D/S Professional or Romantic Partnership?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

If forced at gunpoint to choose which Doggett/Scully you like/love/prefer over the other, which would you choose?

Doggett/Scully Professional FBI Partnership

Doggett/Scully Romantic Partnership

View results

D/S Professional or Romantic Partnership?

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 7 Nov 2011 - 13:43

If forced at gunpoint to choose which Doggett/Scully you like/love/prefer over the other, which would you choose?

And by this choice I mean, your selected option would be THE CANON for them on the series, we're not talking fanfic here - cast your vote as to what you would have liked best for them on the actual series, if you had to have one or the other.

Cast your vote and explain yourselves! LOL

Last edited by Dana Doggett on Mon 7 Nov 2011 - 16:54; edited 1 time in total
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: D/S Professional or Romantic Partnership?

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 7 Nov 2011 - 14:59

I still haven't placed my vote, I didn't want to influence anyone else smile Although if you really know what I love most about D/S you probably already know what my vote will be...
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by providence26 on Tue 8 Nov 2011 - 6:33

my favourite ship is scully reyes so no doggett and scully romantic interest for me
providence26
Detective John Kresge

http://www.facebook.com/providence26

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Tue 8 Nov 2011 - 18:38

I went with professional partnership smile

A month or so ago, I made this post on Tumblr - and it made me realize that what I love most about Doggett/Scully is them working as a team together.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

>>>The perfect moment in “The X-Files” season 8 episode “Without” in which Doggett and Scully fall perfectly into synch with each other. This is the Doggett/Scully interaction that I love the most - them as FBI partners, backing each other up. As much as I love the idea of them becoming a romantic couple, I love this more.<<<

The romance stuff can stay in fanfic, if I'm going to see Doggett and Scully interact together again, I want it to be the classic season 8 investigative teamwork that made me fall in love with them in the first place.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 7:40

I instantly chose Professional partnership and that was before I saw any replies here.

I think I have said before that I love them as partners so much that I dont need a romance between them or find it necessary in a show like The X Files. Sure I would love a kiss or a cuddle but if i had to choose, defo them being partners. It gets me wild.

You see, their best stuff is them as partners cause they make exciting, firey and lovely partners. Look at them run in Invocation together, look at them fight their opinions in Invocation, look at Scully protecting Doggett in Without, look at him rescue her in Roadrunners, look at him with her in Badlaa when they chat about the case in the office. Nice partners. They might not always agree, but no one said they should.

DEFO partners. Its too cool!!
gorgclaud
Narc!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 12:41

Everything you mentioned about them in season 8 is magical. Doggett and Scully don't need romantic distraction to make them great wub As I said before, leave that all in the fanfic. If I'm going to see Doggett and Scully together again on screen I want it to be exactly as it was in season 8. I love them as FBI partners and eventual friends.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 12:53

Totally. It was far more beautiful and inspiring and mesmorising seeing them like that. And yes, I would leave the rest to gazes and fanvids and fanfic and be very happy.

The X files was about paranormal things, it just needed a solid partnership and D and S had that for sure.
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 13:40

gorgclaud wrote:Totally. It was far more beautiful and inspiring and mesmorising seeing them like that. And yes, I would leave the rest to gazes and fanvids and fanfic and be very happy.

The X files was about paranormal things, it just needed a solid partnership and D and S had that for sure.

I always wonder what more seasons of a Doggett/Scully FBI partnership would have been like. Season 8 was so great for that aspect alone, season 9 ruined it by having Scully leave the FBI to teach. Doggett/Scully as partners was so solid. They argued with passionate view points, they stood their ground against one another while being respectful, they worked hard to earn each other's respect. I love that about them. I would kill for nine years of a Doggett/Scully FBI partnership. Just watching them do their job together is the main thing I love about them wub
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 14:18

Totally. They argued in a realistic way about things. It couldnt have been more perfect. I think Invocation completely and utterly embodies D/S as partners at their best. Completely.

I wouldnt even mind if Scully quit the FBI and did teaching and Doggett visited her for help. Its like the beginning of Season 2 with Mulder and i always liked that. But I would want Scully to go back to being his partner eventually.

Also, I think Scully bringing up a boy, her child, with Doggett around would have called for some deep and moving moments of conversation from Doggett about boys and being a parent.

The writers missed out on a lot of opportunity.
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by providence26 on Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 7:08

Doggett always struck me as a very loyal guy, so I never really saw him getting over his wife enough to start another relationship
providence26
Detective John Kresge

http://www.facebook.com/providence26

Back to top Go down

Post by ZoeG on Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 18:24

I chose their FBI relationship because we rarely, rarely get to see professional men and women on TV working as equal colleagues. I loved that they weren't portrayed as intellectually (or status-wise) inferior to one another. It was a respectful partnership and I loved their chemistry.
ZoeG
Quiet Willy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 23:56

gorgclaud wrote:Totally. They argued in a realistic way about things. It couldnt have been more perfect. I think Invocation completely and utterly embodies D/S as partners at their best. Completely.

I wouldnt even mind if Scully quit the FBI and did teaching and Doggett visited her for help. Its like the beginning of Season 2 with Mulder and i always liked that. But I would want Scully to go back to being his partner eventually.

Also, I think Scully bringing up a boy, her child, with Doggett around would have called for some deep and moving moments of conversation from Doggett about boys and being a parent.

The writers missed out on a lot of opportunity

Absolutely. That is an excellent point, and one that I'm sure would have gone right over Chris Carter's head.
Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by jsabat28 on Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 22:45

*Sigh* I guess I'm in the minority then...

While I did enjoy the partnership and the reasons that have already been mentioned, there was that part of me that wished that, as with the Mulder/Scully, that there were even clues that they were also seeing each other out of the office....
jsabat28
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 13:59

Yeah, I love the clues that John and Dana were spending time together out of the office too (that is where there's just enough suggested that the D/S partnership, given enough time, could have developed into a romantic relationship).
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by Veiled Vesta on Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 3:09

jsabat28 wrote:*Sigh* I guess I'm in the minority then...

While I did enjoy the partnership and the reasons that have already been mentioned, there was that part of me that wished that, as with the Mulder/Scully, that there were even clues that they were also seeing each other out of the office....

I'll join your minority! Because I'm anything if not a moony-eyed romantic. Oh Gawd, I feel so dumb saying such a thing but this whole gun to my head thing has taken my first choice which would've been a perfect blend of professional relationship leading into something romantic. I hate making decisions and often like to find some combination or middle ground but I weighed it out and we got to see them as professionals so I would've loved to see how they played romantic. We know Doggett has it in him; he was married with a kid for goodness sake.

But actually, I like to think that they could've met earlier on in their life and make the romantic option not only viable but totally organic and doable. And when I say early, I mean really early. Season 1 early when Scully was looking for a normal love life and she went on that date with that divorced dad. I think Doggett and Scully are so similar that they would've really clicked and given MSR a run for it's money in terms of UST evolving into RST. I can picture an alternate universe where, on one of her X-File cases in New York, she'd meet the no-nonsense cop, John Doggett (I looked it up and he was a cop back in '92.) There would be some banter and maybe a bit of headbutting (more on Mulder's part than Scully). It would be a bit reminiscent of the recent episode of CSI I saw with Catherine's interactions with the FBI guy but it wouldn't end so lousy. (BTW, Annabeth Gish was in that episode! Fun coincidence!) So after initial mistrust, they'd warm up to each other via skepticism and kudos on them doing good work; their work is their pride. Somehow Doggett's marine past would come up and since Scully is a Navy brat that's another point of commonality and interest. (Unless the marines and navy have a rivalry; I'm not well versed on the different armed forces and how they view each other.)

In any case, they'd bond and smile all amused and depending on when Doggett got married, there could be some romantic tension on his end and some disappointment that once again another good one is taken on Scully's end. But they'd keep in touch or maybe run into each other on another east coast case because fate is funny like that (hell, they could both be off duty on vacation; extra UST!) They'd set up a rapport by this time and maybe she'd call him for some marine/ship expertise on a later case and despite his initial disbelief and reluctance, he'd call in Scully for some expertise on the weirder cases (but not before testing the waters with some run-of-the-mill medical second opinion). It would be long and lingering but this early version of Doggett and Scully, despite not working partnerly, would most definitely work romantically. Mulder would probably have some passive-aggressive jealousy fits but in the end he knows Scully wants to be happy and normal and that's something John Doggett can provide.

Dear God I want this A/U fic to exist so bad. Curse you plot bunnies and off-topic thoughts!
Veiled Vesta
Quiet Willy

http://cloakedhestia.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 6:02

Write it! Write it! Make it a novel or something! I love this idea, I need this fic to happen wub Great ideas! OMGosh!

I'm not sure when Doggett got married, but it had to be before 1986 because that's when Luke was born, and in the script for "Release" Barbara tells Scully that she and John "married young" - I interpret that as Barbara got pregnant and John did the honorable thing and married her. In the script when Barbara says this I got the feeling that perhaps this is one reason in Barbara's mind WHY she and John didn't work, and perhaps the marriage was already in trouble when Luke was kidnapped.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by jsabat28 on Sat 10 Dec 2011 - 2:05

Veiled Vesta wrote:
jsabat28 wrote:*Sigh* I guess I'm in the minority then...

I'll join your minority! Because I'm anything if not a moony-eyed romantic. Oh Gawd, I feel so dumb saying such a thing but this whole gun to my head thing has taken my first choice which would've been a perfect blend of professional relationship leading into something romantic. I hate making decisions and often like to find some combination or middle ground but I weighed it out and we got to see them as professionals so I would've loved to see how they played romantic. We know Doggett has it in him; he was married with a kid for goodness sake.

But actually, I like to think that they could've met earlier on in their life and make the romantic option not only viable but totally organic and doable. And when I say early, I mean really early. Season 1 early when Scully was looking for a normal love life and she went on that date with that divorced dad. I think Doggett and Scully are so similar that they would've really clicked and given MSR a run for it's money in terms of UST evolving into RST. I can picture an alternate universe where, on one of her X-File cases in New York, she'd meet the no-nonsense cop, John Doggett (I looked it up and he was a cop back in '92.) There would be some banter and maybe a bit of headbutting (more on Mulder's part than Scully). It would be a bit reminiscent of the recent episode of CSI I saw with Catherine's interactions with the FBI guy but it wouldn't end so lousy. (BTW, Annabeth Gish was in that episode! Fun coincidence!) So after initial mistrust, they'd warm up to each other via skepticism and kudos on them doing good work; their work is their pride. Somehow Doggett's marine past would come up and since Scully is a Navy brat that's another point of commonality and interest. (Unless the marines and navy have a rivalry; I'm not well versed on the different armed forces and how they view each other.)

In any case, they'd bond and smile all amused and depending on when Doggett got married, there could be some romantic tension on his end and some disappointment that once again another good one is taken on Scully's end. But they'd keep in touch or maybe run into each other on another east coast case because fate is funny like that (hell, they could both be off duty on vacation; extra UST!) They'd set up a rapport by this time and maybe she'd call him for some marine/ship expertise on a later case and despite his initial disbelief and reluctance, he'd call in Scully for some expertise on the weirder cases (but not before testing the waters with some run-of-the-mill medical second opinion). It would be long and lingering but this early version of Doggett and Scully, despite not working partnerly, would most definitely work romantically. Mulder would probably have some passive-aggressive jealousy fits but in the end he knows Scully wants to be happy and normal and that's something John Doggett can provide.

Dear God I want this A/U fic to exist so bad. Curse you plot bunnies and off-topic thoughts!

It's funny that you should mention the AU meeting of Scully and Doggett in season 1.... Lol. That's like my big project: Writing DSRs from season 1 to 9....
jsabat28
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Veiled Vesta on Sat 10 Dec 2011 - 15:26

Dana Doggett wrote:
I'm not sure when Doggett got married, but it had to be before 1986 because that's when Luke was born, and in the script for "Release" Barbara tells Scully that she and John "married young" - I interpret that as Barbara got pregnant and John did the honorable thing and married her. In the script when Barbara says this I got the feeling that perhaps this is one reason in Barbara's mind WHY she and John didn't work, and perhaps the marriage was already in trouble when Luke was kidnapped.

Oh, that's good to know. When did Luke die? Maybe he and Barbara were already distant around the 1990s (I'll settle for mid-90s if only for the drama and having this A/U Doggett and Scully as friends). Maybe the death of their son was the straw that broke the camel's back? (And after they divorced Doggett is not ready for a relationship... maybe throw in some Reyes for conflict and see what happens. devious Mostly to get Scully to open her skeptic eyes because we all know even when it comes to relationships and love, she's all reserved and skeptic.)

jsabat28 wrote:
It's funny that you should mention the AU meeting of Scully and Doggett in season 1.... Lol. That's like my big project: Writing DSRs from season 1 to 9....

Ooh, I volunteer you to do this for me, then! It'll please me and Cassie! Actually, how long have you been planning/writing the project? Maybe I'll still give it a shot anyway; no reason there can't be two AU stories. Or maybe we can do some kind of collaboration! Get a 'verse going! (I could make artwork for it; the T1000 in his cop uniform is perfect for NYC officer Doggett!)
Veiled Vesta
Quiet Willy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Mon 12 Dec 2011 - 12:09

Veiled Vesta wrote:Oh, that's good to know. When did Luke die? Maybe he and Barbara were already distant around the 1990s (I'll settle for mid-90s if only for the drama and having this A/U Doggett and Scully as friends). Maybe the death of their son was the straw that broke the camel's back? (And after they divorced Doggett is not ready for a relationship... maybe throw in some Reyes for conflict and see what happens. devious Mostly to get Scully to open her skeptic eyes because we all know even when it comes to relationships and love, she's all reserved and skeptic.)

Season 8 gives different dates for Luke's birth and death than season 9 gives, but because season 9's "Release" brought closure to the story, I always go with the dates given in that episode:

Birth Date = January 6, 1986
Date of Last Contact = August 13, 1993

More about Luke available on this page:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Doggett joined the FBI Academy in 1993, and it takes 2 years to go through courses at the Academy, so he would have his first FBI assignment around 1995. I think it is plausible that Scully could have been an instructor of his while he was at Quantico, and would have been in the FBI also when Scully was there. I just don't remember exactly what years Scully taught - for sure 1992, but then what year was it when the XF were shut down and she returned to teaching in season 2?

Ooh, I volunteer you to do this for me, then! It'll please me and Cassie! Actually, how long have you been planning/writing the project? Maybe I'll still give it a shot anyway; no reason there can't be two AU stories. Or maybe we can do some kind of collaboration! Get a 'verse going! (I could make artwork for it; the T1000 in his cop uniform is perfect for NYC officer Doggett!)

Word! peace

I'm actually working on rewriting seasons 8 and 9 and then going to go off of my rewrite into 2012 smile I just need to have the time to really, REALLY work on that story. My prologue is almost done, as is chapter one smile
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by jsabat28 on Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 1:52

Veiled Vesta,

Please don't let me discourage you from writing your own version of events...you know what they say about the more the merrier. *hugs*

Cassie,

Looking forward to whatever you contribute. cheer
jsabat28
Arm Love

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Wed 1 Feb 2012 - 10:06

Veiled Vesta wrote:

You have some power to overcome me with how you explain yourself to make me agree with you! I went for professional, I guess cause it was cool, it had chance of ruining anything and it was more intune with the show, but lordy lordy - I would really have liked to have seen them romantically involved. Man, it would have been so hot and ideal.

I make vids so much suggesting this and the whole idea excites me. To me, they are completely perfect and ideal as lovers.
Veiled Vesta wrote:
I like to think that they could've met earlier on in their life and make the romantic option not only viable but totally organic and doable. And when I say early, I mean really early. Season 1 early when Scully was looking for a normal love life and she went on that date with that divorced dad. I think Doggett and Scully are so similar that they would've really clicked and given MSR a run for it's money in terms of UST evolving into RST. I can picture an alternate universe where, on one of her X-File cases in New York, she'd meet the no-nonsense cop, John Doggett (I looked it up and he was a cop back in '92.) There would be some banter and maybe a bit of headbutting (more on Mulder's part than Scully)..........Somehow Doggett's marine past would come up and since Scully is a Navy brat that's another point of commonality and interest.

I agree. I have always wondered how it would have been if Doggett was brought into the show earlier and Scully met him. She seemed more sociable then, she seemed to be looking for a husband (Jersey Devil) and Doggett would have been ideal. Oh wow, this excites me just imagining it!!

I wanted to make a vid of RP from Zero Tolerance (film) and mix it with season 1 scenes of Scully to make this imagination more real. But I could never get Zero T to import to the Movie Maker for some annoying technical reason I couldnt get past. Though I did make a real funny tongue in cheek title sequence vid using some clips of Zero Tolerance I got from somewhere else, mixed it with Scully scenes to make out it was a show called "Doggett & Scully: The Early Years" but never released it cause it was kinda silly!

Veiled Vesta wrote:

But they'd keep in touch or maybe run into each other on another east coast case because fate is funny like that .......and despite his initial disbelief and reluctance, he'd call in Scully for some expertise on the weirder cases (but not before testing the waters with some run-of-the-mill medical second opinion).

It would be long and lingering but this early version of Doggett and Scully, despite not working partnerly, would most definitely work romantically. Mulder would probably have some passive-aggressive jealousy fits but in the end he knows Scully wants to be happy and normal and that's something John Doggett can provide.

woohoo I love all of thissssss!!!! cheer
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Wed 1 Feb 2012 - 10:09

Dana Doggett wrote:
Doggett joined the FBI Academy in 1993, and it takes 2 years to go through courses at the Academy, so he would have his first FBI assignment around 1995. I think it is plausible that Scully could have been an instructor of his while he was at Quantico, and would have been in the FBI also when Scully was there. I just don't remember exactly what years Scully taught - for sure 1992, but then what year was it when the XF were shut down and she returned to teaching in season 2?

Surely season 2 was set around 1994, she was abducted around, what, November of 1994?
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Veiled Vesta on Tue 14 Feb 2012 - 22:50

Thanks for all the extra info on dates and details that I just would not have known otherwise, Cassie and Claudine. thumbsup When I write stuff, even if it's A/U I try to keep it close to the source material where applicable and I just don't have the memory for Luke's birthday or when Scully taught at Quantico. (Even if the dates don't cross for her to have been his teacher, I'm sure I can make it so she offers him advice as a former instructor. Maybe have her do some "tutoring". Or is that too high school juvenile for the FBI. )

P.S: That 'Zero Tolerance' movie idea has me really curious about your video, Cassie. If I can find the video, I wonder if maybe it would be alright to try and do your concept of the video? Though it may take a while, I'm feeling particularly romantic on this commercial day for lovers (I've actually started the A/U fanfic a few weeks back but stopped due to writers block. I may as well pick up and work on it some more today. )
Veiled Vesta
Quiet Willy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Wed 15 Feb 2012 - 11:09

It is possible, I think, that Scully could have been his instructor when she was sent back to teaching at Quantico after season 1 (1995, which IIRC was a year that Doggett was at the FBI Academy in Quantico). I have no idea if tutoring is in the FBI Academy. I wouldn't even know where to try to look up that information LOL

Cassiopeia
Browncoat

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Thu 16 Feb 2012 - 14:13

I tried a really crappy alternative titles sequence vid for Doggett and Scully (and called it Doggett and Scully: The Early Adventures) using Season 1, 8 of Scully and Season 8 and Zero Tolerance of Robert Patrick! I could only get certain ZT scenes into my Movie Maker. I never released the vid cause I couldnt get the vid to be how I wanted it to be cause I couldnt use the ZT scenes I wanted.

If you wanna do a ZT / Xfiles crossover vid I would adore that!!!
gorgclaud
Narc!

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top