"City of God" (2002) (aka "Cidade de Deus" [Portuguese])

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"City of God" (2002) (aka "Cidade de Deus" [Portuguese])

Post by Sue866 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:41 pm

I rented "City of God" via Netflix and watched it this weekend. It's not a movie I'd normally rent, but it's #17 in the Top 250 movies of all time according to IMDB website, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm not afraid of foreign movies and subtitles at all.

The short synopsis is "Two boys growing up in a violent neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro take different paths: one becomes a photographer, the other a drug dealer." The main character narrates the story of the drug wars in one slum in Brazil. The story is based on real events, as well. Even some of the actors are survivors of this "war".

I am not very good at reviewing these type of films, so I am going to quote a main review on imdb.com from trelloskilos-1 -
Cidade de Deus seems to have a lot of praise on the IMDb boards, and with good reason too. It simply is, in my opinion, one of the best contemporary films ever made.

Based on true events and characters who live in the overlooked and poverty stricken slums in the shadows of Rio de Janiero, where life expectancy doesn't reach the 30's and drug dealers are kings.

The tale of the City of God, and its myriad of characters is told by Rocket, a young man who struggles to make something of his life, other than to wind up another victim of drugs or gang wars.

Not only are the characters in City of God absolutely fascinating, and also very endearing, but also convincingly acted by groups of young and unknown actors. The stories are well-told, and at times, funny, and at others, brutally shocking.

The cinematic style of the film gives a nod to Tarantino, with some clever time-jumping, freeze-framing, and texts indicating another chapter of the film. In every sense, a bit of a Brazillian "Pulp Fiction" or "Goodfellas", but with its own unique flavour to it.

The City of God is a marvel, and a highly recommended film to watch, but not recommended for the over-sensitive or easily distressed.

Just thought I'd share with this forum this likely unknown movie. shy

Sue866
"PASS" - Love, Modell

Back to top Go down

Re: "City of God" (2002) (aka "Cidade de Deus" [Portuguese])

Post by Dana Doggett on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:06 pm

You know, the friend I'm cat-sitting for may have this movie. If she does I will definitely bring it home with me tomorrow to watch. Sounds good. I love foreign films, I only wish that my local video rental stores had more foreign selection, but no, just stupid American thoughtless movies, seems to be the norm these days.

I love the sound of the Portuguese language, so pretty.

- Ekatarina Gordeeva

Dana Doggett
John Doggett's Mistress

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top