MSR Relationship Timeline

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MSR Relationship Timeline

Post by Cassiopeia on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 13:46

I've been thinking a lot lately about the progression of the relationship, from professional to romantic, between Mulder and Scully. The episodes listed below are episodes where I feel steps were taken in their friendship that progressed towards the two of them hooking up as a couple. I'm only covering up to the end of season 7 in this initial post since I haven't given a lot of thought to the MSR in seasons 8 and 9, and IWTB.

REDUX II - This is the episode where I positively, 100%, feel that Mulder fully realized the extent of his feelings for Scully. I think before this he knew that he cared for her and loved her, but I don't think it was until he faced losing her to death that he really sat down and realized that she's much more to him than just an FBI partner or best friend, she's the only woman in his life that he loves completely and he cannot comprehend going on without her.

THE END - This is the first episode that I think shows Scully's feelings for Mulder have become more than just professional and friendship. In "The End" she showcases jealousy over Mulder's past history and relationship with Diana Fowley.

FIGHT THE FUTURE - Scully goes to tell Mulder that she's being transferred to Salt Lake City, Utah and that Mulder has never needed her. He proceeds to tell her that she saved him and kept him honest, that he doesn't want to do this on his own and doesn't think that he can. Mulder leans in for a kiss, Scully does look a bit surprised by this but doesn't pull back, and their almost kiss is interrupted by an Africanized honey bee.

TRIANGLE - At the end, perhaps under the influence of drugs, Mulder tells Scully that he loves her. She responds with an "oh brother" and walks away. I believe that Mulder knows that he does love her, and knows that she's still afraid to face her true feelings for him and admit them, not only to herself, but to him as well.

MILAGRO - "Agent Scully is already in love." - Phillip Padgett, not that a lonely, stalker-ish writer would honestly know exactly how Scully feels, this episode's sole purpose seems to be the writers wanting to let viewers know that yes, Scully is in love with Mulder.

THE UNNATURAL - Mulder and Scully hand out in the office on a Saturday. There's no case that they are working, they're just spending time together. They are flirty with each other in the first scene of this episode. CUT TO: the last scene of the episode in which Mulder and Scully hit baseballs. In my mind, this is kind of the Mulder and Scully version of a first date - it's not really official, but they are just having fun together, being close to each other, and forgetting about Mulder's quest and FBI work. Again, Scully seems hesitant about Mulder being so close to her, but relaxes and has fun as the baseball hitting continues.

MILLENNIUM - Mulder and Scully share their first kiss at the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve.

HOLLYWOOD A.D. - Even though Mulder and Scully are not romantically involved or "dating" at this point, they take the opportunity to use a FBI credit card for a night out on the town in Hollywood. It's likely that they went out on a date after leaving "The Lazarus Bowl" movie premiere. The timestamp of this episode (the movie premiere timeline) is appx. January 2000 since the beginning of the episode stated that Wayne hanging out with them was 18 months earlier, and a dead body toe tag reveals the timestamp of the flashback was July 14, 1998 - 18 months later it would be January 2000.

PER MANUM - I think the most logical place for the flashbacks of season 8's "Per Manum" are sometime around the era when "En Ami" aired. In the flashbacks we saw Scully ask Mulder if he could donate so she could try to get pregnant through in vitro fertilization - this suggests that Mulder and Scully are not yet romantically involved, nor are they already having sex with each other. Mulder tells her "I just wouldn't want this to come between us." in response to him having given thought to her asking him to donate his sperm. This indicates that the flashback is before "all things" when they first had sex together. I figure "En Ami" came after the "Per Manum" flashbacks simply because I fully believe that the CSM had something to do with Scully being able to conceive, perhaps while she was sleeping/knocked out/drugged he was able to activate the chip in her neck in order to make it possible for her to conceive a child (Knowle Rohrer told us in season 8 that the chip in her neck was the reason why she was able to get pregnant), here are his exact words: "Six years ago, Agent Scully was taken in a military operation staged as an abduction. They put a chip in the back of her neck to monitor her. It was also used to make her pregnant with the first organic version of that same super-soldier."

ALL THINGS - This is likely the first time Mulder and Scully had sex. All signs in the episode point to the fact that Mulder and Scully are not involved at this point, Daniel says that Scully has her own life now and she responds with " I don't know what I have." - this doesn't sound like a woman who is romantically involved with Mulder. I think after Scully realizes she is no longer the same person who wanted to spend her life with Daniel, that she realized her true feelings for Mulder, and after all she had contemplated and learned about herself she was the one that decided to reveal her feelings/love for Mulder to not only him, but to herself as well. They not only consummated their sexual relationship in "all things", I think this episode was the consummation of their romantic relationship as well. With the chip in Scully's neck activated to make her capable of getting pregnant, I believe it is this time in "all things" when baby William was conceived.

JE SOUHAITE - At the end of the episode we see Mulder and Scully hanging out at Mulder's apartment, drinking beers and watching a movie together. There's no evidence that they are hanging out to work on a case, they are hanging out as friends (lovers) at this point, just simply spending quality time with each other.

REQUIEM - Scully isn't feeling well so she goes to Mulder's motel room for comfort. She crawls into his bed and he crawls in next to her and wraps his arm around her. This indicates that for certain their relationship has progressed to this level of intimacy regardless of how vague it (their relationship) has been up to this point. Scully announces that she is pregnant at the end of the episode and it is a popular belief that the child is the result of Mulder and Scully's sexual relationship.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: MSR Relationship Timeline

Post by Funk Mulder on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 21:27

P disappointed we didn't get a hot sex scene out of all of this. just sayin.
Funk Mulder
"PASS" - Love, Modell

http://www.hahajustkiddingidon'thaveasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 21:34

LOL So true! Actually, it was retarded to develop their romantic relationship so vaguely, that took a lot away from MSR fans who had stuck with the show forever in the hopes of seeing HOW Mulder and Scully actually would hook up, and then to not even show it at all, not even a conversation about their relationship between the two... what a serious letdown.

And this coming from a MSR Noromo.
Cassiopeia
Browncoat

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Funk Mulder on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 21:36

Yeah, you know, it did just sort of "happen." No explanation, really, just "I used your sperm to have an alien baby so let's fall in love." Awkward!

Anyway, I was hoping for some side boob or a little butt cheek or something, I mean, this is FOX afterall. tongue
Funk Mulder
"PASS" - Love, Modell

http://www.hahajustkiddingidon'thaveasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Veiled Vesta on Fri 09 Dec 2011, 01:31

IWTB did have the double-entendre bed scene. One of the very few scenes that I enjoyed in the movie and it was too short (and kinda ruined by Mulder's awful looking, "scratchy beard". Why couldn't he shave it off before he and Scully had pillow talk?)

But even there we didn't see some Californication style sexin'. We didn't even get Mulder in a red speedo! He showed them off to Krycek but Scully only saw some red trunks. What a load.

Meanwhile, I have to compliment you on your list Cassie! And totally word on not tackling their "moments" in seasons 8 & 9 as well as the second movie. I mean, I know they were there and super shippy but... well, I'm sure there's a compilation on some other site/forum of all their moments in seasons 8 & 9 and IWTB.
Veiled Vesta
Quiet Willy

http://cloakedhestia.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jsabat28 on Sat 10 Dec 2011, 00:37

I have to agree with Cassie...it was kind of a let down.....
jsabat28
RIP, Sweetie - 1974-2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top