did! smile I also can't help but wonder why CSM was there with the rifle trained on the door in the first place. Makes me wonder if CSM found out that Frohike would be telling some long lost truths about him or something.
KrycekMarita4ever
Mulder's Orange Juice

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Thu 28 Jun 2012, 17:07

It kills me that most XF fans say that everything we learned about the CSM in this episode was not fact about him. If that was the case why in the world would the CSM be there with a rifle ready to kill Frohike for leaking information about him? Also, why would it look like the CSM was reminiscing about his past as he listened to Frohike tell his story?

Both of those things point in the direction that the information Frohike shared with Mulder was fact, not fiction. Plus... how would Frohike know Deep Throat's real name? He wouldn't, that was all in the reminiscing that the CSM was doing at the time.

I love this episode. I think this is the ONE SINGULAR XF episode that will never have a moment that will make me roll my eyes, or piss me off wub It's perfect in every way.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by KrycekMarita4ever on Fri 29 Jun 2012, 07:43

Dana Doggett wrote: I love this episode. I think this is the ONE SINGULAR XF episode that will never have a moment that will make me roll my eyes, or piss me off wub It's perfect in every way.

Okay, that made me laugh, because it sounds like me. There are quite a few episodes where I find myself rolling my eyes or making little "Pffffttt...oh, come on!" noises from the sofa, but Musings definitely isn't one of them. Love this episode front to back! cloud9

Dana Doggett wrote:Plus... how would Frohike know Deep Throat's real name? He wouldn't, that was all in the reminiscing that the CSM was doing at the time.

Exactly! There were so many scenes with such vivid details that it just *has* to be CSM reminiscing about the past. If Frohike told that detailed a story, Mulder and Scully would have been in that basement listening to him for DAYS!
KrycekMarita4ever
Mulder's Orange Juice

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Fri 29 Jun 2012, 17:30

LOL I should really give some thought to what few episodes of TXF that I do NOT roll my eyes at or make 'pfffft' noises at - I bet I could count them on one or two hands LOL Musings is just the best (although I'm sure most other Morgan & Wong episodes are on my list of eps that don't make me roll my eyes, I love their episodes - all of them).

I think a lot of the popular opinion of fans and TPTB about Musings and it being just a story Frohike heard, and not the truth, comes from the fact that Carter maybe didn't want this to be the backstory of the CSM, not sure why because it's a great backstory, it adds so much to his character.

I will always stick to the idea that most of what we saw about the CSM in that episode is fact about him simply because of all those vivid details that the CSM reminisced about.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Sun 01 Jul 2012, 16:46

I'm going to settle the "is it CSM's backstory, or is it fiction" debate once and for all. Straight from the script:

smile csm wub

I adore his back story. It's so interesting and really is three dimensional.
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Sun 01 Jul 2012, 16:47

And here is that excerpt about the Christmas present from Krycek. I love the idea of this... like totally love it! wub

I wub csm and krycek
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Sun 01 Jul 2012, 16:54

And did Mulder's dad actually say his son? In the script he says "my one year old".... but I can't remember, it's been ages since I've watched this episode.

Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 04:47

KrycekMarita4ever wrote: The only thing that ever catches me off guard is the part at the beginning with CSM and Bill. It kind of throws me off that Bill says, "my son" said his first word rather than "Fox" said his first word. I was always under the impression that the two were friends already, so CSM would likely know Bill Mulder's son's name already...and how the heck does that fit in with CSM's relationship with Teena? Are they implying that she and CSM knew each other without Bill having met CSM first?

They have implied before (Talitha Cumi) that Bill, CSM, the kids and Teena shared time at the summer house and that they all hung out (Demons)...and if have a friend who has a wife, you most likely will know the wife. I think CSM met Teena through Bill. CSM is supposed to be Fox's father, so Teena had an affair with him and thats that. But Bill doesn't know this. I dont think anything can be read in the fact he says "my son" - I just think he chose to say that. Though I would say my sons' name rather than "my son" when talking about him, but maybe they wanted it to sound more old fashioned or more epic or they wanted to make sure Bill thought of Fox as his son.
gorgclaud
Narc!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 05:24

Right, Musings ....what can I say.

Firstly the directing of this ep is magnificent. There are good directors on the The X Files show, but this ep oooozes art on the camera. Particularly the scene when young CSM meets with the men who are telling him to kill Kennedy. The lighting, the panning and close up on CSM when he talks about his father, the smoke from the cigarette.

Then the music. Whenever I see this ep I am transported to the time I originally saw it. March 1997. The music just takes me back to what I was doing, who I knew and what I was wearing. Its so amazing, I cannot describe it. Its sinister, intriguing. The piano that rolls along like its looking for an end... the background keyboards that add the epicness and drama to the unfolding events.

The music when CSM stands outside Martin Luther Kings speech hall just makes you know that something big is gonna happen...but inside CSM is a person with feelings.

The music as the camera zooms up to CSM in the cinema and he takes his first cigarette sends chills down my spine. The music and the camera tells us this is a pivotal moment in CSM's life. This was the day and the moment he smoked and now we know where he got the cigarettes from, and why he smoked.

The music leads you along like a friend through the woods of the story, explaining it without saying words.

Then its the script. Morgan and Wong always like to make up back stories for interesting characters that need back story. Carter fails on this all the time. They did it with X and Skinner in One Breath. They knew CSM needed a whole ep and he did, if not more.

I think the whole thing of this being a "story" rather than fact about CSM was just a cop out by Carter or a compensation on Morgan and Wong's part. I think they wanted this to be the story but there were previous things about CSM written by other writers (Aprocrypha) that messed with this story. I also think someone was too scared to outright say that CSM was responsible for JFK and MLK's deaths.

The thing about why he chooses to not shoot Frohike in the end miffs me a little, knowing that Morgan and Wong wanted the ending to be that he does shoot him and Frohike dies. It was Carter who changed that and told them he didnt want Frohike to die (this coming from Carter?! Who kills off everyone he can!) But I also think CSM probably didnt really need to kill Frohike in all honesty but that would have changed a lot in terms of whether the story was true and how Mulder felt about CSM's role in the grand scheme of things and how many people have died due to the lies and The X Files unit and their relationship with Mulder.

The thing I adore about Morgan and Wong is they dont just give a back story, they give you reasons why people do what they do (which was one reason why we needed a Krycek ep like this). After they wrote Beyond The Sea to explain why Scully can't believe and her relationship with her dad, how he was or wasn't proud of her, how and why she rebelled and how she is living with that choice and how that choice affected her getting on well with her father, David Duchovny asked Morgan and Wong for them to write an episode like this for Mulder. They apparently came up with Little Green Men, though I suspect that was only part of a back story to why Mulder does what he does and feels the way he does (his talk about George Ellery Hale and the elves and how Mulder only has seen elves and has no proof but Scully says, quite rightly, that even if Hale only saw elves in his mind, the telescope still got built and how Mulder feels if he saw aliens, how the Samantha abduction happened).

They did the same in a brief way with Skinner in One Breath. They explained why Skinner believed in Mulder's work. They did the same in the same ep with X, they explained why he is so cold and course, how Deepthroats death will not be his fate too. He won't let it happen. He says to Mulder "I used to be you. I was where you are now." So we get some sort of back story there or idea that X was some sort of agent or crusader who looked into the lies, the conspiracies and maybe his partner or someone close to him got hurt for it and he was looking for answers. What happened to X ? what happened along the way? I get the sense they wanted to follow up on that.

And thats what this ep is and why it works. It explains to people what I still try to explain to the people in my life who like to say people are bad or nasty. I always say people do things for a reason. They react to something for a reason. They were brought up a certain way or saw something traumatic, or they are ill, or they are hurt or emotionally abused. I fail to believe people do bad acts for no reason. And there is a difference between doing a bad thing and being a bad person. This is what Morgan and Wong always explain. They give us reasons why Scully doesn't believe, they give us reasons why Mulder does believe, why he carries on, why X is helping Mulder, why Skinner believes in Mulder, why Mulder and Scully were good partners despite their differences. They are telling us there were trigger events in CSMs life that made him into the man he is now and the man we saw.

My favourite scenes in the whole ep are the "Extra Ordinary Men" conversations with young csm about killing JFK,the "what are we gonna do about Martin Luther King?" convo at the table in black and white, the "I would rather read the worst novel ever written than see the best movie ever made," and the scene with Deep Throat killing the alien (which ties up the back story they started in EBE about what Deep Throat told Mulder, which Mulder wasn't sure he could believe) - again back story on Deep Throat.

The whole thing about CSM believing he never killed anyone to me meant that he had actually killed people but he believed he was doing it for the right reasons. Every villain thinks they are doing right. He probably would not accept he killed them because of this. In his head, he was doing a job.

And my most fave scene is when he starts to recite the poem that Robert Kennedy is reciting on TV after MLK dies. It shows he is strangely sad about MLK's death, he feels the pain RFK does. But yet it was on his hands. The way the camera shows the Tv screen, the way it zooms in on CSM at his chair, after he gets a rejection letter, the music, it actually makes me cry.

And what I love about this ep, nowadays, is the way its a stab at Carter from Morgan and Wong - "This isn't the ending I wrote! It's all wrong!" and how funny that the ending of this ep was not the ending they wrote. They were always never on the same page as Carter, one step ahead but they didn't have the power to do anything about it. They wrote phenomenal pieces of TV, I think Carter was jealous. I truly believe this. And the whole thing about CSM being upset about his story not being published, then when it was published he was upset it was changed, just to me, is a like a fly on the wall spilling out what happened between Carter and Morgan and Wong.

And CSM when he is so happy that his story will be published and how he wasn't going to smoke and not be involved in conspiracies was so simple and he was so genuine and then his world falls apart, he is deceived, he is at war with the world again and what it does and how it conforms, how its not CSMs friend, so why should he do right and behave properly when he feels like he was wronged. Even the smallest things that mean the world to you can tip you over the edge into depression and hate and become corrupt and thats what happened to him in this ep and why does what he does.

No ep after this measures up to back in time eps (though I love Travellers) and nothing that CSM reveals later in other eps matches the genuine feelings they show us of him here. The Two Fathers stuff doesn't mesh with this.

Last edited by gorgclaud on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 09:44; edited 1 time in total
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 07:54

gorgclaud wrote:
KrycekMarita4ever wrote: The only thing that ever catches me off guard is the part at the beginning with CSM and Bill. It kind of throws me off that Bill says, "my son" said his first word rather than "Fox" said his first word. I was always under the impression that the two were friends already, so CSM would likely know Bill Mulder's son's name already...and how the heck does that fit in with CSM's relationship with Teena? Are they implying that she and CSM knew each other without Bill having met CSM first?

They have implied before (Talitha Cumi) that Bill, CSM, the kids and Teena shared time at the summer house and that they all hung out (Demons)...and if have a friend who has a wife, you most likely will know the wife. I think CSM met Teena through Bill. CSM is supposed to be Fox's father, so Teena had an affair with him and thats that. But Bill doesn't know this. I dont think anything can be read in the fact he says "my son" - I just think he chose to say that. Though I would say my sons' name rather than "my son" when talking about him, but maybe they wanted it to sound more old fashioned or more epic or they wanted to make sure Bill thought of Fox as his son.

..... or perhaps Bill knew about CSM and Teena's affair and by saying "my son" it was a way of assuring himself of something he suspected of his friend and wife but did not want to admit.
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 09:44

Little Albatross wrote:
gorgclaud wrote:

..... or perhaps Bill knew about CSM and Teena's affair and by saying "my son" it was a way of assuring himself of something he suspected of his friend and wife but did not want to admit.

Its possible but he was rather jolly about the whole thing and if he suspected it he would not have brought it up to CSM or bragged about Fox saying his first word or shown him a picture.

But that's just that scene. I think Bill suspected something from the way he was in Anasazi and also from Mulder's memories in Demon's when they were all arguing but that was just Mulder's memories.
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 09:59

And what a fabulous ep with NO Mulder and or Scully in it! Who would have thought it possible. I actually hadn't noticed this fact until they showed Scully in a flashback (which I think was an unnecessary add-on to please the viewers who can't cope without seeing Mulder or Scully) .

This ep proved to me that The X Files was what I imagined it to be - about the conspiraces, about the personalities of the ones involved, the atmosphere, the huge events that linked to The X files, not about Mulder and Scully. They were sometimes merely puppets who revealed the stories to us every week. I didn't miss Mulder or Scully AT ALL in this ep.

Morgan and Wong RULE. 'Nuff said.

I actually feel nowadays, perhaps in the last few years and since not really caring too much about The X files or remembering it in a negative way, I don't feel negative about the Morgan and Wong eps, so I think I am just a Morgan and Wong X Files fan sometimes!
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 11:14

from
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-- Other outside observers guessed that the whole episode was simply a clever plot to give the lead actors a week off. Wrong again. When Morgan and Wong returned to the X-Files in Season 4 (after their series Space: Above and Beyond was cancelled), they were contracted to write four episodes and already had ideas for all of them: "Home," "The Field Where I Died," "MOACSM," and a fourth that was ultimately scrapped and turned into "Never Again." They thought it would be interesting and challenging to do an episode without the series' stars, and were able to get approval to do so "when Chris was really busy and wasn't paying attention."

-- This episode contradicts the season 2 episode "Apocrypha" where young CSM was seen in the 1950's with Bill Mulder as already a shadowy agent and smoking. This episode has CSM still a young man and not part of the Syndicate in 1963, and he does not smoke yet. Morgan and Wong acknowledged in a magazine interview that they hadn't really paid much attention to the XF during Season 3 and said "Somebody should have told us!"

crackup

- Did Morgan and Wong consider "MOACSM" a success? Everything but the ending. "I wanted Cancer Man to kill Frohike," Morgan said, referring to the fact that the original draft had Cancer Man shoot and kill Frohike with a high-powered rifle to show how low and evil he really was. Chris Carter disagreed and had Morgan and Wong rewrite the final scene. As director, Wong filmed both endings and thought they could convince Carter to use the ending with the Frohike death after he saw it edited in. But in a conspiracy worthy of the show itself, when they got to post-production, the film roll with the alternate ending had mysteriously disappeared before they could even try to edit it into the final product.

What an arsehole!!!!
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 20:04

I was reading this big long, awesome, post but couldn't finish because I was going to be late for work! LOL

gorgclaud wrote:The thing I adore about Morgan and Wong is they dont just give a back story, they give you reasons why people do what they do (which was one reason why we needed a Krycek ep like this). After they wrote Beyond The Sea to explain why Scully can't believe and her relationship with her dad, how he was or wasn't proud of her, how and why she rebelled and how she is living with that choice and how that choice affected her getting on well with her father, David Duchovny asked Morgan and Wong for them to write an episode like this for Mulder. They apparently came up with Little Green Men, though I suspect that was only part of a back story to why Mulder does what he does and feels the way he does (his talk about George Ellery Hale and the elves and how Mulder only has seen elves and has no proof but Scully says, quite rightly, that even if Hale only saw elves in his mind, the telescope still got built and how Mulder feels if he saw aliens, how the Samantha abduction happened).

They did the same in a brief way with Skinner in One Breath. They explained why Skinner believed in Mulder's work. They did the same in the same ep with X, they explained why he is so cold and course, how Deepthroats death will not be his fate too. He won't let it happen. He says to Mulder "I used to be you. I was where you are now." So we get some sort of back story there or idea that X was some sort of agent or crusader who looked into the lies, the conspiracies and maybe his partner or someone close to him got hurt for it and he was looking for answers. What happened to X ? what happened along the way? I get the sense they wanted to follow up on that.

And thats what this ep is and why it works. It explains to people what I still try to explain to the people in my life who like to say people are bad or nasty. I always say people do things for a reason. They react to something for a reason. They were brought up a certain way or saw something traumatic, or they are ill, or they are hurt or emotionally abused. I fail to believe people do bad acts for no reason. And there is a difference between doing a bad thing and being a bad person. This is what Morgan and Wong always explain. They give us reasons why Scully doesn't believe, they give us reasons why Mulder does believe, why he carries on, why X is helping Mulder, why Skinner believes in Mulder, why Mulder and Scully were good partners despite their differences. They are telling us there were trigger events in CSMs life that made him into the man he is now and the man we saw.

These three paragraphs, Claudine, are just perfect. I love stories that are character driven. As a wannbe-writer myself, I find character so hard to write, but M&W do it seamlessly. Seriously Claudine, you should write. You have such a grasp on character development it's not even funny!

You're my hero for these three paragraphs. smile

And ah! Just your whole post is so perfect! I can't say more that can elaborate on it. I agree with it 10000000000000%! Musings is just perfect. Perfect!
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 20:07

gorgclaud wrote:
-- This episode contradicts the season 2 episode "Apocrypha" where young CSM was seen in the 1950's with Bill Mulder as already a shadowy agent and smoking. This episode has CSM still a young man and not part of the Syndicate in 1963, and he does not smoke yet. Morgan and Wong acknowledged in a magazine interview that they hadn't really paid much attention to the XF during Season 3 and said "Somebody should have told us!"

Uh...yeah... you would think on a series that was so acclaimed that they would have someone acknowledge that bit of information. Geez! What a shitty show in terms of continuity! rolleyes

gorgclaud wrote:
- Did Morgan and Wong consider "MOACSM" a success? Everything but the ending. "I wanted Cancer Man to kill Frohike," Morgan said, referring to the fact that the original draft had Cancer Man shoot and kill Frohike with a high-powered rifle to show how low and evil he really was. Chris Carter disagreed and had Morgan and Wong rewrite the final scene. As director, Wong filmed both endings and thought they could convince Carter to use the ending with the Frohike death after he saw it edited in. But in a conspiracy worthy of the show itself, when they got to post-production, the film roll with the alternate ending had mysteriously disappeared before they could even try to edit it into the final product.

What an arsehole!!!!

Why that no good, evil, son of a whore, piece of horse shit covered vomit dried stiff on the bottom of a New York taxi cab! I hate Carter!

Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Tue 03 Jul 2012, 07:39

Thank so much Little A!!! I wanted to be a writer when I was a teenager but never followed up on it. I used to write short stories too. I love writing. Thank you. So you get all my stuff here on SoX instead!!

I just love writing about things I love. To recognise what Morgan and Wong did with this show is to know the show properly in my opinion. Anyone who doesn't like M&W (most of them are hardcore MSR shippers), and I have spoken and met them, I do not understand. Let's remember the most memorable monster casual and fans of the show bring up the most: Tooms. And the way they took characters and gave them a heart, instead of being 2 D or just doing what was good for the plot or for the actors' schedules. They wrote people and stories properly like Carter could never dream of.

Can you believe how upset M&W must have been to find out the alternate ending got "lost" or "disappeared"? They clearly did not see eye to eye with Carter and aptly the title of their last script was "NEVER AGAIN". Damn right. Poor guys. And they can be so humble about their work on The X Files. When they were interviewed by the ones who have the Bring Back Frank Black website, I don't think they cared that much for their work on TXF nor did they know their impact and the way they moved it on. I just think they were not appreciated enough. I think the actors loved M&W (perhaps not always by William B Davis) but Duchovny and Anderson craved their scripts. Apparently this episode is one of their favourites.

I just shake my head at what M&W did for the show. The amazing eps they made.

I should just be glad that they managed to be allowed to do what they did and that this ep was like their masterpiece. I wish Wong won the Emmy for directing this ep because he deserved it. I guess the nomination is a nod. I am so glad there is one ep directed by him and it was this beautiful.

One Breath always makes me cry. So does this ep and they manage to write characters and have their emotions expressed enough to make the viewers feel for them. I felt for Mulder in One Breath, even when he was angry and cold sometimes. I felt for CSM when he got rejected, when he was alone.

They are phenomenal. Except for Blood! ahhahahahaa! I have no idea what happened there!

Last edited by gorgclaud on Tue 03 Jul 2012, 07:52; edited 2 times in total
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Tue 03 Jul 2012, 07:44

My video on this ep for anyone who is interested or hasn't seen it before. It still remains to be one of my popular non DSR vids I have made. I always say its just 'cause the ep was perfect. One person told me when they saw this vid it was not like they were watching a fan vid, it was just seamless and like a small film set to music. Again, its just 'cause the ep was so well made.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:19

I had not seen that video before! I love it!!! Perfect! wub csm
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:27

Oh wow! I didn't know you hadn't seen it before! Yay! thank you so much!
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rey Solo on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:56

I'm terrible when it comes to viewing videos... but this was something I couldn't resist! smile Excellent work!
Rey Solo
Talks To Self

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 11:23

Thank you!!!! biggrin
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by KrycekMarita4ever on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 08:57

Wow, love love love that video.
A video featuring both older and younger CSM...Yep, I'm a happy fangirl! csm cloud9
This is my new "go to" vid when I need my Musings fix wink
KrycekMarita4ever
Mulder's Orange Juice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top