Doctor Who (The New Series)

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Doctor Who (The New Series)

Post by gorgclaud on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:56 am

I've gone absolutely mental for the series 5 of Doctor Who, with a new Doctor, an eleventh Dr, Matt Smith as the Doctor, Karen Gillan, his companion, called Amy...

Now on Series 6, 13 episodes have been shown in 2 parts, the 1st 6 were shown in the Spring and now, today we get the next 6!!

This show is massively exciting. The actors are ALL FAB, the production, the Sci Fi, the stories, the UST, the on going storylines in each ep. I cant keep my eyes off it when its on. It helps my sons love it too! MASSIVE family night for us every Saturday!!!

ok!!! I cannot hold my excitement!!! banana banana banana banana woohoo woohoo woohoo chicken dance chicken dance cheer2 cheer2

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by gorgclaud on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:41 am; edited 2 times in total

You Tube:  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

http://doggmaticproductions.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Doctor Who (The New Series)

Post by Tarathemis on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:56 am

I cannot WAIT to see the newest episodes!! We don't get BBC America, so I often go to a friend's house who has it and digitally records the episode. (He's out of town right now, so I have to wait.)

I am loving Matt Smith as the Doctor. While I was a big David Tennant fan, I also had confidence in the show's producers to cast someone after him who would be able to appropriately carry the show and make the Doctor his own. Matt Smith has really established himself, and is carrying on the tradition of the Doctor QUITE nicely. cheer

Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:06 am

P.S.: I've been a Who fan since the early 1980's near the end of Tom Baker's run (I discovered the show on our local public TV station), and it still irritates me that every single time the role is re-cast, a certain segment of Who fandom goes NUTS, decrying the new actor, predicting doomsday for the show, blah, blah, blah. I saw it when Peter Davison was cast, and it continued on for Matt Smith. One of the elements of Doctor WHo that I think is brilliant is the built-in plot device that allows for re-casting whenever it is necessary. While I may miss certain actors when they leave, I also get really excited about the possibilities of the new actor taking on the role. Why some in Who fandom still can't embrace this aspect of the show after all these years is quite beyond me.

Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:09 am

WOO HOO! YOU ARE AWESOME!

The fact you have to watch it round a friends house reminds me of when I used to watch Season 2 X Files episodes at my mates house cause she had Sky TV. Ahh, the desperation!

I hope you get to see the newest stuff soon. Have you watch the 1st half of season 6?

Im so glad theres another Who fan, I find it really hard to find any I can talk to, because, like you stated above, theres so many fans that just cant seem to adjust to the fact that Tennant left and Matt Smith is the Doctor. Its kinda like Doggett and Mulder, its just constant moaning about the fact, no matter how much time has passed on the subject.

I personally feel Matt is doing a FANTASTIC job, and thinking of him leaving for a new one is unimaginable to me right now, cause I am massively in love with him, but I do accept that its part of the show and the character to change form when needs be. Its such an excellent idea.

I only started watching the show in seies 5, in 2010, so I am new to it, but I do try to watch some old eps when they are repeated and then I read the magazines about it when I can, to catch up on Who facts.

Im really glad I found someone, who isnt a teenager, that loves Matt Smith as the Doctor too. He mesmorizes me on the screen. I also have to say, I love what Stephen Moffatt is doing with the look and direction of the show, and thats another sticky subject with long time fans, who dont really like the way he has changed it. So I dont have any Who friends cry

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:13 am

I thought, as there might be some small interest here, and I havent established myself as a Who Vidder yet (theres LOADS! - DSR vids are rare, so Im used to my vidding popularity with that!), I'll share the vids I made for the series. I am still really not used to vidding this TV show, so a lot of my beginner vids on it are simply practice. I am saving one now that is the kind of vid I have been hoping to make for a long time!

So here is my 1st real vid (the others were an Xmas vid and a practice vid) This is my 1st real one I think.

I also have a You Tube channel for DR WHO vids, to seperate me from the X Files fans and to not have FOX copyright X Files probs mess up any Dr Who vids, I have a different channel called "DoctorDoggmatic"

Last edited by gorgclaud on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:14 am

My second real vid, just a tribute to the 11th Doctor.

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:48 pm

I should apologise to my husband for ignoring him so much last night whilst making it. I thought I saved it right earlier today but looked at it and things were wrong - God I hate the perfectionist in me!! Anyways, finally making Dr Who Vids like I want to now!!

Amy remembers the Doctor's fate and her memories with him.

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:28 pm

gorgclaud wrote:WOO HOO! YOU ARE AWESOME!

The fact you have to watch it round a friends house reminds me of when I used to watch Season 2 X Files episodes at my mates house cause she had Sky TV. Ahh, the desperation!

I hope you get to see the newest stuff soon. Have you watch the 1st half of season 6?

Im so glad theres another Who fan, I find it really hard to find any I can talk to, because, like you stated above, theres so many fans that just cant seem to adjust to the fact that Tennant left and Matt Smith is the Doctor. Its kinda like Doggett and Mulder, its just constant moaning about the fact, no matter how much time has passed on the subject.

I personally feel Matt is doing a FANTASTIC job, and thinking of him leaving for a new one is unimaginable to me right now, cause I am massively in love with him, but I do accept that its part of the show and the character to change form when needs be. Its such an excellent idea.

I only started watching the show in seies 5, in 2010, so I am new to it, but I do try to watch some old eps when they are repeated and then I read the magazines about it when I can, to catch up on Who facts.

Im really glad I found someone, who isnt a teenager, that loves Matt Smith as the Doctor too. He mesmorizes me on the screen. I also have to say, I love what Stephen Moffatt is doing with the look and direction of the show, and thats another sticky subject with long time fans, who dont really like the way he has changed it. So I dont have any Who friends cry

It's really interesting to see Doctor Who get a whole new life since being revived in 2005. To be honest, while I had always hoped they'd bring it back, I'd pretty much given up on the idea by around 2000. It had been off the air for SIXTEEN years, so it seemed somewhat futile. It was maddening, really; no other show had --- in my opinion --- such a perfect premise, one that allowed the writers to do pretty much anything they wanted. (Any time, place, or setting, and the ability to change lead actors as needed --- how much more flexibility and creative license could a writer and producer want?)

I had been very heavily involved in Who fandom back in the '80's and early '90's, but fell out of it when I moved from Los Angeles to Phoenix in 1996. (I met my very best friend through a Doctor Who fan club in L.A. in 1986.) Many of the fans back then were extremely opinionated about every aspect of the show imaginable; it was often hard to have a lively or civilized discussion because if you had an unpopular opinion, you were just plain WRONG. Times have certainly changed for Doctor Who, and I really feel that the new incarnation (Series 1 - the current) are far superior in every aspect than the old version (Hartnell through McCoy/ McGann), while being very respectful of the show's heritage and original spirit. I applaud Moffatt for what he's doing --- the show needs to stay fresh and interesting, while also reflecting the current social mood.

I haven't seen as much of series 6 as I would like, but am working on getting caught up. I think what I appreciate most about Matt Smith's portrayal is the contrast of his youthful appearance (the youngest actor ever to have the part) with his sense of weariness; you can see the hundreds of years of his experiences, both good and bad, written in his face. So many people pissed and moaned about how young Matt Smith was when his casting was announced, claiming that the show would like like "High School Musical" or some crap like that. It was ridiculous. I had no quibble with the Matt Smith's age, as I had been a big Peter Davison fan back in the day. (His youthful look was quite a departure from the first four actors.) I personally think the combination of the youthful outward appearance works perfectly: the Doctor can be so childlike, and yet wise, with a dose of anger about the horrors he has seen as well as wide-eyed wonder at the amazing universe before him. He is a tragically lonely figure to me, and that makes his relationships with the humans around him all the more heart-breaking.

I think some fans just hate change of any kind. When Series One launched, some fans didn't like certain things they'd done with the show, and there was bitching about that. Then Chris Eccleston left, more bitching; when Tennant left, MAJOR bitching ("I'll never watch again!!" blah, blah, blah)...... I swear, why do people get invested in a show if they're going to be so rigid about it? Grrrr.

So, yes, I am definitely not a teenager anymore (thank goodness), but love the show with a geeky passion, so I am glad to discuss it with you. smile

Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:30 pm

Your Matt Smith vids, by the way, are wonderful! I am always a sucker for Time Lord angst. Lovely work!!

Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:05 am

Tarathemis wrote:

It's really interesting to see Doctor Who get a whole new life since being revived in 2005. To be honest, while I had always hoped they'd bring it back, I'd pretty much given up on the idea by around 2000. It had been off the air for SIXTEEN years, so it seemed somewhat futile. It was maddening, really; no other show had --- in my opinion --- such a perfect premise, one that allowed the writers to do pretty much anything they wanted. (Any time, place, or setting, and the ability to change lead actors as needed --- how much more flexibility and creative license could a writer and producer want?)

Isnt it just perfect!!? I know!!! You can change the actor when he wants to leave or the actor passes away or whatever, you can revive it, you can set it any where, any time (unlike Quantum Leap, in which Sam Beckett could only travel in his own lifetime) , have him take along friends, new ones, companions, rewrite time, have the characters meet all sorts of aliens, monsters and do whatever the mind allows! ITS FAB.

Tarathemis wrote:

I had been very heavily involved in Who fandom back in the '80's and early '90's, but fell out of it when I moved from Los Angeles to Phoenix in 1996. (I met my very best friend through a Doctor Who fan club in L.A. in 1986.)

How sweet!!

Tarathemis wrote:
Many of the fans back then were extremely opinionated about every aspect of the show imaginable; it was often hard to have a lively or civilized discussion because if you had an unpopular opinion, you were just plain WRONG. Times have certainly changed for Doctor Who, and I really feel that the new incarnation (Series 1 - the current) are far superior in every aspect than the old version (Hartnell through McCoy/ McGann), while being very respectful of the show's heritage and original spirit. I applaud Moffatt for what he's doing --- the show needs to stay fresh and interesting, while also reflecting the current social mood.

I actually used to watch the show in the 80s, but was too young to understand it, so it was only something I used to watch in passing.

Yes I totally agree about the change of the show, whilst still being true to its background.

I really think it needed quite a huge revamp and change and if it wanted to compete with the TV market of nowadays, it needed the Moffatt factor to give it a boost. And its worked I think.

I guess in fandom you will find fans who love things so much they dont want what they love about the show to change or want new things too soon etc.

Tarathemis wrote:
I think what I appreciate most about Matt Smith's portrayal is the contrast of his youthful appearance (the youngest actor ever to have the part) with his sense of weariness; you can see the hundreds of years of his experiences, both good and bad, written in his face.

Totally.
He is quite magical in that he is young, looks young most of the time, but can really act like an old,quirky, mad man and pull it off so well. I think this season (Season 6) he is really quite comfortable and found his own place in how he wants to portray the 11th Dr. His 1st year was quite different, in that he was still very youthful. But even then, he managed to possess the age and experience of the Dr at the very same time as being fresh, sexy and handsome. It was quite spell binding.

Now, I think due to fans and critics response (not something he should really worry about but perhaps subconsciously he is) he has made the Dr less of the young gorgeous guy and much more weird and old man-ish. I think his ability to act this way and work on it all like that is fab. Theres also that point that when the DR 1st regenerates into his new body, he takes time to adjust to himself, so thats a great plot device for any new actor to the role who is finding their groove with it all.

Tarathemis wrote:

So many people pissed and moaned about how young Matt Smith was when his casting was announced, claiming that the show would like like "High School Musical" or some crap like that. It was ridiculous. I had no quibble with the Matt Smith's age, as I had been a big Peter Davison fan back in the day. (His youthful look was quite a departure from the first four actors.) I personally think the combination of the youthful outward appearance works perfectly: the Doctor can be so childlike, and yet wise, with a dose of anger about the horrors he has seen as well as wide-eyed wonder at the amazing universe before him. He is a tragically lonely figure to me, and that makes his relationships with the humans around him all the more heart-breaking.

YES YES YES!! I heard all about the moaning and you know, the moaning still goes on. People like to add in now and then that they will always love the 10th Dr. Maybe I will always love the 11th Dr after he goes and the years pass. Theres one flaw, that the producers can have gold in their hands with a perfect Dr, but know one day they will have to find someone to be equally as good if not more so. In the UK, Matt Smith, despite all the moaning, has really quite grabbed all ages of this country by storm, especially children and teenagers. And thats a whole new fandom right there. But he is also appealing to older people, to men...its ideal.

Its so funny cause my 4 year old son, he doesnt quite GET that there are different Dr's, though I think he does the best he can, but he calls each of them his own pet names. 11 is the Happy Doctor, 10 is the Angry Dr, the very 1st one is the Old Dr, the 7th is the Umbrella Dr... He calls Matt Smith the Happy Dr cause he is, most of the time, smiling, laughing and being silly. Whereas he has only seen the 10th Dr be really sad and angry!! LOL

The doctor is such a complex and amazing character, cause of what he has done, what he has experienced and because he regenerates, he does have a childishness about him...I think he somehow embodies all of humans greatest and strongest flaws; emotions, traits, loves, desires, and curiousness, thats why he so appealing to watch. Also the other nice thing is he rarely is meant to love women in a sexual way or have that be his main thing to do, so the scripts can concentrate on his journey and the stories a lot easier, but still have that sexual tension, if wanted. He's an alien that is a man, so he can be attractive to humans but also completely unattainable.

Tarathemis wrote:
So, yes, I am definitely not a teenager anymore (thank goodness), but love the show with a geeky passion, so I am glad to discuss it with you. smile

Did I mention, !!!!

I have not got this obsessed about any TV or character or actor since The X Files. Now that is saying something for me. Seeing as the show finished nearly 10 years ago now.

I will always probably obsess about TXF, but after it finished, nothing really came along and grabbed me. Nothing. I might have liked some shows, but I never obsessed about any since TXF.

Dr Who has completely made me an obsessive fan again, I feel like a teenager myself again!! Its almost the same as my time when i loved TXF, cause I had no one to share it with then and now with DR Who, apart from you, theres no one else I have found who wants to talk about the stuff I do. Not yet anyways.

You should have seen me yesterday, running home with my kids, after buying some pizzas for dinner, to get back and cook dinner in time to watch the show and simply having the TV on an hour before the show starts, watching whatever show comes on before DR Who comes on, just to be there in time, make sure its recording! No adverts on BBC, so running out of the room to get something and run back again and try to not need to run off again whilst its on kind-of -thing!!!! Then I am all giddy and silly afterwards! SUCH FUN! chicken dance

Last edited by gorgclaud on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:06 am

Tarathemis wrote:Your Matt Smith vids, by the way, are wonderful! I am always a sucker for Time Lord angst. Lovely work!!

iloveyou big hug

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:15 pm

I spent £20 on Dr Who Magazines today! Its like the big times of the X Files for me! Dr Who's popularity is everywhere and I cannot resist it!!!!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:14 pm

I know exactly what you mean about not having a good show to obsess over since X-Files. Ironically, even though I started watching TXF at the end of Season 1 (after my best friend -- the one I met through Who fandom -- berated me for the millionth time for having NOT checked it out yet!!), I didn't go into full-blown-obsession-mode until Doggett came along. I was always a very big XF fan, but had started to become jaded during Season 5, so the momentum was dying until RP hit the screen. By then, I had moved out of L.A. (where all of my fellow-obsessive-fandom-geeky-friends were), and was on my own in Phoenix. I had found a few friends who were into fandom in Phoenix, but NONE of them understood the Doggett-Love. As far as they were concerned, TXF was dead once Duchovny started his exit. I had no one to share the fun with.

Doctor Who has been different, in that the show evolves and changes as part of its design.... and has SUCH a history, unlike any other show. (Including Star Trek, which might be considered blasphemy to say by some fans, but that's how I see it.) I am hoping to see the latest Who episode this weekend; it's a holiday here in the States on Monday, so I'll have an extra day to try and track down the show via a few of my friends who no doubt DVR'd it on BBC America.

Without having seen the latest episode, I have to say that I find it very interesting to see what they've done with the evolution of Amy. Married.... AND a mother? What a new and different dynamic this creates between companion and Doctor. For so many Doctors, it was the standard young-cute-female-traveling-with-the-wise-Doctor. The sexual tension that they've played up a lot more directly in the newer series (Eccleston/ Tennant/ Smith) has been an extremely welcome acknowledgement for some of us "old-school" Who fans. We always knew it was there somewhere, but in the "old days" they made it so chaste and always played it safe. Now, however, it gets to go in a slightly different direction, which I really enjoy. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing Matt Smith get some full-on sexy scenes to play, but...... wink

I also LOVE how Amy was introduced.... it was about damn time that they explored what would happen to a child who had had an encounter with the Doctor. How many poor humans throughout history either came to believe they were mad, or were considered mad by others, after interacting with a Time Lord? I loved that they finally addressed that possibility.

OK, that's all of my ramblings for now..... I have some chores to attend to before I go to bed. smile

Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:28 am

Yes, i think thats exactly what the new series does, it addresses those curiosities about the Dr and what would happen if he met a young girl and then came back too late, she grew up and needed counselling. Its a fab idea and done in a bittersweet, heartbreaking way. And I love the way at the end of series 5, the Dr realised that cause Amelia had no mum or dad and was in a massive home by herself that something was wrong. He rebooted the Earth and now she has a family and no need of therapy!

And, I thought Rory and Amy being married on the Tardis might be a weird and boring but it really isnt. Its cute, cause it addresses how the Dr knows nothing or not much about women or relationships. Like, he has a bunk bed for them and Rory asks him for a double bed and the Dr doesnt understand why they wouldnt want a bunk bed! LOL

And yes, man you have got to see the storyline of the baby. Cause its a HUGE plot twist! Its perfect. It seems Steven Moffat had these ideas since he started the new series last year and now they are all unfolding. When you watch the series 5, there are hints as to whats going on in series 6. Its very clever.

I made another Who vid about Amelia meeting the Dr and also what happened in the latest ep (Let's Kill Hitler) but BBC America blocked it on YouTube, so its only on Facebook. I did just save a new vid of just girly crush loving of Matt Smith.

And yes!! I would love to see Smith have some sexy scenes!! :thud; though that might be too much for me to handle!! AHHAHA!! It was bad enough last year when they had him fall out of the shower and then dropped his towel when he ran out of the bathroom. I cant watch that scene with my husband, I just blush!! LOL.

I love the way they crushed the young cute girl with the doctor idea so early on in series 5. Theres still that sexual tension and possible idolisation Amy has for the Dr but when she tried to seduce him and he turned her down and didnt quite understand what she was doing, it really cancelled any thing that could happen between them. It made us remember that the Dr just loves his Tardis and time travelling and most of the time has no clue about women or sex! But there are those rumours about him being with certain women, but he acts like he has never kissed a woman in his life! I LOVE IT! Its beautifully childish!

Last edited by gorgclaud on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:07 pm

Ahh, I found a way to share Facebook link of the vid I made that YT blocked...WARNING - If you havent seen the latest ep, this vid contains dialogue and scenes from it. So if you dont like Spoliers then dont watch yet! LOL

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:40 pm

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:12 pm

My Dr Who Vidding Website is now updated with a new look and my latest four videos that I made recently.

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarathemis on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:36 pm

AWESOME videos!! woohoo for Matt Smith!! woohoo

Tarathemis
Toothpick Man

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:22 am

Thank you!!!!!! iloveyou

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:48 pm

My latest Dr Who vid. Man the latest ep had in me in tears. If you aint seen it, dont watch this vid, as it contains scenes from that ep.

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cindersmommy on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:30 pm

I used be able watch the good Doctor, but I got rid of the channel it was on. blush

Cindersmommy
Pod Monster

http://lilangel387.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgclaud on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:16 am

NOOOOOOO!!!!! Get it back! You would love the new series!

You Tube:  

Websites:

gorgclaud
Super Psychic Mulder!

Back to top Go down